View Single Post
Old 09-10-2013, 05:00 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Markakis is a left-handed hitter who handles right-handed pitching better than Dunn. He hits left-handed pitching better than Dunn. He plays defense better than Dunn.
Markakis doesn't hit for anywhere near the power of Dunn. In fact, Markakis' offense has been declining the last couple of years and, let's face it, he wouldn't come without some risk. But a change of scenery might help Markakis and with only one year remaining on his contract, I think he may be worth a gamble.

Quote:
Maybe this deal makes sense in some fantasy league where general managers are looking at isolated stats rather than building teams that win games, but in the real world this trade only works if Markakis continues to underperform and Dunn turns around and has a better season than he ever has before.
Not true. In a fantasy league, no one would trade Dunn's almost guaranteed 30 homers and 90 RBI for a guy who has been inconsistent with the bat but always good with the glove. In any 4 x 4 or 5 x 5 fantasy leagues, there are no points for defense.

Quote:
The reason you like this trade, the reason most Sox fans would like this trade, the reason I would love to see this trade pulled off is that it would be an unrealistic trade heavily favoring the White Sox.
We'll have to agree to disagree on this point. I see this as a fairly even deal but unlikely because Buck Showalter does not seem to favor one dimensional players like Dunn.