View Single Post
Old 05-05-2019, 05:08 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
I just love how individual game losses are bait for the incessant Hahn hate.

I’m old enough to remember how the 2000 team hit a bunch and the rotation was assembled with bailing wire and spit.

Over the next few years it seemed like Buehrle was the only decent starter as we suffered the David Wells disappointment and the Todd Ritchie disaster. Jon Garland was wildly inconsistent and plenty of Sox fans wanted him run out of town. Bartolo Colon was stolen in a highway robbery, gave us one good season, and was gone. Coop fixed Esteban Loaiza and we flipped him for Jose Contreras, who was no sure thing in mid-2004. We traded surplus prospects for Freddy Garcia and then signed him to an extension, Garland finally clicked, El Duque provided veteran moxie, and we won the freaking World Series.

What happened to the 2005 Sox has no bearing on what will happen with any individual player on the current club. What happened with Sox pitchers between 2000 and 2005 has no bearing on what might happen with Sox pitchers between 2020 and 2025.

But wow, looking back to 2000, or even earlier to the late 90s, our pitching situation sure looked bleak then, too. Our top pitching prospects in 2000-2001 included Jason Stumm, Kris Honel, Jon Rauch, and Matt Ginter.

We have no idea how the present rebuild will progress.

I get that lots of fans have no more patience.

But none of us - NONE - has any freaking clue what the future holds and I’m really tired of the pronouncements of certain doom as unavoidable as death and taxes.
I think - sometimes - this place suffers from the same thing I hear on sports radio: the over reaction to a fan's feelings (positive or negative) on a game/player/GM, etc.

If you indicate the slightest enjoyment or appreciation of a player it will be spun as you "think he's a first ballot hall of a famer!"

Express some concern about your team's bullpen in the opening series?

"It's 162 games! You can't judge anything yet!"

Or - my favorite - any opinion is met with "there's no way to know right now!"

For Christ's sake it's a message board for fans to talk, vent, etc. Based on some peoples reaction it should be shut down because there's no reason to discuss anything. It's either too early, too late, we are not supposed to win, etc, etc.

I don't think expressing genuine concern for the pitching side of this rebuild should make you a "Hahn Hater." But it does.

There will be no one rooting harder for Lopez and Giolito the next four months. Hoping they establish themselves as rotation mainstays.

But if they don't? Best not voice concern about it here, lest you be damned as an ignorant "hater."