View Single Post
Old 05-04-2019, 09:23 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
When will that be measured? When will the rebuild be final?

My macro disappointment is that it doesn't appear to me that Hahn has changed the infrastructure at all. Now it doesn't surprise me, as Hahn learned the game from KW. But still ridiculously light on analytics, lifers or friends in key positions, they aren't all in on the international scene. And excuses galore.

On a micro perspective, does Hahn know how to build a baseball team? He already failed once, and nearly lit the place on fire in his last month of his first attempt. That's an undeniable fact.
Closing in on 3 years from the decision to rebuild, they really have gotten very little off the scrap-heap or in secondary trades. I can't identify one for-sure keeper. Part of it is lack of effort ...they haven't worked the waiver wire or rule 5 like other rebuilders; this entire offseason was spent finding washed up veterans - aka a clownshow - instead rebuilding this team. But that's not a surprise because that's how he tried to build a team from 2014-16. In the meantime, Baltimore, rebuilding for less than a year, has gotten more off the scrapheap than the Sox have in 6 seasons.
The injuries are harmful in 2 ways. Obviously they hurt the rebuild. Second they provide the FO with an ongoing excuse, which will, no doubt be exaggerated and used to cover deficiencies (injuries or not, Burger and Burdi were bad picks, e.g.).
You won’t like the answer but we will know more in the next few years.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...