View Single Post
Old 09-12-2013, 12:21 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Eh, he's what? 21 years old? And he just hit his first MLB homer. Boys will be boys. Frankly, I get what McCann and the Braves were maybe trying to say to him... Don't be a dick or you'll wind up with a fastball in your ear, but there's more mature ways to handle it than by confronting the kid at home plate when he finishes his HR trot. Frankly, they were more out of line, IMO.

It's only a couple of starts and for all the jokes about how pathetic the Marlins are, they have had a knack for developing young players so if they think Jose Fernandez can afford to miss the last 2 1/2 weeks of the season, that's they're thing. I don't necessarily mind bringing guys along slowly in their first year or so in the Majors, pitching itself is inherently dangerous and most young pitchers do not know how to pace themselves appropriately for a full 162-game season until they have done it.
I was just surprised that he showed up the pitcher after he hit the homerun. A 21 year old knows that's not a good thing to do in the majors. I can't say the Marlins are wrong for shutting him down either but I think building up confidence and arm strength is more important than thinking that missing 3 starts will somehow save his arm for future seasons.