White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 11:08 PM
WSI High Priest

I like Hawk, I really do. His level of passion for the Sox is something I aspire to have. However the Foghorn Leghorn schtick has not only grown tiresome, but has also grown exponentially in the last few years

Old 10-04-2012, 11:20 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cub killer View Post
http://www.shermanreport.com/are-har...hip-sox-booth/

http://www.csnchicago.com/baseball-c...4622155554-914

I'd rather Hawk and Stone continue together, and if there is still friction, then the Sox might as well market it with commercials that say "Two conflicting personalities. But there's one thing they agree on: Go Sox!. Can 2 grown men broadcast Sox games without driving each other crazy? Tune in to White Sox baseball and find out!"
" And the longtime Sox broadcaster hardly didn't view that ranking as an insult. " from the second link...

I nominate this for worst sentence ever constructed.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:27 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOXSINCE'70 View Post
I also remember an awkward silence after that rant.I wound up feeling sorry for Wimpy for having to endure the umpire baiting.
The oldest part of the Hawk's act is the constant battling of umps. We all get frustrated by bad calls, but so what? And to look at almost every strike and ball call during the season would drive me crazy. Hawk's excuse making also drives me crazy.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:06 AM
WSI Personality

This about sums up my feelings as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickAllen72 View Post
This is typical of this organization. Why does there always have to be some negative petty BS surrrounding this team every year?

Ozzie used to insult the fans and embarass the organization year after year yet Reinsdorf wouldn't let KW fire him and they only got rid of him after he decided to quit on the team with a year to go on his contract so he could take an offer for more money.

Reinsdorf took Hawk out of the TV booth and made him the GM because he thought he knew so much. He was terrible and quit after a year of failure yet they bring him back as their play by play guy. The guy becomes an unlistenable characture of himself, becomes the punchline of jokes and drives his partners away because of his huge ego, pettiness and mean streak and yet they'd rather lose a respected professional baseball analyst than let Hawk "retire."

Reinsdorf's misplaced loyalties along with the Sox' poor PR keeps this team from becoming a true first class major market franchise.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:52 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUsoxfan View Post
I like Hawk, I really do. His level of passion for the Sox is something I aspire to have. However the Foghorn Leghorn schtick has not only grown tiresome, but has also grown exponentially in the last few years

It's just plain depressing to listen to.

May have to get the baseball package next year so I can listen to the opposing team's announcers.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:57 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisox12 View Post
It's just plain depressing to listen to.

May have to get the baseball package next year so I can listen to the opposing team's announcers.
I think we said this already, but this won't work if you're in-market.

2014: 4-8 plus Fenway and HOF weekend
2013: 4-6 plus St. Louis and Milwaukee
2012: 7-4
2011: 6-4 plus NYC parks and Minnesota
2010: 5-6
2009: 2-4 plus Pittsburgh

"Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled."
--David Foster Wallace, () "Roger Federer as Religious Experience"
Old 10-05-2012, 08:59 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisox12 View Post
The MLB package doesn't show simultaneous broadcasts of the same game, usually you just get the home team feed so you'd have Hawk 81 times a year anyway, but it's all moot, if you're location is correct and you live in Chicago, as Sox games are blacked out here. You'd still have to watch CSN, WGN, WCIU, etc.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:07 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
The MLB package doesn't show simultaneous broadcasts of the same game, usually you just get the home team feed so you'd have Hawk 81 times a year anyway, but it's all moot, if you're location is correct and you live in Chicago, as Sox games are blacked out here. You'd still have to watch CSN, WGN, WCIU, etc.
For out-of-market games, the MLB.tv package (the online service, not Extra Innings) does offer the option of which broadcast you would like to watch, with occasional exceptions. You are right about Chicago-area fans and the blackout, of course.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:14 AM
WSI High Priest

Listening to Stone Pony on 670's Podcast from yesterday, it sounds like he's very happy with the White Sox organization and him leaving can be put to rest. His comments about Hawk were basically what everyone already knows. He's such a fan of the team that he experiences the high highs and the low lows. Also, Hawk has the tendency to take disagreements during the broadcast personally, but Stone said disagreements happen no matter who the two broadcasters are. It's all in how you handle it. So, nothing really new.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:58 AM
WSI Church Elder

The Diamondbacks announced today that both of their announcers, Daron Sutton and Mark Grace will not be returning next year.

An Arizona Republic article today stated that for their analyst, the team's top two targets are Bob Brenly and Steve Stone.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:27 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZChiSoxFan View Post
The Diamondbacks announced today that both of their announcers, Daron Sutton and Mark Grace will not be returning next year.

An Arizona Republic article today stated that for their analyst, the team's top two targets are Bob Brenly and Steve Stone.
You never know. Brian26 would certainly be happy.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:58 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZChiSoxFan View Post

Grace is awful .
Old 10-05-2012, 01:33 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahagga73 View Post
Grace is awful .
It would probably also help if he could lay off the sauce.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:56 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstrike2000 View Post
It would probably also help if he could lay off the sauce.
That ties into the other thread we had going on announcers.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 10-05-2012, 02:10 PM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
MLB.tv Premium package gives you your choice of home or away feed on every game that has both feeds. If you're only given one choice, it means the other team isn't on TV in their home market that day. And you're correct, if you're in the defined market for either team involved in the game, you're blacked out that day. When the Sox play the Twins, I have to watch the game on regular cable with the Twins' announcers, because the game is blacked out on MLB.tv for me.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Closed Thread