White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2012, 03:38 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
I agree. I saw it for the first time last night. I'm not the target audience for the it because I have no interest in playing baseball on a game console or computer, but I don't think it's a bad commercial at all. If in 2005, the Cubs had won the World Series instead of the White Sox, the team featured in the commercial probably would have been the White Sox, as the baseball team with the longest championship drought. Play this game and anything is possible, even if your team hasn't won in more than/almost a century. I don't see why this commercial should bother White Sox fans, other than the implication that the city of Chicago hasn't had a baseball championship since 1908.

The commercial would probably be seen differently if the White Sox were being featured, though. I don't think it would resonate solidly with the White Sox fan base. When the team isn't winning, White Sox fans as a group remind me of the goth kids in South Park.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
That's not the Tribune.
My mistake, but I found it on the front page of the Trib's website.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:16 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatK View Post
My mistake, but I found it on the front page of the Trib's website.
Fair enough.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:23 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxGal85 View Post

JJ Stankevitz ‏ @JJStankevitz So real, it actually happened: An alternate MLB: The Show commercial. bit.ly/yf4jsC #WhiteSox
Now THAT, is funny!
Old 03-15-2012, 12:18 PM
WSI High Priest

I don't care for the Cubs but it's absolutely a fantastic advertisement.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:34 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockinchisox View Post
I don't care for the Cubs but it's absolutely a fantastic advertisement.
Keep in mind that this is a national TV spot that is designed to sell this video game to all MLB fans. Who does this TV spot appeal to other than fans of the Cubs? Will seeing this syrupy fantasy of blue clad Cub fans dancing in the streets of Chicago strike a chord with fans of the Phillies, Mets, or Royals? I don't believe that it will. I think the spot would have been better with a little humor injected at the end. A Cards fan or Sox fan shaking his head in disgust at his friend crying over the fake championship he won. All fanbases can relate to rivalries and smack talk amongst friends. Subject matter aside, I just think the TV spot was too over the top and doesn't appeal to anyone other than Cubs fans.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 03-15-2012, 02:39 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
Keep in mind that this is a national TV spot that is designed to sell this video game to all MLB fans. Who does this TV spot appeal to other than fans of the Cubs? Will seeing this syrupy fantasy of blue clad Cub fans dancing in the streets of Chicago strike a chord with fans of the Phillies, Mets, or Royals? I don't believe that it will. I think the spot would have been better with a little humor injected at the end. A Cards fan or Sox fan shaking his head in disgust at his friend crying over the fake championship he won. All fanbases can relate to rivalries and smack talk amongst friends. Subject matter aside, I just think the TV spot was too over the top and doesn't appeal to anyone other than Cubs fans.
Apparently they had a shot of a Sox fan, but the Sox rejected it.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:00 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
It appeals to anyone who is a fan of the 20 or so teams that don't have a realistic chance at winning the World Series. It is telling those fans that if you play this game, your team will win. Yes, even the Cubs can win with this game.

All hail The Rick
Old 03-15-2012, 03:24 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
A lot of it is that, only here, on our side of town, are the Cubs viewed as an annoying lot of drunken buffoons hopelessly chasing the horizon, nationally, the Cubs really are the "lovable losers."

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 03-15-2012, 03:36 PM
WSI Church Elder

I think it's a pretty good commercial.

And by the way, this game kicks ass.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:53 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
A lot of it is that, only here, on our side of town, are the Cubs viewed as an annoying lot of drunken buffoons hopelessly chasing the horizon, nationally, the Cubs really are the "lovable losers."
Sadly, this is likely true. However, I do know that most NL Central teams loathe them. Go on a Reds or Brewers message board and ask what they think of the fans of the lovable losers. The reaction will be largely negative. However, outside the midwest, I'm sure it is a different view. I get the point you are trying to make though and you might be right. I still don't particularly think it is a good ad but marketing is all subject to opinion.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:55 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Sadly, this is likely true. However, I do know that most NL Central teams loathe them. Go on a Reds or Brewers message board and ask what they think of the fans of the lovable losers. The reaction will be largely negative. However, outside the midwest, I'm sure it is a different view. I get the point you are trying to make though and you might be right. I still don't particularly think it is a good ad but marketing is all subject to opinion.
Feelings towards the Cubs in other NL Central cities is a rivalry thing, though. What I have found out West over the years is that people look at the Cubs favorably and hold the White Sox in the sort of contempt that White Sox fans hold for the Cubs and their fans. Of course, some of that may be rivalry too because the White Sox spent so many years in the AL West. But a few years ago, I saw a national bandwagon for the Cubs when people believed they had the talent to get to and win the World Series. I don't believe there was any sort of national bandwagon for the White Sox in 2005.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:03 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Reading this reminds me of this rant from the 2008 season, during a Reds-Cubs contest at Wrigley Field.

Ironically, the balls were thrown onto the field after an Adam Dunn home run.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:28 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsang View Post
It can ONLY happen in a video game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVGAfA15U1I

(Note the flying pig at :11-:12, and the Mayan Calendar on the Cubs logo at :41)
A coworker of mine is friends with a guy who worked on the commercial, and he's a Sox fan, and he threw those digs in at the Cubs as hidden messages.

Also the lone guy celebrating on a rooftop several blocks away from Wrigley was suppose to represent Bartman in exile.

You've got a good eye spotting the flying pig and Mayan Calender. I didn't see them until the guy at work pointed them out to me.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:55 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
Reading this reminds me of this rant from the 2008 season, during a Reds-Cubs contest at Wrigley Field.

Ironically, the balls were thrown onto the field after an Adam Dunn home run.
I remember that rant. Classic. Cubs fans are the kings of littering the field with garbage when something doesn't go their way. I remember the huge amount of trash that came pouring on to the field after a game on 7/1/06 with Dempster on the bump trying to close it out. This usa today article even mentions the 5 minute game delay due to trash:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseb...sox-cubs_x.htm