White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 06-04-2012, 01:49 PM
chisoxfanatic's Avatar
chisoxfanatic chisoxfanatic is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Brent Seabrook's guest room
Posts: 25,701
Blog Entries: 1
Default

It probably won't happen, but this is a good reason for the Sox to decrease their parking costs.
__________________
2013-2014 Blackhawks Attendance Record: 19-7-5 (Next Game: 9/23 vs. Detroit Red Wings - Preseason Opener)

26 Other Games I have (all season tickets): 10/11 vs. Buffalo (home opener), 10/16 vs. Calgary, 10/21 vs. Philadelphia, 10/28 vs. Anaheim, 11/2 vs. Winnipeg, 11/7 vs. Washington, 11/9 vs. San Jose, 11/16 vs. Dallas, 12/5 vs. Montreal, 12/16 vs. Minnesota, 12/21 vs. Toronto, 12/23 vs. Winnipeg, 1/4 vs. Dallas, 1/6 vs. Colorado, 1/16 vs. Winnipeg, 1/18 vs. Dallas, 1/20 vs. Arizona, 2/9 vs. Arizona, 2/11 vs. Vancouver, 2/20 vs. Colorado, 2/22 vs. Boston, 2/24 vs. Florida, 3/6 vs. Edmonton, 3/17 vs. New York Islanders, 3/27 vs. Columbus, 4/2 vs. Vancouver
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-04-2012, 01:58 PM
jdm2662 jdm2662 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Lombard, IL
Posts: 7,786
Default

I'm glad I discovered the green line a few years ago. Easier access to Metra line, and it's much less congested.
__________________
4-time WSI NFL Pick 'em vs Spread Champion
2009 2010 2011 2013
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-04-2012, 01:58 PM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 53,756
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisoxfanatic View Post
It probably won't happen, but this is a good reason for the Sox to decrease their parking costs.
I'm not really sure why as there doesn't appear to be much, if any, loss in CTA service to the park, though, if this causes an increase in demand for parking, then basic econ would tell you the Sox would be wiser to increase their rates, not that I expect them to do that.
__________________
2014 Obligatory Attendance & Record Tracker

0-4

LAST GAME: May 31 - Padres 4, Sox 2
NEXT GAME: Maybe never? Apparently I am bad luck
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-04-2012, 02:00 PM
SephClone89 SephClone89 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oswego, IL
Posts: 5,907
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I'm not really sure why as there doesn't appear to be much, if any, loss in CTA service to the park, though, if this causes an increase in demand for parking, then basic econ would tell you the Sox would be wiser to increase their rates, not that I expect them to do that.
Yes, but no chance people go out of their way to work around this problem. They'll say "this is too complicated now; **** it."
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-04-2012, 02:05 PM
DumpJerry's Avatar
DumpJerry DumpJerry is offline
Tom Feargal Hagen
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The hearts and minds of Sox fans on 10-26-05
Posts: 25,892
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisoxfanatic View Post
It probably won't happen, but this is a good reason for the Sox to decrease their parking costs.
Why? The track work won't result in an uptick in people driving to the games. They'll just hop on the Green Line tracks.
__________________

All hail The Rick
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-04-2012, 02:46 PM
vinny's Avatar
vinny vinny is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Albany Park
Posts: 3,664
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
No, when the Dan Ryan branch was built it was part of the Green Line, with trains running from 95th to Harlem in Oak Park via the Loop, whereas the North Side Red Line was paired with the Englewood/Jackson Park forks. They didn't switch them until they built the connection from the State Street Subway to the Dan Ryan branch in the early 90s when they built the elevated Roosevelt station.

