White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2013, 12:09 AM
WSI Regular

Default Kauffman Stadium

My daughter and I are making the trip to KC to see the Sox play this June. I am looking for some advice...

Best place to stay (we are flying)?

Is it easy to drive from the airport to the park?

Are there good things for kids at the park?

Any advice on these or other topics is much appreciated.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:27 AM
WSI Regular

Also... best place to sit with a young child?
Old 04-22-2013, 04:34 AM
WSI Church Elder

Part of the renovation of Kauffman included a kids area in the outfield, including a carousel and some baseball related games. Not sure where the best place for kids to sit are, but be aware that its a very sunny stadium. Bring quarts of the SPF. It is also probably the cleanest ballpark I've ever been to. I don't know what the concourse floors are made with, but they absolutely shine.

Kauffman isn't very close to the airport, but then again Kansas City isn't all that close to the airport. You're going to have to rent a car, so options of where to stay are pretty open. I know there are a few hotels near the Stadium complex, but you're in the middle of nowhere. We stayed in an area of he city called Country Club Plaza, which has plenty of shopping, restaurants, bars, and on street entertainment. It's still a bit of a hike to the park, but its a nice area.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:12 AM
WSI Personality

Default Kc

KC was one of our best White Sox trips. Going to the Negro League Museum/Hall Of Fame is a must for any baseball fan. Art Bryants Barbeque Restaurant is a few blocks from the Museum. If you go there you won't regret it. President Trumans Presidential Library is in Independence, right next door to Kansas City. A couple of blocks from the Museum is Trumans house which is open to the public. Walking through Trumans home is something I will never forget. I'm told there is a NCAA Basketball Museum also in KC. I've heard good things about it. They also have opened a World War 1 museum recently, which is the only one of its kind in America. Kaufmann stadium was also a nice park. Its one of the few stadiums that I would go back to. All in all, Kc is definitely a good place to go to.

Last edited by Golden Sox; 04-22-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:24 AM
WSI Church Elder

A friend from work is a KC native, so I've gotten to go to Kauffman recently.

As one of the other posters mentioned, there is a kid's area in the outfield that looks pretty cool. If you get a chance to tour Kauffman, by all means do it. Gorgeous, clean ballpark and the fountains in the outfield are amazing.

The Plaza area in KC is very nice for shopping and dining. It reminded me of Oak Brook or Orland Park.

As for barbecue, my friend got me hooked on Jack Stack. They have an entree with your choice of two meats covered with BBQ sauce. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. Excellent.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:19 PM
WSI High Priest

I did Kansas City last year, saw the Sox win in 13 innings. Here are my notes:

1. There are two nice areas in Central KC. There's a "downtown", part of which is called the Power and Light District, and there's an area called the "Country Club Plaza", which as far as I can tell is just a second downtown. They are not right next to each other, but one is walkable from the other: it's roughly the distance between River North and the South Loop in Chicago, maybe a bit closer.

Jack Stack, one of the legendary BBQ places, is inbetween the two, closer to Country Club Plaza. North of downtown, there's this area by the river that has a steamboat museum, where they raised a sunken steamboat and put all the stuff inside on display. I thought it was super cool.

2. There is another area called 18th and Vine, which is where all of the jazz was in the 1920's. It's pretty far from downtown - I did walk there from downtown, but it was a 30-45 minute walk through some rough-looking areas. This is where the Negro League Museum was, which was amazing, and it's where Arthur Bryant's, the other legendary BBQ place, is. If you only visit two things in Kansas City, visit the Negro League Museum and Arthur Bryant's.

3. Kauffman Stadium is really nice, but it's in the middle of nowhere outside of town. You will need to either rent a car, or cab it: I think the cab fare is like $20. Royals fans are nastier than you'd expect.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides