White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Alright, time to see what all these changes will bring... GO SOX!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 05:59 AM
WSI High Priest

Post Hawk and Steve

Hawk says chemistry will be better, we will see.
My opinion is you just can't make it happen, there has to be some mutual respect and amity.
We are dealing with 2 huge egos here and if it doesn't work this year I hope the Sox bring in 4 new guys next year because the 2 guys on radio are horrible and the 2 guys on TV dislike each other immensely

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseb...be-better.html

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 02-03-2013 at 06:08 AM.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:18 AM
WSI Personality

I am not quite sure how anyone can be confident they fixed on-air chemistry because if all that was needed was a meeting, I would assume that would have been done before they had a "year and a half" of tension in the booth.

I think it might be time for Hawk to hang it up. Somehow, as his age increases his maturity level decreases. He spends far too much time acting like a petulant child.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:37 AM
WSI Church Elder

Very odd article. While I noticed things were bad between Stone and Hawk in the last month of last year, for him to admit they were bad for the last year and a half is a revalation, and is more serious than a simple meeting at Soxfest will solve. Hawk implies that somebody found the light switch for chemistry and they will simply flick it back on on April 1. Huh?

The second issue that should make broadcasts cringeworthy, is that Hawk and Stone are expected to convey the fun atmosphere of the ballpark through their telecast. This implies that Hawk will limit Yaz stories in favor of commenting on five year olds playing with their nacho helmets....your what hurts?

I think all this does is confirm the fact that Stone is out when his contract is up at the end of the year. Hawk, regrettably, goes nowhere. Keep your eyes on the fill ins for Stoney when he takes his mid season breaks. Not saying whether I'd like him or not, but I wouldn't be surprised if Rowand is given a shot based on his reception at Soxfest.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:04 AM
WSI High Priest

Eh, I think it is what it is. I like both Hawk and Steve, but they're two guys with big egos. When things aren't going well, Hawk can be petulant and argumentative while Steve sometimes just becomes Captain Obvious instead of expanding on in-game situations, which is his forte.

I can't imagine Hawk has too many years left in the broadcast booth and maybe he works on better chemistry or not, who knows.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:14 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylestillman View Post
Very odd article. While I noticed things were bad between Stone and Hawk in the last month of last year, for him to admit they were bad for the last year and a half is a revalation, and is more serious than a simple meeting at Soxfest will solve. Hawk implies that somebody found the light switch for chemistry and they will simply flick it back on on April 1. Huh?

The second issue that should make broadcasts cringeworthy, is that Hawk and Stone are expected to convey the fun atmosphere of the ballpark through their telecast. This implies that Hawk will limit Yaz stories in favor of commenting on five year olds playing with their nacho helmets....your what hurts?

I think all this does is confirm the fact that Stone is out when his contract is up at the end of the year. Hawk, regrettably, goes nowhere. Keep your eyes on the fill ins for Stoney when he takes his mid season breaks. Not saying whether I'd like him or not, but I wouldn't be surprised if Rowand is given a shot based on his reception at Soxfest.
There was a very good thread last year towards the end of the season when we brought specific points regarding the broadcasts that were broken and needed repair. I'm sure Boyer and Grim took note. One point that I made specifically is Stone had done nothing all season to try to sell a ticket to the game. Conveying a fun atmosphere at the park should be 1a on the list of job requirements, right below calling the broadcast. Between the silence and bickering in the booth, both 1 and 1a suffered last year.

I talked to Stone at Soxfest for a minute. While he was being a jag to autograph seekers, I told him I was glad he was coming back. He said "don't listen to what you hear or what you read; I sat down with Jerry four days after the season and told him this is where I want to be." Which, in hindsight, is funny since the only person you had to listen to last year to get a sense of his imminent departure was Stone himself, between his radio gig on Bernstein's show to his last line of the season when he said "life is short and you have to be happy with what you're doing." So, whatever. We'll see what happens.

