White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2012, 09:42 PM
WSI Personality

Probably not the occasion to bring up the announcing situation.

On the other hand, there were some real positives this year, starting with Robin.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:06 PM
WSI Guru

My thinking is that Brooks is going to want to concentrate if possible on the announcement of the ticket price reductions and the main overall reasons for the attendance decline for the past six seasons in his call with web sites on Tuesday, I have no inside info on that...simply my impression.

Lip
Old 10-23-2012, 08:48 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
My thinking is that Brooks is going to want to concentrate if possible on the announcement of the ticket price reductions and the main overall reasons for the attendance decline for the past six seasons in his call with web sites on Tuesday, I have no inside info on that...simply my impression.

Lip
I know this is out of Boyer's realm, but I really would like to know if the Sox realize that the #1 main reason attendance has declined dramatically the last 6 years is the disappointing results on the field season after season.

I'm glad ownership has been willing to pony up money for payroll in recent years, but do they realize that something needs to be done to vastly improve the depth/talent in this organization. Mostly relying on "scrap heap" acquisitions and spending a lot of money on players like Adam Dunn isn't going to make this team a consistent pennant contender.

Until Sox ownership/management figure this out, attendance will continue to flounder even if we talk about these other factors until we're blue in the face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebman View Post
..... What we have now is an increase in the noise floor: fan noise meters, "everybody clap your hands," "r-o-w-d-i-e," and all the rest. I just think that with some imagination and money from a couple of sponsors the White Sox could recapture their legacy for creative enjoyment.
I know those things aren't going to go away. My problem is that they seem to do these things over and over again at the Cell. The overall music selection is lame and stale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
The only people who can see the Hall of Fame are Scout Seat people.
....and only people in the skyboxes can see the World Series trophy if I'm not mistaken. Why isn't that trophy out there in the main concourse for everyone to see? It sort of fits with the image of Sox ownership too focused on corporate clients (who are important, no doubt) at the expense of average fans.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:59 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by socko82 View Post
The lower ticket prices are a great start but my question is how long are they going to hold their entire fan base responsible for the actions of a drunken father and son ten years ago? Can't they come up with some sort of system to allow ALL of your customers to enjoy the ENTIRE ballpark? Instead of making half your customers feel like second class citizens why not allow everyone to enjoy the statues, hall of fame, etc. Why continue to limit the fan experience for your law abiding, rule following fans because of your own past security short comings?
They fixed it. Shell out $20 for an outfield reserve ticket and you will have lower deck access.
How is telling fans to quit complaining and buy outfield reserved tickets going to help the Sox sell more upper deck seats? There aren't enough outfield reserve seats to solve the Sox attendance problem.

I really don't know if the upper deck quarantine policy is really a big factor in ticket sales, but maybe it's time that the Sox took a closer look at it. My guess is that it's not the main reason people avoid the UD, but it probably doesn't help. It's likely just one more thing that feeds into the bad perception the UD has even if people up there seldom venture downstairs.

I personally don't have a problem with going to some games with nice seats in the upper deck and staying there. But if the point of this discussion with Sox management is to brainstorm for ways to improve ticket sales and the fan experience, I sure the hell hope their response isn't just to tell people to stop complaining and by outfield seats if they don't like it.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:28 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
How is telling fans to quit complaining and buy outfield reserved tickets going to help the Sox sell more upper deck seats? There aren't enough outfield reserve seats to solve the Sox attendance problem.

I really don't know if the upper deck quarantine policy is really a big factor in ticket sales, but maybe it's time that the Sox took a closer look at it. My guess is that it's not the main reason people avoid the UD, but it probably doesn't help. It's likely just one more thing that feeds into the bad perception the UD has even if people up there seldom venture downstairs.

I personally don't have a problem with going to some games with nice seats in the upper deck and staying there. But if the point of this discussion with Sox management is to brainstorm for ways to improve ticket sales and the fan experience, I sure the hell hope their response isn't just to tell people to stop complaining and by outfield seats if they don't like it.
The Sox have made an effort to improve things on the upper deck concourse, but it's just not the same experience.

IMO the whole Ligue thing was an excuse by the team to separate the park into areas for different classes of fans, which was extended by the scout seats claiming the best seats in the park (and the hall of fame), and the gangstering of the outfield fan deck for day of game rental after one season.

And yes, I've complained to my ticket rep about such things time and time again, so it's obvious to me that these concerns by everyday fans are being ignored.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:57 AM
WSI Guru

Russ:

Media people like Bill Gleason were writing in the early 80's that this was part of the Sox plan all along, remember the "golden boxes" concept?

That in effect separating the high rollers from the average working stiff is an ingrained part of the philosophy.

I don't know if that is the case or not, but there does seem to be some evidence to support that belief.

