White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2010, 02:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Right, but they only play them, what 10 times per year in Kane County? I'm sure if the Sox had an affiliate in the Midwest League, they'd be advertising that heavily to Sox fans, too.

Dude, it's A-ball. And low A-ball. Most of the guys in that league are a year or so out of high school. Have you ever watched an A-ball game? TERRIBLE.
i've been to a flyers game. so kinda
Old 09-23-2010, 02:35 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Also, having a minor league teams far from Chicago helps expand the Sox fanbase geographically.
Good point, however I think most MLB teams (outside maybe the Iowa Cubs situation) screw this up. I live in New Orleans- a fairly large city. The New Orleans Zephyrs are the only baseball down here, and they're pretty popular. However, they keep changing affiliations. They were with the Mets for awhile, now the Rays or something. I don't even know.

MLB teams ought to:

1. Make sure they hold on to their minor league teams forever.

2. Always name the team after their own name. If they were always the New Orleans Mets, with the actual Mets logo, and they pushed the Mets brand down here... do you realize how many New York Mets fans there would be down here? Missed opportunity.

There's no MLB team in Charlotte. Why aren't the White Sox the predominent brand down there? I've been to Charlotte, and there's no "White Sox" brand at all.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:38 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by downstairs View Post
There's no MLB team in Charlotte. Why aren't the White Sox the predominent brand down there? I've been to Charlotte, and there's no "White Sox" brand at all.
Probably because nobody in Charlotte can watch Sox games unless they have Extra Innings.

0-4

LAST GAME: May 31 - Padres 4, Sox 2
NEXT GAME: Maybe never? Apparently I am bad luck
Old 09-23-2010, 03:14 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:

2. Always name the team after their own name. If they were always the New Orleans Mets, with the actual Mets logo, and they pushed the Mets brand down here... do you realize how many New York Mets fans there would be down here? Missed opportunity.
That's the way it used to be. Instead, now you've got minor league teams crafting their own logos and identities, and selling more hats. Since the teams are privately owned, generally (not by the parent club), it's an additional revenue source.

And, for the record, A-ball is what I watch mostly in-person anymore. It's not major-league quality by any stretch, but I wouldn't call it "terrible".
Old 09-24-2010, 02:20 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Chicagoan View Post
That's the way it used to be. Instead, now you've got minor league teams crafting their own logos and identities, and selling more hats. Since the teams are privately owned, generally (not by the parent club), it's an additional revenue source.

And, for the record, A-ball is what I watch mostly in-person anymore. It's not major-league quality by any stretch, but I wouldn't call it "terrible".
Yeah, makes sense I guess. I was just referring to the excellent job the Cubs have done in Iowa. Also, I did mention having the minor league affiliates within TV distance of the MLB team- I just used the Knights as an example because they happen to be the Sox affiliate.

Also, nowadays there's plenty of options for fans living far outside the MLB team's area. Yes, I happen to have Extra Innings... but if I didn't, most sports bars down here would tune a tv to the White Sox if I asked.

(Of course, I'm not going to embarass myself and ask nowadays!)
Old 09-25-2010, 05:46 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Yeah, makes sense I guess. I was just referring to the excellent job the Cubs have done in Iowa. Also, I did mention having the minor league affiliates within TV distance of the MLB team- I just used the Knights as an example because they happen to be the Sox affiliate.

Also, nowadays there's plenty of options for fans living far outside the MLB team's area. Yes, I happen to have Extra Innings... but if I didn't, most sports bars down here would tune a tv to the White Sox if I asked.

(Of course, I'm not going to embarass myself and ask nowadays!)
Well the Cubs/Iowa phenomenon is something special, mostly, IMO because of the regional connection; the two major Midwestern baseball teams are the Cubs and Cardinals, and as much as we rip on the Cubs for being abject losers, the alternative is a team whose image is being the #1 team of bumbling, Southern redneck hillbilly morons, so I can't quite blame anyone for not jumping on the Cardinal bandwagon. Plus... Chicago > x a million St. Louis. That's just easy.

Finally, the Cubs have Wrigley Field in their pocket, maybe the #2 marketing tool in all of baseball right now, tied with Fenway Park, and only behind the Yankees' 27 (or whatever) championship banners.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:43 PM
WSI Church Elder

I didn't bother to read the rest of the post because all I could think was oh no..... Kenny has the Royals in our backyard to scout bad Royals rejects and sign them to contracts before they prove anything.