View Single Post
Old 10-10-2019, 03:08 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Isn't this one of those "buy them out" things like Robert? Some articles I read said the fee to bid might go over $25M which would of course require a fine for exceeding their budget for foreign player signings (again, like Robert). Better be damned sure this guy is the real deal for that much money.
This was the article I read (probably should have linked it in my original post): https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/wh...ason-hot-stove

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbcsports
My guess is he’ll agree to a minor league contract, he’ll get a camp invite and that he’ll win a major league job out of camp because he’s just a really useful guy to have. But nobody’s going to be throwing guaranteed money at him. If they do, I would be surprised.”

Based on that evaluation, Tsutsugo doesn’t sound like he’d slide into the middle of the White Sox lineup and mash a ton of homers, providing the pop the team needs to help vault itself out of rebuilding mode and into playoff contention. At the same time, a projection of a minor league deal makes him sound like an intriguing option considering the potentially low cost. A minor league contract would make for a much smaller release fee than the ones you might typically associate with the biggest names to come out of Japan.