White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2012, 06:22 PM
WSI Personality

I am super happy to see the Sox lowering ticket prices. This is a HUGE step for the organization to start winning fans back to the ballpark. I just hope they don't stop there. I want to see a marketing campaign/media blitz aimed at the more casual fan base that dispels false stereotypes about the neighborhood and touts what the neighborhood and surrounding neighborhoods do have to offer in the way of nightlife, bars, & eateries, etc. Its high time the Sox started stealing casual fans away from the 'lovable' losers on the northside and started making Chicago a Sox town again!
Old 10-18-2012, 06:40 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16th&State View Post
I am super happy to see the Sox lowering ticket prices. This is a HUGE step for the organization to start winning fans back to the ballpark. I just hope they don't stop there. I want to see a marketing campaign/media blitz aimed at the more casual fan base that dispels false stereotypes about the neighborhood and touts what the neighborhood and surrounding neighborhoods do have to offer in the way of nightlife, bars, & eateries, etc. Its high time the Sox started stealing casual fans away from the 'lovable' losers on the northside and started making Chicago a Sox town again!
Many fans that go to Sox games plan out the 4-5 games they are going to go to early in the season. With cheap tickets these fans are more likely to go. When they look online and end up checking out four tickets in the lower deck for $240 they are scared off. This is a huge step in the right direction.

2014 White Sox Concession Tracker:
4 Miller Lite's
3 Half Acre Daisy Cutters
1 Hot Dog
1 Polish

It's gone.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:41 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16th&State View Post
Ladies Day and Single admission Double Headers could be next.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 10-18-2012 at 06:48 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:11 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehosepub View Post
My thought exactly - I am in the premium lower deck box but not in the "primo" sections within 15 rows of the field and close to the plate. I will probably trade down next year because the pricing differential looks to be substantial- unless they could be move me down and closer to the field (which I hear every year "there is nothing available" and yet I meet new STH's that moved into the "primo" areas). It doesnt make to pay the premium prices if you are on the fringes.
This is good news for people with tickets in the outfield, bleachers, and upper deck but most season ticket holders have tickets in the lower box and premium lower box. The email from the Sox doesn't make it seem like these tickets will be going down much or at all.

Last edited by Wedema; 10-18-2012 at 07:27 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:30 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadMoney View Post
I think - for the sake of the casual fans - they still need to help market the hell out of the neighborhood and area surrounding the park (as being safe, clean, etc.), but this is a start.
For the casual fan, the Sox need to market their ballpark. The neighborhood around Sox park will never, ever be Wrigleyville. It's not logistically possible, and people need to get a grip with that. There are a handful of cool places within tolerable walking distances. The new Bacardi is awesome. But, spending time & energy marketing the "neighborhood" and bars that are a half mile away is a waste of resources. The Sox need to market their park and the in-game experience, the ease of parking, the food, the restrooms (yes!), the friendliness for families, the Fundamentals deck, and the team.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:50 PM
WSI Guru

Comcast Sports Chicago just played part of an interview with Brooks where he said lowering ticket prices will have no impact on the Sox budget regarding payroll for the team in 2013.

In fact he said he hopes that it will help raise the payroll (I assume because if more people buy tickets this off season they'll have more money to work with)

Brooks said the Sox would never do something that would impact the on field performance of the club.

Lip
Old 10-18-2012, 07:55 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Comcast Sports Chicago just played part of an interview with Brooks where he said lowering ticket prices will have no impact on the Sox budget regarding payroll for the team in 2013.

In fact he said he hopes that it will help raise the payroll (I assume because if more people buy tickets this off season they'll have more money to work with)

Brooks said the Sox would never do something that would impact the on field performance of the club.

Lip
Many people have said it is concession sales, not ticket sales, that drive the team's revenues.

All hail The Rick
Old 10-18-2012, 08:17 PM
WSI High Priest

From the e-mail cited earlier in this thread by HarryPotter:

Quote:
Near the end of the 2012 season, the White Sox commissioned a comprehensive research project by Rich Luker, the creator of The ESPN Sports Poll, author of “Simple Community,” and the Up Next trend columnist for Sports Business Journal, who helped examine White Sox fan sentiments on a variety of issues, including ticket prices, and other factors affecting the decision to attend White Sox games.
Is anyone with me in thinking this was that lengthy survey many of us received at the end of August, resulting in those two free tickets we got to use during the last home stand? I remember answering many questions about which method I use to get to the ballpark, how long it takes me to get there, if I'd drive to the ballpark if offered free parking with the purchase of four tickets, how many games I attend, what keeps me from attending more, etc. Quite a few of those questions were answered earlier today.

I think this is a great and long-overdue move on the part of the Sox. The 2012 club was a fun team that spent 117 days in first place; there's no reason they shouldn't have drawn two million fans this year. Maybe all of those people dressed as seats this spring and summer finally opened the eyes of the right people in the organization.

