White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2013, 01:14 AM
WSI Church Elder

Default Renting Chris Sale???

I'm sure there's some reason that nobody's ever done this (that I know of), but what would prevent the White Sox from "renting" Chris Sale to another team for one or two season?

Think about it like renting an apartment you bought for cheap in a recently-turned-upscale neighborhood...Sale is owed 3.5m next year and 6.0m the year after. He's worth much more than that. The White Sox are not going to contend in 2014 under any circumstances, and are probably not going to contend in 2015. Why can't the White Sox rent Chris Sale to another team for that period for market value (let's say, just for argument's sake, 9.0m each year), and then get him back for 2016? The White Sox make a profit of 8.5m on a great contract over a two-year period, Sale gets to pitch for a contender, and then the White Sox get him back when they're a contender again.

Like I said, I'm sure there's a reason this can't be done. But if it could, it seems like a great idea!
Old 08-01-2013, 01:26 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRDSR View Post
Like I said, I'm sure there's a reason this can't be done. But if it could, it seems like a great idea!
Soccer teams do this all the time. I'm sure the MLB CBA prohibits it.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:03 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Soccer teams do this all the time. I'm sure the MLB CBA prohibits it.
Even more complicated than loan deals for young players to get playing time are the co-ownership deals that seem to mostly happen in Italy. Those can get messy and are often very shady deals.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:33 AM
WSI Regular

Then would he change his name to Chris Rental? Get it?
Old 08-02-2013, 09:43 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldo_the_wolf View Post
Then would he change his name to Chris Rental? Get it?
How about regifting. Hahn could send Dunn back to Washington as a stimulus package or Alexei back to Fidel as a get-well present.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:04 AM
WSI Church Elder

This is the worst idea I have ever seen.

First, the issue of players getting injured while they are under another teams watch. Second, could you imagine if this was allowed at any time? Teams with large payrolls like the Dodgers and Yankees could just rent several "mercenaries" every year for the 2nd half of a season without any long term commitment and out bid any other teams for these services.

H2H1 Champion 2011, 2012
Dynasty Runner up 2012
Old 08-02-2013, 10:08 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
Even more complicated than loan deals for young players to get playing time are the co-ownership deals that seem to mostly happen in Italy. Those can get messy and are often very shady deals.
Anything that has to do with Italian club football is probably shady as ****
Old 08-02-2013, 10:38 AM
WSI Church Elder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlA9bNk3b5Q
Old 08-02-2013, 12:30 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Anything that has to do with Italian club football is probably shady as ****
Good point.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:29 PM
WSI Church Elder

Let's ask Curt Flood for his opinion on whether a team owns the player and can do this.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:29 AM
WSI Church Elder

For one, the player's union would revolt if the Sox were to "rent" Chris Sale at more than his contract price and the team pockets the profit instead of giving it to Sale. There's also the fact of determining market price, how to go about it, what happens if he suffers a career-ending injury during the rental period, and myriad other complications. Then we get to the whole "meaning of a contract" thing. Renting players out basically defeats the purpose of signing long-term deals: the security of being with one team for an extended period of time.

It's just way too complicated to pull off.

Last Game: N/A
Next Game: TBD
Nacho Helmet Count: 0

- 2011 WSI H2H2 Keeper League Runner-up (Relatively Decent)

Frank Thomas, Hall of Famer. I love the sound of that.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:38 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtGrnwdSoxFan View Post
For one, the player's union would revolt if the Sox were to "rent" Chris Sale at more than his contract price and the team pockets the profit instead of giving it to Sale. There's also the fact of determining market price, how to go about it, what happens if he suffers a career-ending injury during the rental period, and myriad other complications. Then we get to the whole "meaning of a contract" thing. Renting players out basically defeats the purpose of signing long-term deals: the security of being with one team for an extended period of time.

It's just way too complicated to pull off.
Agree.
Plus, other teams would use Sale like a rental...overuse him. Then he gets injured and they return a broken product...oops.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:49 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zisk77 View Post
Agree.
Plus, other teams would use Sale like a rental...overuse him.
You mean they might let him throw 120+ pitches in meaningless games on multiple occasions in a lost season? The Sox would never allow that!
Old 08-01-2013, 11:55 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I'm sure there's some reason that nobody's ever done this (that I know of), but what would prevent the White Sox from "renting" Chris Sale to another team for one or two season?

Think about it like renting an apartment you bought for cheap in a recently-turned-upscale neighborhood...Sale is owed 3.5m next year and 6.0m the year after. He's worth much more than that. The White Sox are not going to contend in 2014 under any circumstances, and are probably not going to contend in 2015. Why can't the White Sox rent Chris Sale to another team for that period for market value (let's say, just for argument's sake, 9.0m each year), and then get him back for 2016? The White Sox make a profit of 8.5m on a great contract over a two-year period, Sale gets to pitch for a contender, and then the White Sox get him back when they're a contender again.

Two guesses here.

1) The CBA most likely prohibits this

2) He signed a contract with the White Sox, not with all 30 MLB teams. The White Sox don't "own" Chris Sale therefore they can't rent him out to other teams.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:44 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

Sounds like someone's been reading about the Negro Leagues again?