White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2012, 08:21 PM
WSI Regular

"Everybody clap your hands!" +1
Old 10-21-2012, 08:55 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunker down View Post
"everybody clap your hands!" +1
clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap
Old 10-21-2012, 10:09 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunker down View Post
"Everybody clap your hands!" +1
I know I need to know the proper way we sox fans spell rowdy (r-o-w-d-I-e) every 10 seconds
Old 10-21-2012, 10:39 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by skobabe8 View Post
Speaking of the scoreboard, when will we get a major league worthy one? For a franchise that pushed the envelope in scoreboards in the 60s and 70s, we have almost accepted the fact that ours is currently among the worst in the league.
I responded to that fan survey too, and among my comments I talked about the CF scoreboard. It needs to actually show the score and it needs to embrace the in-your-face goofiness of Veeck's 1960 original -- lights, sound effects, and all.

There's no reason it couldn't carry the line score and still have plenty of room for a gonzo video board along with ad space. The home-run fireworks are still good, but the board itself is toothless and tame as compared to its 1960s ancestor.

I see film clips of the old board in its full home-run gallop and watch the lights bounce randomly while Roman candles sparkle out of the top, and wonder why the current board can't do that. Technology is light years ahead of 1960 and there certainly would be sponsors willing to put their names on an attraction like that. In "Veeck As In Wreck," he described how the 1960 monster was built without any upfront expense by the White Sox: the display company who designed it arranged for the ad space and the board paid for itself in a few years.

The Sox haven't run with that, and I don't get it.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:44 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FielderJones View Post
Ask what is the rationale for keeping Dynamic Pricing. If the Sox price tickets right in the first place, there isn't going to be any profit to be made in the secondary market. Ask how much research the Sox do on the secondary market.
+1 on getting rid of the Dynamic and Premium Game pricing. It's an embarrassing to the respect of the game.

+1 on the scoreboard idea someone else mentioned. After going to KC, it's obvious we are behind the times.

How about information on the Metra station. Anyway to play that up, as more trains info would help draw people in.

Help develop the neighborhood with respect to place to eat and hang out. It seems too obvious.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:41 AM
WSI Church Elder

I really don't want the KC or Yankees style scoreboards, which I think are overwhelming. Tebman's idea of the 60's style framing of the new screen is perfect. Given that the current screen made its appearance in 2003, I wonder if it has paid itself off yet.

Metra has mishandled the 35th Stret station by dropping the Ravinia style specials after the game that they ran during the first year. (which may have been a bit more successful if conductors actually collected fares.) Their current outbound schedule doesn't have an outbound train show up at 35th until 11:21 after a night game, too late for a normal 10:00ish end time of a game.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:01 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebman View Post
I responded to that fan survey too, and among my comments I talked about the CF scoreboard. It needs to actually show the score and it needs to embrace the in-your-face goofiness of Veeck's 1960 original -- lights, sound effects, and all.

There's no reason it couldn't carry the line score and still have plenty of room for a gonzo video board along with ad space. The home-run fireworks are still good, but the board itself is toothless and tame as compared to its 1960s ancestor.

I see film clips of the old board in its full home-run gallop and watch the lights bounce randomly while Roman candles sparkle out of the top, and wonder why the current board can't do that. Technology is light years ahead of 1960 and there certainly would be sponsors willing to put their names on an attraction like that. In "Veeck As In Wreck," he described how the 1960 monster was built without any upfront expense by the White Sox: the display company who designed it arranged for the ad space and the board paid for itself in a few years.

The fireworks currently come from the scaffolding in the players parking lot and not the scoreboard.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:47 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedema View Post
The fireworks currently come from the scaffolding in the players parking lot and not the scoreboard.
That's true. It's a site limitation given the position of the board in relation to the neighboring building. But the fireworks' lanching position doesn't change the point of my comment about the pedestrian way the board currently celebrates a home run.

It's not simple nostalgia for 1960. Home runs were then, and still are, relatively rare things that bring on eruptions of noise from the crowd. Veeck's fun-at-the-ballpark insight was that the scoreboard should join in the celebration just like the noisy pinball machine that was its inspiration. The scoreboard's act was different every time because the patterns of the lights and the sound effects were randomized.

