White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 08:04 PM
WSI Regular

Default Will Stone return to the booth in '13?

Talking with Boers and Bernstein last week, Stone seemed unenthusiastic about returning to the TV booth next year. He's under contract until 2014, but when asked directly if he'll be back next year, he said the travel is getting harder and said, "we'll have to see what happens." Also, in a not-too-thinly-veiled criticism of Hawk, he talked about how much he enjoyed the "conversational" broadcast with Mike Huff on the night Hawk was sick.

Comments are at 16:07 on this link.

I'd miss Stone if he decides to leave, but I hope the Sox would take the opportunity to refresh both the TV and radio crews and bring in some major-market quality talent. (Please, no more ex-players without broadcast experience, no matter how loyal they've been to the team.) Listening to John Rooney call the Sox-Tigers Sunday night game on ESPN radio a couple weeks ago brought back a lot of good memories.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:06 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kba View Post
Talking with Boers and Bernstein last week, Stone seemed unenthusiastic about returning to the TV booth next year. He's under contract until 2014, but when asked directly if he'll be back next year, he said the travel is getting harder and said, "we'll have to see what happens." Also, in a not-too-thinly-veiled criticism of Hawk, he talked about how much he enjoyed the "conversational" broadcast with Mike Huff on the night Hawk was sick.

Comments are at 16:07 on this link.

I'd miss Stone if he decides to leave, but I hope the Sox would take the opportunity to refresh both the TV and radio crews and bring in some major-market quality talent. (Please, no more ex-players without broadcast experience, no matter how loyal they've been to the team.) Listening to John Rooney call the Sox-Tigers Sunday night game on ESPN radio a couple weeks ago brought back a lot of good memories.
I heard that interview as well. It almost seemed like a farewell address. It was interesting as well that he referenced Harrelson without saying his name in the interview.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:26 PM
WSI High Priest

I like both Hawk and Stone for what they bring. I've grown up with Hawk's enthusiasm and Stone's overall knowledge during in-game situations. Sometimes though, Hawk debates or overrides Stone with what he knows and Stone seems to just go through the motions and do nothing but state the obvious. Whether it's ego, the travel or whatever I hope the Sox find a viable replacement.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:28 PM
WSI High Priest

Hawk completely stifles Stone.

Would this be the third guy Hawk has run out of the booth?

2014: 4-8 plus Fenway and HOF weekend
2013: 4-6 plus St. Louis and Milwaukee
2012: 7-4
2011: 6-4 plus NYC parks and Minnesota
2010: 5-6
2009: 2-4 plus Pittsburgh

"Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled."
--David Foster Wallace, () "Roger Federer as Religious Experience"
Old 09-30-2012, 08:31 PM
WSI Church Elder

I've posted in another thread about this, but will repeat it.

Most people agree the White Sox have a marketing problem, and its hard to argue that your biggest marketing dynamic are your daily broadcasts of games, but their are a lot of White Sox fans, evidently, who view Harrelson (and Farmer although to a much lesser extent) as a sacred cow.

Dump Harrelson, keep Stone and get a professional PBP guy.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:39 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingXerxes View Post

Most people agree the White Sox have a marketing problem, and its hard to argue that your biggest marketing dynamic are your daily broadcasts of games, but their are a lot of White Sox fans, evidently, who view Harrelson (and Farmer although to a much lesser extent) as a sacred cow.

Yep. If they keep Hawk over Stone then, well, just add it to the list of disappointments.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:56 PM
WSI Guru

In terms of marketing the team, Steve Stone is the worst thing to happen to the Sox in the past four years.

I'm surprised so many people are oblivious to this fact.

I'd take Hawk and DJ back in a heartbeat over Stone being in the booth. I don't think at this point that is the solution to the problem, but it's a statement to the fact that the Sox fanbase wants to listen homer announcers, either on the radio or tv side. Even John Rooney was a homer announcer. Steve Stone has gone out of his way to be as anti-homer and unenthusiastic about the Sox product as anyone possibly could, whether goofing on how bad the bobbleheads looked this year, to making fun of fans eating food in the stands when the tv cameras are on them, to refusing to show any enthusiasm after a big Sox hit or homer. Steve Stone hasn't sold a ticket to a Sox game since he joined the radio side in 2008.

My dream would be for Rooney to come back to Chicago. Team him back with Farmer and try to rekindle that magic.

Second choice would be for the Sox to raid the Mariners broadcast booth and bring Rick Rizz and Dave Sims over.

Third choice would be to get Dave Wills back to town.