CTA Map from 1991 shows the old configuration: http://www.chicago-l.org/maps/route/maps/1991map.jpg
CTA didn't start calling the lines by colors until 1993, when they realigned the through routes. So saying the Dan Ryan line was originally part of the Green Line is incorrect or at least misleading. When the Dan Ryan line opened it was part of the West-South route (Lake-Dan Ryan) while the North-South route was Howard-Englewood/Jackson Park:

http://www.chicago-l.org/maps/route/...70elevated.jpg

The system map color-coded the lines in 1985 (http://www.chicago-l.org/maps/route/maps/1985map.jpg) but the routes weren't called by those colors; in fact, green was generally the color used for "B" stop station signage from 1969 (when the Dan Ryan line went into revenue service) until 1995 (when all skip stops were eliminated). Red was the "A" stop sign color and blue was used for "A/B" stops.
__________________
2013: 4-4
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-04-2012, 02:57 PM
Noneck Noneck is online now
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nw Side
Posts: 7,045
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisoxfanatic View Post
It probably won't happen, but this is a good reason for the Sox to decrease their parking costs.
Decrease? I was thinking increase.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-04-2012, 02:57 PM
Max Power Max Power is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Evanston
Posts: 1,618
Default

Cool, it'll be just like the old days- when I first starting taking the el to Sox games.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-04-2012, 03:17 PM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 53,756
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny View Post
CTA didn't start calling the lines by colors until 1993, when they realigned the through routes. So saying the Dan Ryan line was originally part of the Green Line is incorrect or at least misleading. When the Dan Ryan line opened it was part of the West-South route (Lake-Dan Ryan) while the North-South route was Howard-Englewood/Jackson Park:

http://www.chicago-l.org/maps/route/...70elevated.jpg

The system map color-coded the lines in 1985 (http://www.chicago-l.org/maps/route/maps/1985map.jpg) but the routes weren't called by those colors; in fact, green was generally the color used for "B" stop station signage from 1969 (when the Dan Ryan line went into revenue service) until 1995 (when all skip stops were eliminated). Red was the "A" stop sign color and blue was used for "A/B" stops.
Yeah, I know, I just figured it'd be easier to not have to explain all that, too.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-04-2012, 03:37 PM
DumpJerry's Avatar
DumpJerry DumpJerry is offline
Tom Feargal Hagen
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The hearts and minds of Sox fans on 10-26-05
Posts: 25,892
Default

Come on, who doesn't remember the Ho-Dar? (Howard-Dan Ryan Line)
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06-04-2012, 03:39 PM
WhiteSox5187 WhiteSox5187 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southside
Posts: 14,254
Default

Work on the red line is long over due as it takes forever to go from 35th to Chinatown but as I live in Bridgeport and take the Red Line everyday this is going to be quite a pain.
__________________

Go Sox!!!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-04-2012, 03:51 PM
LITTLE NELL LITTLE NELL is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sebring Florida
Posts: 7,797
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Work on the red line is long over due as it takes forever to go from 35th to Chinatown but as I live in Bridgeport and take the Red Line everyday this is going to be quite a pain.
Why does it take so long, IIRC there isn't a station between 22nd st and 35th.
__________________
Coming up to bat for our White Sox is the Mighty Mite, Nelson Fox.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-04-2012, 03:56 PM
ilsox7 ilsox7 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Printer's Row
Posts: 14,203
Default

The story in the Tribune is full of a lot of quotes from some really stupid people.
__________________
"If you hang on to the flimsiness of anything you may as well be standing there counting crows..."
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-04-2012, 04:22 PM
soxgirl617 soxgirl617 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Lakeview, Chicago
Posts: 595
Post

IMHO the CTA really "buried the lead" in its online explanation. The fact that the Red Line will still run, albeit on the Green Line tracks between Roosevelt and Ashland/63rd, is huge. Unfortunately, the CTA explanation doesn't address that until well down the page, and even then doesn't really highlight it.

That means no changing trains from the Red Line to the Green Line going to or from games. For Sox fans, the change really just means having to walk three additional blocks to and from The Cell. The closures of the tracks will really stink for those who use the closed stations daily, but it shouldn't be a big deal for Sox fans.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 06-04-2012, 04:48 PM
DumpJerry's Avatar
DumpJerry DumpJerry is offline
Tom Feargal Hagen
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The hearts and minds of Sox fans on 10-26-05
Posts: 25,892
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Why does it take so long, IIRC there isn't a station between 22nd st and 35th.
Track conditions.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:58 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.