White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2009, 06:22 AM
WSI Church Elder

Default Windy City Thunderbolts 2009 season

I don't know if this post belongs in this forum, but I was really looking into going to some WC games this season. It starts on May 21st. I know nothing about this team besides what I just read on their website . I live here in Oak Lawn and the park is really close by. Tickets are under $10 and the beer is only $1 on Thursday and Friday.

Anyone ever gone to one of their games? It looks to be really fan friendly and inexpensive.

2014: 1-1
Old 04-27-2009, 06:44 AM
WSI Church Elder

Very fan friendly and very inexpesive. Big thumbs up. We go a few times a year. There is a poster here who is a big fan and goes to many games, hopefully he or she will chime in.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:16 AM
MMXXIII

I've been one Thunderbolt game and it was a good time, cheap beer, cheap food, cheap tickets. As long as you don't mind that the players are absolutely terrible, you'll be fine.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:24 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I've been one Thunderbolt game and it was a good time, cheap beer, cheap food, cheap tickets. As long as you don't mind that the players are absolutely terrible, you'll be fine.
Terrible? They're the defending back-to-back Frontier League Champs! I usually get out to a game every year. It's cheap, and a great time, especially for kids. My little brother got a foul ball last year.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:40 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxFan81 View Post
Terrible? They're the defending back-to-back Frontier League Champs! I usually get out to a game every year. It's cheap, and a great time, especially for kids. My little brother got a foul ball last year.
They're just the tallest midgets, I'm not saying the games aren't fun, but it's basically glorified Little League, there's a reason these guys are making $200/month in the Frontier League.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:56 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
They're just the tallest midgets, I'm not saying the games aren't fun, but it's basically glorified Little League, there's a reason these guys are making $200/month in the Frontier League.
LOL. Is that becoming the new WSI-ism? Yeah, it may not be the best baseball, but it's like being a Cubs fan for a small fraction of the price.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:58 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxFan81 View Post
LOL. Is that becoming the new WSI-ism? Yeah, it may not be the best baseball, but it's like being a Cubs fan for a small fraction of the price.

That's a great way to put it.

And we've been calling people the tallest midget for years now.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:30 AM
WSI Church Elder

I go to the games, it's been a lot of fun the last two seasons. They won the 2007 Frontier League Championship and their manager from that year got hired by the Florida Marlins in the minor-league system, which was very cool; then last year they won the FLC again.

They play hard, they are good kids and occasionally one of them gets signed by a MLB club to a minor-league contract. The stadium is okay, the prices are very affordable, and it's very family-centered, lots of stuff for kids.

IMO everybody should support their local minor-league or independent-league baseball team.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:34 AM
WSI High Priest

We go to a few games every year. They're a real good time and you'll get a great view of the game from pretty much anywhere.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:30 AM
WSI Regular

Former White Sox minor league manager Tommy Thompson is the manager. His presence alone is enough to check it out.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:36 AM
WSI Church Elder

They also let you tailgate which is pretty cool IMO
Old 04-27-2009, 01:42 PM
WSI Personality

I can't speak directly of the Windy City Thunderbolts, but I used to work for, and attend games of another team in their division, the Gateway Grizzlies. Frontier League games are fun. They have a lot of stuff going on, so the game isn't always the primary focus. Wacky promotions, inbetween inning contests, involved mascots, and play areas for kids are the norm. Sometimes the actual games are good and sometimes they're a joke. It's kind of like spring training in that it is more relaxed and you sit very close to the field. Try it out...

....and Go Grizzlies!
Old 04-27-2009, 03:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by southside rocks View Post
I go to the games, it's been a lot of fun the last two seasons. They won the 2007 Frontier League Championship and their manager from that year got hired by the Florida Marlins in the minor-league system, which was very cool; then last year they won the FLC again.

They play hard, they are good kids and occasionally one of them gets signed by a MLB club to a minor-league contract. The stadium is okay, the prices are very affordable, and it's very family-centered, lots of stuff for kids.

IMO everybody should support their local minor-league or independent-league baseball team.
I love their stadium. It has a certain charm that I can't put into words but I think their stadium is among the best in minor league baseball.