White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 12:32 AM
WSI Church Elder

Default Looking On The Bright Side

Boy, was that ever a ridiculous way to lose a ballgame tonight! In light of this latest fiasco, I thought that it would be good to point out the positives that may come out of 2013, even if this team doesn't ever get it going this year.

1. Conor Gillaspie.

The Sox acquired him for very little and Gillaspie shows a ton of promise. He is good left-handed hitter, fields well and is only 25. Gillaspie could be a White Sox mainstay at third base for years to come.

2. The Bullpen.

The Sox young bullpen is a little taxes right now, as the Sox are not scoring any runs and are losing all these close games. But Reed, Jones, Veal, Crain, Lindstrom and Santiago form the core of an excellent pen now and in the foreseeable future.

3. Keystone Combination.

Alexei Ramirez and Gordon Beckham were hitting at the start of the year and are an excellent pair of fielders at SS and 2B. They give the Sox something to build around.

4. Starting Pitching.

The starting pitching has been pretty good this year. Once John Danks builds up his arm strength and can return to pitching, the Sox will have a legitimate "Big Three" in Danks, Chris Sale and Jake Peavy. That is also something to build around. And the Sox have other starters to build around: Jose Quinatana, possibly Hector Santiago and a sleeper might be Erik Johnson at AA. The Sox starting should be a strength in the next few years.

5. Some Help Is Down The Road (Hopefully).

The Sox 2012 draft had some promise. Courtney Hawkins was a real strong draft choice and some other picks from that draft may make some noise. Let's hope that the 2013 draft brings some decent prospects.

As for the rest of 2013 offense, this is where is starts to get tricky.

I don't think Tyler Flowers is anything more than a back-up catcher. But the Sox felt they needed to play him to find out what he can do. I don't see him ever hitting much, so they will need to address this in the offseason. Fortunately, there are some free agent options oout there: Brian McCann and Jarrold Saltalamachia, most prominently.

The Sox have two outfielders with offensive skills: Dayan Viciedo and Alex Rios. I would be OK with the Sox keeping both, including Rios despite his salary, and building around them. And Viciedo will be eventually become a DH.

You have to wonder if Alejandro de Aza is really anything more than a fourth outfielder on a good club. Maybe not. Unless Keenyn Walker lights it up in the minors this year (and he has not done so, yet), the Sox may need to look for a center fielder soon.

The Sox are pretty much stuck with Adam Dunn right now. But look on the bright side. He is a strong hot streak away from at least being tempting to some other club via trade. Hope he does get hot and bring the Sox some much needed prospects.

I really can't see the Sox bringing back Paul Konerko right now. As mid-season nears, the Sox should move him to a contender (preferably in the National League) and get back a legitimate offensive prospect or two. I would hate to see him go but unless the Sox get things untracked by June or so, I think that is where this is heading. And if the Sox are mirred in the second division, it would be fitting to give a great ballplayer and the face of this franchise the past 15 years a chance to go to a World Series. One possibility off the top of my head: the Washington Nationals. And they have some legitimate prospects.

I almost forgot Jeff Keppinger. He is better than he has played but wouldn't really have a spot on the Sox if they rebuild. He is starting to hit the ball harder. I am confident that he will get it going and he would help a contender, too. Once again, maybe the Sox can get some value in a trade.

Last edited by cards press box; 04-23-2013 at 12:38 AM.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:14 AM
WSI Church Elder

Nice analysis but... sigh... don't we pretty much have the same conversation every year?

"I'm sorry that you don't like our 3-4-5 hitters. Or our closer.

"I'm sorry that you don't like our third baseman and our shortstop. Or our left fielder and our right fielder.

"I'm sorry people feel this way about our club. But I also want you to know something about that:

"We don't care."

-Kenny Williams before start of 2005 season
Old 04-23-2013, 07:00 AM
WSI Church Elder

This is no place to look for positives, but I admire the concept. Good for you. The season is less than 20 games old.

I'd spend more time here if it wasn't so vilifying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
Boy, was that ever a ridiculous way to lose a ballgame tonight! In light of this latest fiasco, I thought that it would be good to point out the positives that may come out of 2013, even if this team doesn't ever get it going this year.

1. Conor Gillaspie.

The Sox acquired him for very little and Gillaspie shows a ton of promise. He is good left-handed hitter, fields well and is only 25. Gillaspie could be a White Sox mainstay at third base for years to come.

