White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2013, 02:26 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default Found: WGN partial broadcast of Reds 1965 no-hitter

Innings 8-10 of Jim Maloney's no-hitter against the Cubs on August 19, 1965, including a Hamms commercial featuring Jack Brickhouse.

H/T to Deadspin.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:53 PM
WSI Church Elder

Nothing like your standard, run-of-the-mill, 186 pitch outing.

No wonder this guy flamed out at age 29; was quite a pitcher during his run though.

The camera angle from the 3b side of the upper deck was really odd too.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:30 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalehosePlanet View Post
Nothing like your standard, run-of-the-mill, 186 pitch outing.

No wonder this guy flamed out at age 29; was quite a pitcher during his run though.

The camera angle from the 3b side of the upper deck was really odd too.
I love those big wind ups back in those eras. Seemingly everyone had them
Old 11-16-2013, 03:43 PM
WSI Personality

Imagine that, a televised ballgame without shots of fans texting their friends or wearing face paint like some lost tribe from the Amazon! How nice to see the old Baby Ruth candy bar sign on the Sheffield Avenue roof top in the days before party decks and rooftop bleachers; I remember that sign well. The Hamms commercial is a real blast from the past: Pettit and Brickhouse were the perfect pitchman for the period. Hamm s beer fans might be interested in knowing that the brewery still stands on St Paul's east side and has recently become home to Flat Earth brewing,a local micro brew.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:40 PM
WSI High Priest

I watched a little bit of that game and then had to go to my job at Kroger.
There were 11,000 at Wrigley that day which was huge for a weekday Cub game in those days (640,000 for the season) but what I remember most about the Cubs and 1965 was Leo the Lip being hired after the season for the 1966 season. First statement he said was that the Cubs were not an 8th place ball club, he was right they finished 10th in 1966 losing 103 games.
They did turn it around in 67 and had a nice run of winning seasons and a lot of us remember the meltdown in 1969. As Brick used to say "Oh brother".

Thanks for posting, love the Hamms beer commercial. It was weird to see the Reds uniforms with the names under the numbers. I was sort of amazed that Brick did not remember the year of Sad Sam Jones' no hitter in 1955, it was the first no hitter that I remember. As much as I despised the Cubs as I still do, I saw so many more of their games back then on TV and in person because of all the day games, the Sox were only on for home day games also but usually only on Saturdays and Sundays. I really miss those days.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 11-16-2013 at 05:48 PM.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

Hooked this up to the big screen and watched it this afternoon. Some observations:

I wonder if the focus of the outfield camera was that bad when it was live or just the quality of the tape. The other cameras were almost crisp. I have VCR tapes from the 90's that are about half the quality of this relic. Great find.

The shot of that house across Waveland with the WGN sign on the roof should give people an idea of how sketchy that neighborhood was back then.

The Brickhouse catchphrases "Hoo boy, Hoo brother" and "any old kind of run'll do it." were as common in the 60's as us saying "He gone" now.

One sixty second ad. That was it. Return to the action and the pitcher is ready to throw. No wonder a two hour game wasn't uncommon.

It's hard to believe that the bleachers, scoreboard and ivy were only 27 years old when this game was played. Never realized the ivy was trimmed back below the top of the wall before the baskets were installed. Loved how they used the scoreboard to show the score at the end of the inning instead of any graphic.

Anybody know the backstory of where this tape was found?