View Single Post
Old 05-25-2009, 04:18 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditka v. God View Post
I've noticed recently that most of the attention most people are giving to our minor league system surrounds the "uber-prospects" in our system. (i.e. Beckham, Viciedo, Flowers, JorDanks, Poreda, etc.) I was wondering which players the die-hard minor league followers had their eye on that doesn't really get their due attention.

My top five currently are:

C.J. Retherford
- (Birmingham, 2B) - 23 year old undrafted free agent that might be the best pure ballplayer on a loaded Barons squad. Reminds me of a hard-nosed, throwback.

Daniel Hudson/Dexter Carter - (Winston-Salem, SP/Kannapolis, SP) - I put these two together because they're both from Old Dominion, drafted in the same draft, both have been absolutely sick since entering professional ball and both are best friends to boot.

Christian Marrero - (W-S, LF) - younger brother of Eli Marrero, Christian started the season off on a tear and made JorDanks look bad for a while. Good baseball pedigree, seems to be an advanced hitter for his age.

Brent Morel - (W-S, 3B) - last year's third round pick, came flying out of the gate last year and after a slow start this year has really poured it on lately. Currently has 6HR and 10SB this year. (only 1CS) Maybe potentially a homeless man's David Wright?

Stefan Gartrell - (Birmingham, OF) - nothing from his stats really pop out at you but I've always liked how he's managed to adjust to every league he's been pushed to. I get the feeling that he could be a sleeper, Ellis Burks-type potentially.

Anyone else have any "underrated favorites"?
. If those are your underrated favorites, I`d say, "Get off the crack pipe.