I love Hawk, but he seemed a bit disconnected at the Fest. Someone asked him to recreate the Joe Crede homerun call from 2005 (vs Clev), and he didn't really understand what they were asking for (JOE CREDE!). Then he tried to overcompensate by turning the BS meter up to 100 by saying this year's team has the best clubhouse chemistry that he's ever seen, in his 28 years with the club, just a notch below 2005 and 1983. Really?
Old 02-03-2013, 10:16 AM
WSI Guru

By the way, you're right on about Rowand. He was fantastic at Soxfest. I know the game runs faster when you're trying to call the action than when you're just sitting and telling stories, but this guy is made to be a broadcaster. I can see him as a color guy on tv at some point in the future. He was smart and genuine, able to get to the point, 1000 times better than Frank or Chris Singleton.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:27 AM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Then he tried to overcompensate by turning the BS meter up to 100 by saying this year's team has the best clubhouse chemistry that he's ever seen, in his 28 years with the club, just a notch below 2005 and 1983. Really?
I could be wrong, but doesn't it seem like he says that every year (with the exception of 2011)?

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives- Jackie Robinson

www.twitter.com/Spawn_03
Old 02-03-2013, 10:16 AM
WSI High Priest

Lots of us were sure Stone was gone after 2012, contract or no contract, but here he is. I, for one, listened to Wimpy as a butt-kissing sub last year and don't want to hear it again. Both he and Stone are not as good as their reputations on this site. Hawk's old and sour.

Time for a change. Rowand or ? for a little continuity and a new PBP guy.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:07 AM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinigirl View Post
I am not quite sure how anyone can be confident they fixed on-air chemistry because if all that was needed was a meeting, I would assume that would have been done before they had a "year and a half" of tension in the booth.
I'm not saying I believe things will be better, but I can understand his rationale. If there is something bugging you about the person you work with, if it isn't cleared up it festers, and the relationship gets worse because the animosity contiues to grow. Seems as if one or both men had something eating at them about the other, and they finally dealt with it. I'm glad Reisndorf and co. realized there was a problem.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:13 AM
WSI Church Elder

Hawk's been a whiny, incoherent buffoon since the mid-90s. Kick him out and keep Stone. Bring in someone professional with a new perspective to match him up with and then the Sox will no longer have the laughingstock of all broadcast teams.

Ken Harrelson is an embarrassment to the franchise.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:21 AM
Banned

If I could get rid of one of the broadcasters, it would be Hawk. It's like you have to be a long-time loyal follower to get his act. For example, "aww, that's a Matt Abbatacola": Who? What does it mean? If most fans have no idea, then does it really belong on a professional broadcast? Why not call a squibber down the 1st base line a "Dan Rostenkowski"? Or a botched double-play a "Sgt. Pepper"?

Stone's really good at what he does as a PBP. And oddly enough, I find the weird chemistry between Ed Farmer and DJ refreshing and that DJ brings out the best in Farm-i-o. I like listening to them together.

/Just my opinion.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:32 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachin View Post
If I could get rid of one of the broadcasters, it would be Hawk. It's like you have to be a long-time loyal follower to get his act. For example, "aww, that's a Matt Abbatacola": Who? What does it mean? If most fans have no idea, then does it really belong on a professional broadcast? Why not call a squibber down the 1st base line a "Dan Rostenkowski"? Or a botched double-play a "Sgt. Pepper"?

Stone's really good at what he does as a PBP. And oddly enough, I find the weird chemistry between Ed Farmer and DJ refreshing and that DJ brings out the best in Farm-i-o. I like listening to them together.

/Just my opinion.
A) You are correct. Hawk has become the definition of "unprofessional" and for that reason alone he needs to go.

B) I tend to agree with you on DJ. I find him enjoyable in the radio booth. He's got a quirky sense of humor and he is surprisingly more insightful about the game than he ever seemed when he was teamed with Hawk. Maybe its just that he seems good in contrast to Farmer. Who knows. But I've come around on DJ. I'm a convert. Not a fan of Farmer though.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:42 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnkleSox View Post
Hawk's been a whiny, incoherent buffoon since the mid-90s. Kick him out and keep Stone. Bring in someone professional with a new perspective to match him up with and then the Sox will no longer have the laughingstock of all broadcast teams.

Ken Harrelson is an embarrassment to the franchise.
agreed. I will be doing a happy dance the day he is gone.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:50 AM
WSI Church Elder

Rowand surprised the hell out of me with how well he did as a fill-in last year. He was the most informative baseball announcer the Sox had all year, by a mile. I would not be upset to see him get a shot full time.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:10 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinigirl View Post

I think it might be time for Hawk to hang it up. Somehow, as his age increases his maturity level decreases. He spends far too much time acting like a petulant child.
I agree with this post 100%. It's time for the Hawkeroo to head off into the sunset.

If given the choice between the two, IMO I would want Stone to stay over Hawk.