Lip
Old 10-23-2012, 10:07 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
And yes, I've complained to my ticket rep about such things time and time again, so it's obvious to me that these concerns by everyday fans are being ignored.
Give me a break. I'm sure the Sox have heard plenty of griping about the UD policy they just feel it's a better way to run their business. Your post reeks of entitlement. Just because they don't implement or agree with every single little thing you think they're doing wrong doesn't mean at all it's being "ignored." It's possible to gather data, evaluate it, and then make a choice that not all customers will agree with. You don't even have anything other than anecdotal evidence that you're in the majority opinion.

The long problem wasn't that the Sox closed off the Lower Bowl to Upper Deck ticket holders. The problem was there wasn't a really competitively priced Lower Bowl ticket. Now there is. Win-win.

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 10-23-2012, 10:14 AM
WSI High Priest

Interested to see the single game price cuts when we get there--on Fan Appreciation Day, I got a whole handful of those "buy 1 lower reserved, get 1 free" vouchers for weekday April games--might be an even better deal than I imagined.

2014: 4-8 plus Fenway and HOF weekend
2013: 4-6 plus St. Louis and Milwaukee
2012: 7-4
2011: 6-4 plus NYC parks and Minnesota
2010: 5-6
2009: 2-4 plus Pittsburgh

"Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled."
--David Foster Wallace, () "Roger Federer as Religious Experience"
Old 10-23-2012, 10:17 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky F. Dent View Post
Showing my age with this one, but: is there any plan to down play the noise that gets piped in through the sound system and let fans enjoy the game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SephClone89 View Post
Myself and my twentysomething friends who go to games wholeheartedly agree with you.
Add me to this party as well.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:20 AM
WSI High Priest

By the way, is there any truth to initial reports that Prime and Premier pricing is dead?

I somehow doubt it, as a vast majority of MLB teams have the same sort of tiered pricing.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:26 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
It would be nice if they turned the music down a touch as well as Gene Hondas microphone so that you can have a conversation without screaming.
Those days seem a distant memory now.

Oh,one other question for Brooks:

When is your radio play by play team going to change? Farmer is a very credible analyst,but,IMO, he is not a play by play guy.
DJ,once again,IMO,has got to go. He just rubs me the wrong way with all his cute phrases (i.e. "great goobly woo").

Last edited by SOXSINCE'70; 10-23-2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:30 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephClone89 View Post
By the way, is there any truth to initial reports that Prime and Premier pricing is dead?

I somehow doubt it, as a vast majority of MLB teams have the same sort of tiered pricing.

It looks like Prime and Premier pricing is dead as the Sox have said that only Opening Day and the two Cub games will be higher priced tickets. They should leave the Cub games as regular games also as they did not sell out last year during the summer and they are now on school nights in May (unless the Memorial Day game is a day game). The only tiered pricing will be in the Premium lower boxes as they will have 3 tiers with the seats closest to the field more expensive and the last rows the cheapest.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:31 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
The White Sox are holding a conference call with the media on Tuesday, and Whitesox Interactive has been asked to participate.

Brooks Boyer will be answering questions.

If anyone has any specific questions they would like addressed, please post them here. Our WSI representative on the call will ask the best questions to Brooks.

Thanks
Wll the questions and answers from the conference call be posted here today?
Old 10-23-2012, 10:45 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
The Sox have made an effort to improve things on the upper deck concourse, but it's just not the same experience.

IMO the whole Ligue thing was an excuse by the team to separate the park into areas for different classes of fans, which was extended by the scout seats claiming the best seats in the park (and the hall of fame), and the gangstering of the outfield fan deck for day of game rental after one season.

I know it has been brought up before but the problem is that many fans would buy an upperdeck ticket and hang out in the lower deck and concourse. For those who spent good $ on their lower deck seats they were left to deal with an overcrowded lower deck concourse and ridiculous lines for the bathrooms. The reality is that there is still a good % of fans who don't like the upper deck experience and would rather stand in the lower deck or sit in open LD seats as opposed to sitting in the seats they bought in the UD. I think the Sox did the right thing by allowing UD season ticket holders the right to access the lower deck but if you allow anyone who bought a single game UD ticket to overcrowd the bathrooms etc than you ruin the experience of people who spent the money to sit in the LD. There is still a bad perception problem with many fans about the UD. I have heard people say they feel like they are watching other people watch the game while sitting up there. It appears to be a bigger issue at USCF than other stadiums with equally higher upper decks (Cleveland for example)
Old 10-23-2012, 10:47 AM
WSI Church Elder

Lip:

As others have posted, I love loud music, but I don't love it between every pitch. Organ music is fine. 5 seconds of canned music between every pitch is not.

And I've posted this in the ticket reduction thread, but I don't think full season ticket holders who have seats in the "premier" tier should have to subsidize the price cuts around the park. I'm okay with no price cut, but I'll be disappointed if my ticket prices increase. I've been a loyal season ticket holder for 25 years and weathered multiple significant price increases over the years to see a lot of mediocre baseball.