View Single Post
Old 11-18-2013, 03:39 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kba View Post
No kidding. That was a brutal at-bat by Beckert in the 9th.

Interesting to see the Cubs pinch-hit for Kessinger with the game on the line. It was his rookie season and he was struggling offensively. It would be three more years before his first (of six) All-Star selections.

That 3rd base camera angle for balls hit to the outfield was strange even for that era. WGN also appears not to have a camera on the first base side, which left them without a way to get a good shot of right-handed hitters in the batters box. I like the field-level shot to the left of the catcher, though.

I didn't see any fans in the stands wearing team logo merchandise at all, except for a couple kids with caps. When did the marketers figure out that grown adults would spend money trying to dress like players?
And it was only pretty young kids that wore caps, if you wore a cap after like the 6th grade you were considered sort of a nerd.
The only caps I bought between the mid 50s and probably the late 80s were a Sox cap and Cub hat that you had to wear as a vendor when I sold Coke or peanuts in the parks in 1962.

Someone mentioned the cameras, back then they did the whole game with just 3, the CF camera, behind the plate and the 3b camera. Why the 3b camera? Because the WGN booth was located behind the Cubs dugout on the catwalk just below the upper deck. They also used that camera for the 10th inning show as Brick would do a 90 degree turn towards the camera which was located outside and just left of the booth and go on with his interview. At Comiskey the broadcasting booths were behind home plate in the upper deck and they used a camera there and also in CF and the low one behind the plate besides a 3b camera. By the late 60s both parks had first base cameras.

Every once in awhile we got a glimpse of legendary PA announcer Pat Piper, from the CF camera he was just to the left of the backstop screen on the firstbase side. Piper and Sox PA announcer Tates Johnson back then not only did the PA stuff but also supplied the umps with baseballs through out the game.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 11-18-2013 at 06:07 PM.