White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2013, 05:09 PM
WSI High Priest

Default Who are the keepers

I'm very depressed with the future of the team. There is not a lot right now to build around. Right now I keep:

A. Garcia
Beckham
Viciedo (too early to give up on him)
L. Garcia (utility infielder)
That's it for position players, so sad.

Pitchers:
Sale
Santiago
Quintana
Danks (he gets a pass this year because of his surgery)
Jones
Reed

Hahn has got his work cut out for him this coming winter.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:17 PM
WSI Personality

If Addison Reed is the best the Sox can do at closer, then I see no reason for any sort of optimism whatsoever that the Sox can be competitive in the near future...

I remember looking it up and I'm pretty sure he's making less than $1M/yr... the only possible reason they keep throwing his sorry butt out there...
Old 09-07-2013, 05:24 PM
WSI Church Elder

I might replace Satiago with Rienzo, but unfortunately I think you have it right, with a do or die year for Danks, Beckham and Reed. My only hope is that wise choices made with plenty of available cash might make for a better 2014.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:33 PM
WSI Personality

I strongly believe a front office clear out should accompany the roster overhaul...the notion that those that have engineered this historically bad season are in charge of righting a completely sunken ship is bordering on lunacy...
Old 09-11-2013, 07:34 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain54 View Post
I strongly believe a front office clear out should accompany the roster overhaul...the notion that those that have engineered this historically bad season are in charge of righting a completely sunken ship is bordering on lunacy...

I agree with this completely, but I don't expect to see any real front office changes as long as JR is in charge. Too bad because there are so many things wrong with this organization.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:55 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan H View Post
I agree with this completely, but I don't expect to see any real front office changes as long as JR is in charge. Too bad because there are so many things wrong with this organization.
People were saying the same thing about the San Francisco Giants in the late '00's, too, the team was great in 2002 and 2003 but had slowly fallen apart, capped off by back-to-back 90-loss seasons in 2007 and 2008 and the roster was full of overpriced, mediocre veterans like Barry Zito, Aaron Rowand, etc.

And then the same front office turned it around and won two World Series in 3 seasons. So, lighten up, Francis. It's baseball.

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 09-11-2013, 10:08 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan H View Post
I don't know about that. IMO, Hahn's hiring is a bit of a break as to how the Sox organization does business, especially if Kenny is staying hands off and letting Rick do his job.

Despite this season, I still want to give Hahn another year or two to see how he can turn the org around, especially considering he's going to be less and less tied down to Kenny's boat anchor contracts.

I'm also hoping that more payroll flexibility means that the Sox use the new draft rules much more to their benefit than in years past and invest more on player development than they did when carrying $110M+ payrolls at the big league level.

If the whole thing is still a failure 2 years down the road, then yes, clean out everyone.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:34 PM
WSI Personality

Sale, Quintana and Garcia are keepers. Everyone else should be available if we can get a better offer. I think Beckham may be on his batting average dive and will end up in the .260 range so his resurgence may be over. Santiago may just have hit the wall but he has been awful his last 2 starts. Danks on a good team is a 4th heading toward 5th starter.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:03 PM
WSI Church Elder

Hahn will have to trade some pitchers for some position players because there are too many holes to fill just by trying to get some players through free agency.

Keepers:
Sale
Quintana
Jones
A. Garcia

We're stuck with Danks because of his salary. He's hardly in the keepers category.

We can trade everyone else, including Beckham, Viciedo, and De Aza. They may be able to bring something in return, but that's probably wishful thinking.

I'd keep Phegley only because there are too many other holes to fill (3B, 2B, LF, CF, 1B) and at least at this point he seems to have the abilty to drive in some runs, even if his batting average is low (he has 2 less RBIs than Beckham with half as many at bats). Let's see what he can do over a full season.

I think the Sox will look to move Santiago, Rienzo, Reed, and others. They will be rebuilding, so they can give starting opportunties to pitchers like Johnson and Leesman while they're buying time.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:07 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
Sale, Quintana and Garcia are keepers.
Yes. And, really, every trade should be considered.

On this team, getting rid of players will be about as important as acquiring them. The dumb players have to be jettisoned for the best deal the Sox can make for them. De Aza and Ramirez have to go.

I'd love to see Keppinger go. He's the most boring player I can remember playing for the Sox. He's not even fun bad.

The catchers need to go. We need to find a pair of who can catch the ball.

There are currently three DHs on the roster in Dunn, Konerko and Viciedo, if you give the latter two the benefit of producing enough to be called DHs. Dunn will be back. Nobody walks away from that kind of money. Unfortunately, it sounds like Konerko is coming back for a final year. Hopefully Viciedo disappears, one of the strongest but dumbest hitters I've seen.

Gillaspie is no answer to anything.

Maybe you keep Beckham, mostly only because there are so many other issues to deal with.

I'm crossing my fingers that Ventura decides to bail.

I believe Hahn is smart. Time will tell if he has the balls to make the moves that he knows need to be made. It'll be a bad sign if Ventura and Konerko return. I think everyone who's watched the team this season knows that shouldn't happen.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:36 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
I'm crossing my fingers that Ventura decides to bail.
How could it be his decision? We're sitting on our worst record in nearly 40 years, we've had a 10 game losing streak, and a 9 game losing streak and counting.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:45 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
If Addison Reed is the best the Sox can do at closer, then I see no reason for any sort of optimism whatsoever that the Sox can be competitive in the near future...

I remember looking it up and I'm pretty sure he's making less than $1M/yr... the only possible reason they keep throwing his sorry butt out there...
Lol. I don't even know where to start with this post.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:16 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
Lol. I don't even know where to start with this post.
Let me help you out a little... Addison Reed.. 2013 Salary - $520K...currently ranks 25th in ERA out of 30 MLB closers

Last edited by captain54; 09-07-2013 at 10:47 PM. Reason: wrong term
Old 09-07-2013, 10:38 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Let me help you out a little... Addison Reed.. 2013 Salary - $520K...currently ranks 25th in ERA out of 30 MLB relievers..
There's only 30 relievers in baseball?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 09-07-2013, 10:46 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
There's only 30 relievers in baseball?
"closers".. not relievers, my bad..