Reducing the parking fee may have something to do with the Red Line construction project that's planned for May-November 2013. If casual fans know that they won't be able to get to the ballpark via that train, they'll see that as another reason not come out to the park and won't. Let's be honest - people are lazy and not many of them would be willing to walk to and from the Green Line before and after games. Additionally, they may see that method as "not safe," which leads into the issue of the Sox needing to market the Bridgeport neighborhood and its positives, safety being among them.

Personally, I hope the rumor of $10 parking on Sundays is true because my boyfriend and I would absolutely drive to the ballpark for that price. It costs us a total of $14 for two round-trip train rides and to park at the Cumberland Blue Line stop, so a $10 parking fee would be a definite savings for us.
Robin!

Yaz! Pliers!

"Robin Ventura has one thing Ozzie does not have -- CLASS!" ~My dad, in response to seeing the Sox commercials that featured Robin, 03.08.12

Old 10-18-2012, 08:54 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsteel View Post
So Club Level, Lower Box, Premium Lower, and Gold Coast & Scout Seats are staying the same/increasing?

I have a feeling alot of people in Lower Box will jump to a different section.
Seats at most of these locations are business owned, investors (brokers), and wealthy people.

Those folks have no problem affording those prices for a premier location.

1) I bet 90% would hate to give up their premier locations. 2) There are plenty other people (same financial bracket) out there that would jump at the opportunity to take those seats.

I think the Sox do very well in selling 85-90% of their premier locations.

I would like to see the true number on that.

It's everywhere else in the park where they struggle to sell. This is a real good move to lower prices as they are.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:58 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsteel View Post
So Club Level, Lower Box, Premium Lower, and Gold Coast & Scout Seats are staying the same/increasing?

I have a feeling alot of people in Lower Box will jump to a different section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Seats at most of these locations are business owned, investors (brokers), and wealthy people.

1) I bet 90% would hate to give up their premier locations. 2) There are plenty other people (same financial bracket) out there that would jump at the opportunity to take those seats.

It's everywhere else in the park where they struggle to sell. This is a real good move to lower prices as they are.
LYS: not true about Lower Box. Where did you get your information? That is where my seats are and they are not corporate owned. In fact, this past season, all the seats in my row (Sec. 115, row 5) with the exception of my two seats were available at the Box Office. Over the past two years, many people who were sitting around me did not renew. Well over 15%. I won't be renewing next year due to $$ unless someone wants to buy my entire package and get all the tickets.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:08 PM
WSI Church Elder

A minor note to add: the "Lower Reserved" section will be called "Outfield Reserved" starting next season.

2013 Attendance Record: 11-22
2012 Attendance Record: 29-22
2011 Attendance Record: 15-19
2010 Attendance Record: 18-10
2009 Attendance Record: 5-9
2008 Attendance Record: 21-10
2007 Attendance Record: 6-14
2006 Attendance Record: 20-9

https://twitter.com/KJKobs
Old 10-18-2012, 09:09 PM
WSI Personality

Default Brooks

Brooks Boyer asked me a couple of months ago about White Sox attendance. I told him the Prime games are too expensive. The only Prime game that has sold out the last few years is Opening Day. There should be one price for all of the games. Secondly the lower deck box seats in the corners should be priced lower than the other box seats. And finally the upper deck seats in the corners should be lowered to $10 for all 81 games. I don't know how seriously he took my suggestions but the White Sox made some positive adjustments in their prices for 2013. I was surprised to see them lower the prices for parking also. Needless to say, I would like to think most White Sox fans have to be pleased with the ticket and parking prices for 2013.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:10 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
LYS: not true about Lower Box. Where did you get your information? That is where my seats are and they are not corporate owned. In fact, this past season, all the seats in my row (Sec. 115, row 5) with the exception of my two seats were available at the Box Office. Over the past two years, many people who were sitting around me did not renew. Well over 15%. I won't be renewing next year due to $$ unless someone wants to buy my entire package and get all the tickets.
I have a partial plan also in sec. 115 row 15, and many people that sit around me that I see numerous times throughout the season share plans with either family or friends. I already re-upped for next year, but it may be my last due to work/family obligations unless this team surprise me, which hopefully they will do.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:16 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post

My seats are in Premium Club. They are not corporate owned and I am by no means wealthy. A price increase would be a problem for me and it is disappointing that long-time season ticket holders would be rewarded with a price increase while lowering prices in most other areas. I think it is great that the Sox are lowering prices overall, but I disagree with the increase in premium areas.

Has anyone been contacted or seen detail about price increases?
Old 10-18-2012, 11:14 PM
WSI Regular

As a premium box STH who will not be getting a discount, I am thrilled with this move. My seats are great, and now the ambiance of the park will be better with more people in attendance.

The Sox are making the right move here. Why should they discount the tickets which sell the best? Rather, discount those that don't sell well. Makes total sense to me.