View Single Post
Old 05-18-2019, 10:53 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
I’ve said previously that, in hindsight, the Samardzija trade was a bust.

But that’s only because Samardzija wasn’t a terribly effective pitcher.

The players we sent in exchange are OK; Semien seems to be the most productive of the bunch, but as of right now and looking ahead to the future, I’d still rather have Anderson and Moncada on the left side of the infield.

I’m not going to let whether or not Burdi recovers his 102 MPH fastball after TJS affect my assessment of the Samardzija trade.
The biggest problem I have with the Samadzija trade is that it was part of this team's failed policy of burning through whatever little young talent we had in a vain attempt to "go for broke" and win-now with band-aids....and there's no denying that Hahn was part of that failed way of trying to win.

It can also be argued that the Burdi pick was part of that philosophy - pick a player who looks like he's able to move up to the majors quickly instead of best player still on the board. But, that doesn't mean I'm writing off Burdi either after a few appearances in AA as he moves back up after TJS.

I truly hope that old, failed philosophy is gone. Whether we like it or not, we're stuck with the same top guys at the top (JR, KW, RH) now as before. Not ideal, but this won't change as long as JR is owner.