2. The Bullpen.

The Sox young bullpen is a little taxes right now, as the Sox are not scoring any runs and are losing all these close games. But Reed, Jones, Veal, Crain, Lindstrom and Santiago form the core of an excellent pen now and in the foreseeable future.

3. Keystone Combination.

Alexei Ramirez and Gordon Beckham were hitting at the start of the year and are an excellent pair of fielders at SS and 2B. They give the Sox something to build around.

4. Starting Pitching.

The starting pitching has been pretty good this year. Once John Danks builds up his arm strength and can return to pitching, the Sox will have a legitimate "Big Three" in Danks, Chris Sale and Jake Peavy. That is also something to build around. And the Sox have other starters to build around: Jose Quinatana, possibly Hector Santiago and a sleeper might be Erik Johnson at AA. The Sox starting should be a strength in the next few years.

The Sox 2012 draft had some promise. Courtney Hawkins was a real strong draft choice and some other picks from that draft may make some noise. Let's hope that the 2013 draft brings some decent prospects.

I don't think Tyler Flowers is anything more than a back-up catcher. But the Sox felt they needed to play him to find out what he can do. I don't see him ever hitting much, so they will need to address this in the offseason. Fortunately, there are some free agent options oout there: Brian McCann and Jarrold Saltalamachia, most prominently.

The Sox have two outfielders with offensive skills: Dayan Viciedo and Alex Rios. I would be OK with the Sox keeping both, including Rios despite his salary, and building around them. And Viciedo will be eventually become a DH.

You have to wonder if Alejandro de Aza is really anything more than a fourth outfielder on a good club. Maybe not. Unless Keenyn Walker lights it up in the minors this year (and he has not done so, yet), the Sox may need to look for a center fielder soon.

The Sox are pretty much stuck with Adam Dunn right now. But look on the bright side. He is a strong hot streak away from at least being tempting to some other club via trade. Hope he does get hot and bring the Sox some much needed prospects.

I really can't see the Sox bringing back Paul Konerko right now. As mid-season nears, the Sox should move him to a contender (preferably in the National League) and get back a legitimate offensive prospect or two. I would hate to see him go but unless the Sox get things untracked by June or so, I think that is where this is heading. And if the Sox are mirred in the second division, it would be fitting to give a great ballplayer and the face of this franchise the past 15 years a chance to go to a World Series. One possibility off the top of my head: the Washington Nationals. And they have some legitimate prospects.

I almost forgot Jeff Keppinger. He is better than he has played but wouldn't really have a spot on the Sox if they rebuild. He is starting to hit the ball harder. I am confident that he will get it going and he would help a contender, too. Once again, maybe the Sox can get some value in a trade.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:23 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufram View Post
This is no place to look for positives, but I admire the concept. Good for you. The season is less than 20 games old.

I'd spend more time here if it wasn't so vilifying.
Well said.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 04-23-2013, 07:37 AM
WSI Prelate

Good thread. Agreed on all counts. Keep hope alive.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:20 AM
WSI Personality

Very good analysis except I think you ignore one major problem-----offense. An infield of Beckham, Alexei and Gillaspi is good defensively but weak offensively. Take away Paulie for probably a couple of AA prospects and you have a huge hole at first.
This team needs several more guys who can hit like Rios has the past 2 seasons. Management is going to have to open up their wallet to free agency. Maybe Viciedo moves to DH if Dunn can be dumped but that would leave 1st, LF and catcher where you need to add starters w better than average offensive skills. The other options are bring players up from the minors( good luck with that) or trade away some pitching ( which I agree looks solid) to get some instant offense.
I am ignoring the option of trading Paulie, dumping Dunn and being a bad team for a few years with the hope of building a better farm system.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:24 AM
WSI High Priest

Location: In the water barrel off the now-finished Borman Expressway

You had me until you mentioned trading Konerko. Get rid of Paulie and attendance might top 8k on most nights, and that's only if the opposing team's fans show up.

Obligatory 2014 attendance record: 1-1

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

JACK....IS....BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-23-2013, 06:30 PM
WSI Regular

6. Churros.

The White Sox continue to offer these delicious, deep fried, cinnamon pastries 81 times a year in plain, vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, and mini varieties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post

1. Conor Gillaspie.

2. The Bullpen.

3. Keystone Combination.

4. Starting Pitching.