White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 02-08-2012, 02:20 PM
DirtySox DirtySox is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Albany Park
Posts: 11,154
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMcMahon817 View Post
So the additions of Molina and Castro have done nothing to improve the farm? Not even better than the likes of the Marlins and Astros...

I am not shocked, but I guess a little surprised that those two (now number 2 and 3, respectively in SOX farm) didn't boost the farm even a tad. I guess it just shows how absolutely terrible it was going into this offseason.
He has the Indians at 29. Trading off White, Pomeranz, and graduating Kipnis and Chisenhall lopped off the top of that system.

The Astros system is slowly but surely getting better. Singleton, Cosart, Springer, Villar, and Clemens aren't an awful top portion.

As for the Marlins, going by Sickels, you have Yelich, Ozuna, Fernandez, Realmuto, Dominguez, Rasmussen, James, and Conley as "B" prospects. (By comparison, the White Sox have 2 "B" prospects, though both B+ as ranked by John.)

As for the Sox, the Molina addition was really the only "solid" prospect addition this offseason. Castro's stock is down, and it should be after a bad season last year. Hopefully he figures things out.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-08-2012, 05:53 PM
KMcMahon817 KMcMahon817 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,450
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
As for the Sox, the Molina addition was really the only "solid" prospect addition this offseason. Castro's stock is down, and it should be after a bad season last year. Hopefully he figures things out.
Right, but Castro was a top-100 prospect in all of baseball prior to 2011. Hell, he was even the starting pitcher in the Futures Game. It just goes to show how fickle these ratings are to begin with.
__________________
2013 Attendance Record: TBD

2012 Attendance Record: 6-4
2011 Attendance Record: 3-3
2010 Attendance Record: 4-3
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-08-2012, 06:05 PM
DirtySox DirtySox is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Albany Park
Posts: 11,154
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMcMahon817 View Post
Right, but Castro was a top-100 prospect in all of baseball prior to 2011. Hell, he was even the starting pitcher in the Futures Game. It just goes to show how fickle these ratings are to begin with.
Was is the keyword. He had a down season and scouts didn't like what they saw. Hence his stock has fallen. Happens all the time. He certainly could rebound. He could completely bust too. And yes, prospect lists and rankings should always be taken with a grain of salt. Though it's hard to make an argument that the Sox system is anything but bad at this point.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-11-2012, 09:14 AM
Mingo Mingo is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 80
Default

With the renewed push for Latin and Cuban talent - the Sox can sell opportunity for fast track major league consideration. I think the minors can be fixed to a reputable condition pretty fast.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-11-2012, 01:02 PM
SoxSpeed22 SoxSpeed22 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,575
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo View Post
With the renewed push for Latin and Cuban talent - the Sox can sell opportunity for fast track major league consideration. I think the minors can be fixed to a reputable condition pretty fast.
I think with the new rules, it might be tricky to figure out how international spending is going to go. There might be more emphasis on the draft.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02-13-2012, 02:19 AM
DirtySox DirtySox is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Albany Park
Posts: 11,154
Default

KG's Top 101 Prospects list is up. Reed is number 81.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=16020
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02-21-2012, 12:02 PM
DirtySox DirtySox is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Albany Park
Posts: 11,154
Default

Addison Reed is on BA's Top 100 at number 66. Only White Sox prospect to make it.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...2/2612998.html
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 02-21-2012, 10:33 PM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - South Loop
Posts: 2,808
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxSpeed22 View Post
I think with the new rules, it might be tricky to figure out how international spending is going to go. There might be more emphasis on the draft.
It will probably take awhile for all the teams to get used to the new rules and regulations regarding foreign players. Regardless, the playing field is more level than it has ever been with regards to foreign players and the draft. This is both a blessing and a curse to the front office. On one hand they will have the opportunity to sign players that they would have never had a chance with before. On the other hand, the pool of excuses they have used in the past has shrunk significantly. Like someone else said, if they make a genuine effort, the minor league could be restocked quickly.
__________________
<a href=http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3256 target=_blank>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...achmentid=3256</a>

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 02-21-2012, 10:48 PM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 26,312
Default

Gonzo writes tonight that the Sox will have a bonus pool allotment of $5.9151 million for their picks in the first 10 rounds of the 2012 draft, according to Baseball America.

Don't know how that compares to other teams.

Lip
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 02-21-2012, 10:57 PM
Daver's Avatar
Daver Daver is offline
The Grand Wazoo
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: SW Suburbs
Posts: 26,631
Blog Entries: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
It will probably take awhile for all the teams to get used to the new rules and regulations regarding foreign players. Regardless, the playing field is more level than it has ever been with regards to foreign players and the draft. This is both a blessing and a curse to the front office. On one hand they will have the opportunity to sign players that they would have never had a chance with before. On the other hand, the pool of excuses they have used in the past has shrunk significantly. Like someone else said, if they make a genuine effort, the minor league could be restocked quickly.
If they don't change their philosophy on how players advance through the system none of this will make much of a difference.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 02-21-2012, 11:20 PM
DirtySox DirtySox is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Albany Park
Posts: 11,154
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Gonzo writes tonight that the Sox will have a bonus pool allotment of $5.9151 million for their picks in the first 10 rounds of the 2012 draft, according to Baseball America.

Don't know how that compares to other teams.

Lip
Yep. Posted it in the draft thread. There is a link in the post showing each team's allotment, which obviously varies by where each team picks in the 1st round and how many picks they have.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 02-21-2012, 11:56 PM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - South Loop
Posts: 2,808
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
If they don't change their philosophy on how players advance through the system none of this will make much of a difference.
Daver, you and I will just never see eye-to-eye on this will we?
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 02-22-2012, 12:21 AM
SoxSpeed22 SoxSpeed22 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,575
Default

I'm curious to know how much of that ~$6 million they will actually spend. There is a cap, but is there a floor for draft spending?
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 02-22-2012, 10:21 AM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 26,312
Default

Daver has a valid point as Gonzo wrote in his "state of the Sox" article. These kids don't have the slightest idea what they are getting into when they are rushed up to the big club and it shows.

For some reason the Sox seem to have this 'instant gratification' syndrome regarding their minor league players almost like they are desperate to tell the critics of the way they operate the minors, 'what do you mean? We've got kids who can play. Just look at (insert name...)'

It doesn't work that way. Kids need to learn their trade. I understand it's not like back in the days where Gary Peters spent five or six years in the minors but my God, a kid can go through four different levels in a season...that's nuts.

Lip
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 02-22-2012, 11:55 AM
Daver's Avatar
Daver Daver is offline
The Grand Wazoo
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: SW Suburbs
Posts: 26,631
Blog Entries: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Daver, you and I will just never see eye-to-eye on this will we?
After watching fifteen years worth of top picks fail entirely or graduate to the majors and strive for mediocrity, I will continue to think the White Sox have a very flawed philosophy on player development.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:07 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.