View Single Post
Old 10-24-2013, 09:30 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn View Post
What am I twisting exactly? And how is his signing with a contender the only fact? I would think the money involved is also a factor.

Fact: He signed with a contender.
Fact: he signed a one year deal for $7 Mil

Seems to be more than one fact there if I'm not mistaken.

Also, I haven't made a point. I asked a question. I'd be interested in knowing if someone offered him more money. The only fact for me is, I don't know for sure why AJ signed with Texas, and neither do you. Maybe it was because they were a contender. Maybe it was for the money. I haven't had the chance to ask him.
AJ signed with Texas on December 20th, which is pretty late in the offseason for a free agent. There was marginal interest in AJ, to the point were articles were being written pondering the possible reasons. The Yankees kicked the tires but were weary of his defense. He got shockingly very little attention. Texas came in late and signed him, and it is accurate to say that Texas offered the highest salary. They may have made the only offer to him.

By the way, I'd love to see him come back just because we are now lost at that position. But, I hope he makes as much as he can wherever he goes. The dude took $2 million in 2011 to come back to the Sox (after they signed Dunn and re-signed Konerko, who also took deferred money). Even though he made $6 mil in 2012, the 2011 pay cut was substantial compared to what he had been making the previous five seasons.

2013 Attendance Record: 7-9, .438