View Single Post
Old 09-02-2019, 09:20 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
The end of the season can’t get here quickly enough, particularly if the Sox are not going to promote any of their interesting prospects. So I’m already looking ahead to what I would do with the 40-man roster situation, the Rule 5 draft, free agency, and going in to the 2020 season when a 26-man roster must be assembled from the 40-man roster:

1. Subtract/DFA/outright/don’t re-sign/trade/non-tender: Castillo, Jay, Tilson, Palka, Skole, Goins, Yolmer, Cordell, Engel, Zavala, Detwiler, Santiago, Osich, Vieira, Banuelos, Ruiz

Most of these guys are chaff. Or they are more expensive for their level of production.

2. Add to the 40-man roster:

Returning from the 60-day IL: Rodon, Kopech, Burr

2016 draftees to protect from the Rule 5 draft: Dunning, Lambert, Burdi, Hansen, Rutherford, Flores, Mendick, Mercedes

3. Free Agency: Sign Cole (SP), Grandal (C), Nova (SP)

4. Trade negligible prospect(s) to Texas for Shin Soo Choo (RF) and his full salary

5. Give Abreu (1B) the qualifying offer

Just before the 2020 season begins, promote to the 40-man roster and to the 26-man active roster: Robert (CF), Madrigal (2B)

Lineup: Choo, Moncada, Eloy, Grandal, Abreu, Collins/McCann, TA, Robert, Madrigal

Bench: Leury (IF/OF), Basabe (OF), Mendick (IF)

Rotation: Cole, Giolito, Lopez, Cease, Nova (Kopech starts rehab in Charlotte and when ready usurps the worst of the five)

Bullpen: Choose best 8 from among Bummer, Burdi, Burr, Colome, Cordero, Covey, Frare, Fry, Fulmer, Hamilton, Herrera, Marshall (4 stay in Charlotte)

Send to the minors: Adolfo (AA), Flores (AAA), Hansen (AA), Medieros (AAA), Mercedes (AAA), Rutherford (AA/AAA)

Given the timing of their TJ surgeries/rehabs, they are almost certain to start on the 60-day IL: Dunning, Rodon, Lambert

By my count, placing Dunning, Rodon, and Lambert on the 60-day IL would allow three slots on the 40-man roster for veteran non-roster invitees to provide needed veteran depth in Charlotte, ideally a starting pitcher, a catcher, and a shortstop.
This is a decent enough plan, but Covey and Fulmer are dog crap and both need to be in the first wave released. I'd much rather use a roster spot to keep Yolmer around than either of them. But they need to find a couple more actual major league pitchers.

While we're on the subject of dog crap, Renteria needs to go.