A house-cleaning is in order. Stone and Farmer should be the first ones to go. Hawk may need to go after that. I'm the biggest Harrelson supporter there is, but his behavior over the past two weeks have been inexcusable and is pretty much a basis for firing. I know 1-9 in ten games is awful, but at least show up and try to do a professional broadcast. Of the four announcers, amazingly, the one guy I might consider keeping is DJ.

In the back of my mind, I still remember the series from Oakland in 2003 when Rooney went over to the tv side and teamed with DJ. Hawk was out for some reason. It was a great series. Unfortunately, I think DJ's been relegated to the goofy sidekick role with Hawk and Farmer for the past 13 years. If he was ever teamed up with a real announcer, he'd probably be able to shine.

Ok - that went longer than I thought. Point is, Stone sucks and he can go back to the Cubs.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:57 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

This. The franchise needs to re-brand. The product on the field, and in the booth, is stale. I always said I'd be livid if Hawk's bully ass ran Stone out of town. The prospect of listening to Hawk with some "yes man" crony seems unbearable at this point. It'll really kill my enthusiasm for the Sox and baseball in general. Frankly, Stone is the only reason I can deal with Hawk. I might have to take some time away from baseball until Hawk retires. I just can't deal with him anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 09-30-2012, 08:58 PM
WSI Personality

Bring Wimpy back?
Old 09-30-2012, 08:59 PM
WSI Prelate

Wimpy just hypes Hawk. It becomes Hawk to the 3rd power.

I'd rather a more professional broadcast. Stone and someone else.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:00 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
In terms of marketing the team, Steve Stone is the worst thing to happen to the Sox in the past four years.

I'm surprised so many people are oblivious to this fact.

I'd take Hawk and DJ back in a heartbeat over Stone being in the booth. I don't think at this point that is the solution to the problem, but it's a statement to the fact that the Sox fanbase wants to listen homer announcers, either on the radio or tv side. Even John Rooney was a homer announcer. Steve Stone has gone out of his way to be as anti-homer and unenthusiastic about the Sox product as anyone possibly could, whether goofing on how bad the bobbleheads looked this year, to making fun of fans eating food in the stands when the tv cameras are on them, to refusing to show any enthusiasm after a big Sox hit or homer. Steve Stone hasn't sold a ticket to a Sox game since he joined the radio side in 2008.

My dream would be for Rooney to come back to Chicago. Team him back with Farmer and try to rekindle that magic.

Second choice would be for the Sox to raid the Mariners broadcast booth and bring Rick Rizz and Dave Sims over.

Third choice would be to get Dave Wills back to town.

A house-cleaning is in order. Stone and Farmer should be the first ones to go. Hawk may need to go after that. I'm the biggest Harrelson supporter there is, but his behavior over the past two weeks have been inexcusable and is pretty much a basis for firing. I know 1-9 in ten games is awful, but at least show up and try to do a professional broadcast. Of the four announcers, amazingly, the one guy I might consider keeping is DJ.

In the back of my mind, I still remember the series from Oakland in 2003 when Rooney went over to the tv side and teamed with DJ. Hawk was out for some reason. It was a great series. Unfortunately, I think DJ's been relegated to the goofy sidekick role with Hawk and Farmer for the past 13 years. If he was ever teamed up with a real announcer, he'd probably be able to shine.

Ok - that went longer than I thought. Point is, Stone sucks and he can go back to the Cubs.
Since most people don't get it, I'm going to yell it. WE DON'T MIND THAT HAWK'S A HOMER! The problem is that he's a bully, a one trick pony, a sound board, washed up, tired, irritating and most importantly, a baby.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:03 PM
WSI High Priest

I've noticed some pretty long stoney (heh heh) silences during the Hawk-Stone TV broadcasts these past few weeks. I suppose some of that could be attributed to disappointment in the Sox collapse of late, but it sure seems awkward in there.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:08 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
I don't mind Jackson either, but he is saddled with Farmer throwing conversations over to him to which the fastest minds in the world couldn't respond:

"Seeing that line drive hit the chalk line and kick up some of that chalk powder reminds me of my rookie season.................anybody ever make you lick the chalk stripe as a rookie?????"

"......................................What?"
Old 09-30-2012, 09:15 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I don't mind Jackson either, but he is saddled with Farmer throwing conversations over to him to which the fastest minds in the world couldn't respond:
I saw a brilliant transcription of an actual Farmer/DJ conversation on another site:

"Did you see Southpaw today?"

"No. Did you?"

"No."
Old 09-30-2012, 09:18 PM
WSI Church Elder

Precisely.

Can you imagine your job being a person who is supposed to compliment the conversations started by the guy sitting next to you, and you never have any clue as to what he's going to say next?

It's got to be exhausting.
Closed Thread