View Single Post
Old 10-06-2018, 02:01 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
The wins totals may have been a little inflated, but that still doesnít have to mean the Aís didnít play great baseball, no? Plus the West was the only division that didnít have any truly godawful teams in it. That bullpen is one of the most singularly dominant group of relievers Iíve ever seen. Chapman is an absolute wizard at third and can really swing it. Isnít it fun watching a little guy like Khris Davis hit balls to the moon? Even that kid Laureano looks really exciting. Throw that in with a solid group of veterans like Lucroy, Lowrie, Semien, and Piscotty, and I think itís hard to argue they didnít earn those wins as much as any other team.

Besides, given the finite number of players in MLB at any given time, you could argue that talent level is a zero sum game. Just because the Oís, Royals, and White Sox fielded an unusually number of bad players doesnít mean the Red Sox and Yankees and Aís won games they didnít deserve to win, it just means they had an unusually high number of great players. I donít think itís really fair to call that watered down.

The A's are my local team. Houses on my block fly A's banners. The baseball I watched this year was mostly the A's on local television. They won a lot of games where they played bad baseball, made fundamental mistakes, throwing to the wrong base, running into outs. Semien, who had some shaky games defensiely, led the league in outs made for most of the year, although he ended up finishing second, one behind Lindor.

Half the league wasn't trying to win. Of course that affected win totals of contending teams. As long as baseball allows teams to intentionally field losing teams with the reward of high draft picks, as long as baseball allows, sadly even encourages non-contenders to field less competitive teams down the stretch by trading off quality players at the end of July for prospects, win totals are going to be inflated. This year in the American League it was extreme.