White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-07-2012, 10:29 PM
Fenway Fenway is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Home of the Stanley Cup - BOSTON
Posts: 31,348
Default NESN: White Sox worst minor league system

http://www.nesn.com/2012/01/orioles-...m-systems.html

Please don't shoot the messenger - just passing it out for debate.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-07-2012, 10:36 PM
soxnut1018 soxnut1018 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,663
Default

NESN: Water is wet
__________________


"If he hit somebody, we canít charge the mound because heís too big." -Adrian Beltre on Adam Dunn
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-07-2012, 11:07 PM
DirtySox DirtySox is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Albany Park
Posts: 11,154
Default

There is no debate. It's awful and has been for a while.

You probably should have posted this in the minor league section.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-07-2012, 11:21 PM
Tragg Tragg is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Gonzales LA
Posts: 12,898
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Didn't we get 3 of the Marlins' top 10 prospects for Ozzie - and we're still the worst?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-07-2012, 11:31 PM
Fenway Fenway is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Home of the Stanley Cup - BOSTON
Posts: 31,348
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Didn't we get 3 of the Marlins' top 10 prospects for Ozzie - and we're still the worst?
The Marlins system wasn't so hot either.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-07-2012, 11:37 PM
Fenway Fenway is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Home of the Stanley Cup - BOSTON
Posts: 31,348
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
There is no debate. It's awful and has been for a while.

You probably should have posted this in the minor league section.

Tough call - as the Sox are possibly in rebuilding mode, but with what?

The damage Dave Wilder did to the White Sox is almost impossible to calculate - and the baseball people I have talked to do not understand how KW has escaped the scandal.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-07-2012, 11:52 PM
thomas35forever thomas35forever is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lombard
Posts: 23,510
Default

We have to prepare to be in for a long wait for success because that's exactly what we're in for.
__________________
Bullpen wanted
Good arms now being accepted at 333 W. 35th Street, Chicago
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-08-2012, 01:40 AM
LoveYourSuit LoveYourSuit is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 12,769
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
We have to prepare to be in for a long wait for success because that's exactly what we're in for.
I disagree. It's still a very winnable division every year.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-08-2012, 12:16 AM
DirtySox DirtySox is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Albany Park
Posts: 11,154
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
Tough call - as the Sox are possibly in rebuilding mode, but with what?

The damage Dave Wilder did to the White Sox is almost impossible to calculate - and the baseball people I have talked to do not understand how KW has escaped the scandal.
It's not just the lack of presence and spending on international talent. Jerry doesn't let Kenny spend on the draft. The Sox routinely stick to slot recommendations and thus end up completely avoiding a huge portion of talent in the draft. Go look at total draft, and bonus expenditure spending. The Sox have been in the bottom routinely for some years now. Couple all this with a dearth of effective scouts, an inability to churn out major leaguers from what talent they do end up drafting, and Kenny's propensity to trade prospects to "win now!" and you have the current situation the Sox are in. The CBA changes to the draft with effectively instituting hard slotting without calling it hard slotting should rectify some of these issues.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-09-2012, 12:57 PM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,309
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
It's not just the lack of presence and spending on international talent. Jerry doesn't let Kenny spend on the draft. The Sox routinely stick to slot recommendations and thus end up completely avoiding a huge portion of talent in the draft. Go look at total draft, and bonus expenditure spending. The Sox have been in the bottom routinely for some years now. Couple all this with a dearth of effective scouts, an inability to churn out major leaguers from what talent they do end up drafting, and Kenny's propensity to trade prospects to "win now!" and you have the current situation the Sox are in. The CBA changes to the draft with effectively instituting hard slotting without calling it hard slotting should rectify some of these issues.
Who was the last player to come up through the Sox system to become a decent MLB starting player for the Sox? Nevermind any all-stars, how about even just a passable MLB starting player?

I'm having a hard time thinking of anyone in the last 10 years. This last 10 years has brought us the likes of Brian Anderson and Josh Fields. Beckham was supposed to be our one homegrown success thanks to our #8 overall pick in 2008, but he's looking more and more like another bust.

Chris Sale looks promising. We'll see what Brent Morel does after his rookie season. Also, it sounds like Addison Reed might be someone to look forward to.

KW has had success in picking up talent from other farms systems via trades (Danks, Floyd, Quentin) but we're several years removed from those successes. That's probably the closest we've come in the last 10 years to developing our own talent.

Aside from the new CBA helping the Sox, is there anything that we can hope current Sox ownership will do improve this organization's lack of talent? I seem to recall that they supposedly had a "shakeup" around 2008 (when they brought in Buddy Bell). It's 3 or 4 years later and things still look pretty bad.

It's not very likely to build a consistently winning organization without having a good farm system as part of the mix.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-09-2012, 09:39 PM
Viva Medias B's Viva Medias B's is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Palos Park, IL
Posts: 12,868
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
http://www.nesn.com/2012/01/orioles-...m-systems.html

Please don't shoot the messenger - just passing it out for debate.
The No. 1 reason KW should be fired.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-09-2012, 10:08 PM
SoxSpeed22 SoxSpeed22 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,751
Default

Chicken or the egg. Yes, KW has overpaid for average or above average players, Gio and Hudson (I'm sure I'm missing some more) would be nice for our team right now. Then again, when you give him jack**** to work with (lack of scouts, both domestic and international, low budget to spend on draft picks), what's he supposed to do?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-10-2012, 02:24 PM
WhiteSox5187 WhiteSox5187 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southside
Posts: 14,318
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxSpeed22 View Post
Chicken or the egg. Yes, KW has overpaid for average or above average players, Gio and Hudson (I'm sure I'm missing some more) would be nice for our team right now. Then again, when you give him jack**** to work with (lack of scouts, both domestic and international, low budget to spend on draft picks), what's he supposed to do?
You can blame Jerry for the lack of money spent on the draft but Kenny is the guy who is supposed to assemble good domestic and international scouts.
__________________

Go Sox!!!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-10-2012, 10:23 PM
Daver's Avatar
Daver Daver is offline
The Grand Wazoo
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: SW Suburbs
Posts: 26,640
Blog Entries: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
You can blame Jerry for the lack of money spent on the draft but Kenny is the guy who is supposed to assemble good domestic and international scouts.
No, the minor league director does that, when KW held that position the farm system was rather highly rated.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:22 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.