View Single Post
Old 07-25-2018, 05:17 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
I see it the opposite. Of course I seem to see everything the opposite of people around here these days.
I believe that the drafting and talent evaluation has been the problem.
Getz came from outside the organization. maybe he spent a little time with Bell but not much. I think he's done a good job.
Hostetler, on the other hand, has been with the Sox for nearly 2 decades (he left for a couple of years and returned). I don't see a big change in the draft other than more college players. I can't judge his performance until another year or so when the players should be matriculating into the majors.

Tatis wasn't a failure to develop - it was a failure evaluate. San Diego didn't develop Tatis in 2 months; the Sox developed him and he blew up with the Padres.

Teams like the Astros excel at evaluation (they excel at both). Heck they get Alvarez (top 50 prospect) for the essentially bad pitcher Josh Fields in a slick July 2016 move where they trade for a prospect while still in contention.
You make your breaks.
Its all opinion, but Tatis never really played for the Sox minor league system. He didn't even blow up until his 2nd year in SD. When they signed him he was not a top 20 International prospect.