Get well soon, Chris...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2012, 08:10 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses_Scurry View Post
Wasn't here for the game thread, so I don't know if I am alone on this, but I thought they should have pinch hit Lillibeast for Morel in the 8th when he struck out with 2 runners on. I don't know if the lefty-righty matchup was there, but I definitely didn't feel very confident in Morel (or Beckham if he had pinch hit).
My thought as to why Morel was allowed to hit is that it was the 8th game of the year and he (Ventura) was letting Morel sink or swim. Same with Ohman. My guess is if it where later in the year there would have been a pinch hitter in there for Morel. Just my two cents.

STATE CHAMPS!
Old 04-16-2012, 08:45 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisSoxFan View Post
My thought as to why Morel was allowed to hit is that it was the 8th game of the year and he (Ventura) was letting Morel sink or swim. Same with Ohman. My guess is if it where later in the year there would have been a pinch hitter in there for Morel. Just my two cents.
IMO, he's trying to work both Beckham and Morel out of their collective funks. If Beckham was given a mental health day, and if Morel is pinch hit, who plays third? Lillibridge has only 17 big league innings there and I don't know if Escobar has ever played 3B in the minors
Old 04-16-2012, 08:57 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
IMO, he's trying to work both Beckham and Morel out of their collective funks. If Beckham was given a mental health day, and if Morel is pinch hit, who plays third? Lillibridge has only 17 big league innings there and I don't know if Escobar has ever played 3B in the minors
He has not

http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=escoba001edu

0-2

LAST GAME: April 16 - Boston 6, Sox 4 (14)
NEXT GAME: April 26 vs. Tampa Bay
Old 04-16-2012, 09:06 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
I think we're in violent agreement.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:08 AM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

Quote:
That makes sense. Pinch hitting Beckham for Morel probably does more harm than good. I guess I just figured that Lillibridge and/or Escobar had more experience. It's kind of depressing knowing that Beckham and Morel are the only options at 3rd. If Morel continues to be terrible or gets injured, then Beckham moves to third and Escobar/Bridge platoon at second? I can't say I'm thrilled by that scenario.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:27 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
That makes sense. Pinch hitting Beckham for Morel probably does more harm than good. I guess I just figured that Lillibridge and/or Escobar had more experience. It's kind of depressing knowing that Beckham and Morel are the only options at 3rd. If Morel continues to be terrible or gets injured, then Beckham moves to third and Escobar/Bridge platoon at second? I can't say I'm thrilled by that scenario.
We have Dallas McPherson at 3B in AAA too, but he'd probably only be a stopgap.

Unless we're leading the division in July, I'd prefer the Sox to give Morel and Beckham a good season-long shot to get their careers moving before looking for upgrades.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:42 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
That's why we need to stick with Morel- we don't really have any other options within the organization- moving Beckham back to 3rd isn't one of them.

I'm willing to give Morel a little more time to settle in this year- I do like the way he can get a bunt down in the 2 slot- and with a little time that could be a good place for him- see more fastballs, focus on moving runners along, etc.
MLB Parks Visited: 24
MiLB Parks Visited: 11
Old 04-16-2012, 10:09 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
That's why we need to stick with Morel- we don't really have any other options within the organization- moving Beckham back to 3rd isn't one of them.

I'm willing to give Morel a little more time to settle in this year- I do like the way he can get a bunt down in the 2 slot- and with a little time that could be a good place for him- see more fastballs, focus on moving runners along, etc.
I concur. Morel can lay down the bunt and he is capable of hitting to right field. It's painful to watch him right now, but I'm hoping he can eventually get comfortable and do the job in the #2 hole...otherwise, you're right - not too many other options anyway. I think his defensive play is a reason to keep him in the lineup, even if not in the #2 spot.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:15 PM
WSI High Priest

Hopefully the Sox keep winning every series.
I was surprised with some of the plays Cabrera made at 3rd.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:23 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Wasn't here for the game thread, so I don't know if I am alone on this, but I thought they should have pinch hit Lillibeast for Morel in the 8th when he struck out with 2 runners on. I don't know if the lefty-righty matchup was there, but I definitely didn't feel very confident in Morel (or Beckham if he had pinch hit).
Morel had hits in each of the first two games against the Tigers, including an RBI single on opening day. Morel had two more hits and one more RBI in the series than the Tigers third baseman.

I believe the only White Sox player on the bench to have at least one career hit against Benoit was Rios, and I think it was just one in maybe five at bats. Lillibridge, I think, was 0-for-1 in his career against Benoit. facing him once last year. Morel was 0-for-1 against Benoit having faced him last year.