View Single Post
Old 12-31-2013, 11:17 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
You took a lot of heat on this thread. Actually you've taken some hits from the beginning on Dunn. I don't assume that you think Trent Dilfer was better than Marino, or Vin Scully isn't entitled to an opinion. Nothing in your posts, and I try real hard to pay attention to everyone around here, would suggest that. I would have to say that for the most part I agree with you. He's right up there with Claudell Washington, Jaime Navarro and David Wells for me. Have a long and happy life but please be gone.
"Worthless" may be a subjective word in this discussion, but the pile-on is unwarranted when you consider Dunn's true worth to the Sox, which would be the amount of money the Sox would have to eat of the $15 million due for 2014 to trick the Astros into taking Dunn back to the NL to play 1B. Take that dollar amount and apply it to the expected offensive production from Dunn (sub .200 hitter with record breaking strikeouts, only one of six qualifying major leaguers with a negative WAR last year).

I actually agree with the original poster. Dunn is about as worthless of a major league player, applying his contract to the situation, that has ever existed.

Edit- to be fair, Konerko was also one of those six negative WARs last year. However, to my point, he's making a buck and a half next season.

2014 Attendance Record: 4-5; 0.444