View Single Post
Old 06-12-2018, 02:30 PM
Winner 2019 PTC Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
You're right. I'm optimistic regarding the developmental progress lots of our players have shown.

Kannapolis has been dominating because so many of their players are, frankly, better/older/more experienced than their low-A competition. Many of them belong in high-A. So while adjustment is normal and likely, I expect those that they do promote to Winston-Salem - like Gonzalez and Robert, for instance - not to take too long to adjust to high-A.

At the same time, Kannapolis has been getting increasingly solid production from a growing stable of players who still aren't expected to get midseason promotions. They also likely will get an injection of talent to offset their losses through promotion, potentially Nick Madrigal and Steele Walker, who some scouts regarded as the best and second-best college hitters in the draft.

In addition, while some movement is to be expected, I don't expect massive waves of promotions from Winston-Salem to Birmingham. Yes, I expect probably two outfielders to be promoted in order to break up the logjam - my guesses are Booker and Basabe - but that would leave an exceptionally strong outfield/lineup at Winston-Salem with Gonzalez, Robert, and Rutherford, plus Call. In addition, encouraging signs on Adolfo's elbow suggest that he may be able to avoid surgery, start a throwing program, and thus at least be able to continue as full-time DH for the remainder of this season. All of that together bodes well for Winston-Salem's second-half chances.

Birmingham is the biggest wild card. I completely agree with you that the jump from A+ to AA is the second-hardest jump (behind AAA to the majors). A big part of their production has come from Eloy, who is likely headed to Charlotte after the AA All-Star game, but they also have gotten lots of production from Collins and Zavala. They also will be adding Alec Hansen to an increasingly solid pitching staff. Finally, the Southern League Northern Division is exceptionally tight. Every team is between .460 and .556, and the Barons have more home games in the second half than they had in the first half. I'd say they have as good a chance as any team to win the Northern Division second half title.
Any logic to A and A plus being strong because of.the coaching? Everything I have heard about the guy in Kanny is that he is brilliant. Same with Omar. Could be the right guys to have at the early development stages for these guys.

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.