It was such an over-the-top addition to the game that it wasn't long before other teams adopted similar stunts. What we have now is an increase in the noise floor: fan noise meters, "everybody clap your hands," "r-o-w-d-i-e," and all the rest. I just think that with some imagination and money from a couple of sponsors the White Sox could recapture their legacy for creative enjoyment.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:56 AM
WSI Church Elder

When are they bringing back the Flying Sock logo?
Old 10-22-2012, 11:19 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfourni View Post
I know I need to know the proper way we sox fans spell rowdy (r-o-w-d-I-e) every 10 seconds
"R-O-W-D-I-E, Let's get rowdie, Woo!" is definitely one of my pet peeves at the park. Not only is it annoying but the crowd never responds to it. The "everybody clap your hands" gets a big response and it is used in most ballparks these days. However, we are the only ones loyal to the "R-O-W-D-I-E" chant that is usually followed by crickets chirping and silence. This has been a staple since the balllpark was still New Comiskey though. Someone in the ballpark entertainment dept. likes it. I don't see it leaving anytime soon unfortunately.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Last edited by Foulke You; 10-22-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:46 AM
2008 WSI Pick 'Em Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylestillman View Post
Easy solution to the Hall of Fame is to incorporate it into the new store on 35th Street. Accessible to all and a draw to the store.

Here's an odd one. How about concessions/vendors in the parking lots. I love to tailgate, but there are times when I just don't feel like loading up the grills and the coolers. This might lead to the set up of a Yawkey Way type of arrangement.

The Sox also have to get rid of the "bum's rush" attitude at the end of the game. Closing concession stands early, including the souvenir stands and shops, the nightly announcement that you can stay for the press conference, but then the park is closed, and the Bullpen bar evacuation seemingly minutes after the game. The announcement should invite fans to Bicardi's and the Bullpen Bar and then allow them to stay open for a reasonable time after the game.

Total agreement on a refresh of promotion nights. Mullet night is an embarrassment, a self affirming stereotype.

Oh, and bring back straight A and perfect attendance give away for kids. I swear this made my family go to more games.
I agree with this 100% Make the fans feel like you, ya know, actually WANT us there. I was there twice this year for 1:10 starts and they werre clearing the place out by 4:00.

Last edited by Jerko; 10-22-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:00 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebman View Post

The scoreboard could use a technology update, but even more so, would benefit from having operators that actually consider what the fans might want to see.

At one of the late season Cleveland games, when the Sox were still very much in the race, I got to my seats about 30 minutes early to have dinner. You would think they would have the out of town scoreboard running, as the Tigers game was well underway. Instead, they had a giant Sox logo and "US Cellular Field" on the board all the way to the line up announcements. Then, during the game between innings, instead of showing the Tigers score, they ran "Great Moments in Cleveland/White Sox history" and "Great Players in Cleveland History" over and over again.

They are so obsessed with logos/graphics and pointless trivia on the centerfield and right field scoreboards. I understand the need to run ads from time to time. But when they are not, how about some relevant information like we can easily get at home.

And if you think they don't have enough people to accomplish this, take a look at how many people they employ to run the scoreboard:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/team...e.jsp?c_id=cws

Other ballparks not only have larger scoreboards, but they use the space they have much better.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:21 PM
WSI Regular

A fave of this forum: Can we get more organ music, and less canned crap? It should be 90% organ music, 8% canned Let's Go Go Go White Sox, and 2% Thunderstruck or something else if you want to start the game with a theme. Nothing else is needed.

I long for the days of Nancy Faust playing cool renditions of pop songs. I do not long for songs I can hear any day any time on the radio or my iPod.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:57 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplodingScorbord View Post
A fave of this forum: Can we get more organ music, and less canned crap? It should be 90% organ music, 8% canned Let's Go Go Go White Sox, and 2% Thunderstruck or something else if you want to start the game with a theme. Nothing else is needed.

I long for the days of Nancy Faust playing cool renditions of pop songs. I do not long for songs I can hear any day any time on the radio or my iPod.

It would be nice if they turned the music down a touch as well as Gene Hondas microphone so that you can have a conversation without screaming.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:39 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky F. Dent View Post
Showing my age with this one, but: is there any plan to down play the noise that gets piped in through the sound system and let fans enjoy the game.
I so agree! Let us listen to the game.