White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2012, 06:38 AM
WSI High Priest

The Giants have been my favorite NL team for basically my whole life, but my rather recent and serious ex-girlfriend is from the Bay Area and loves the Giants, so I have a kind of weird passive-aggressive ambivalence to them right now.

I suppose I'll be watching anyway.

2014: 4-8 plus Fenway and HOF weekend
2013: 4-6 plus St. Louis and Milwaukee
2012: 7-4
2011: 6-4 plus NYC parks and Minnesota
2010: 5-6
2009: 2-4 plus Pittsburgh

"Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled."
--David Foster Wallace, () "Roger Federer as Religious Experience"
Old 10-23-2012, 08:27 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephClone89 View Post
The Giants have been my favorite NL team for basically my whole life, but my rather recent and serious ex-girlfriend is from the Bay Area and loves the Giants, so I have a kind of weird passive-aggressive ambivalence to them right now.

I suppose I'll be watching anyway.
I remember those feels.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:30 AM
WSI Prelate

Can't possibly watch the tigers win the series, please beat them Giants.

it's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you.

http://arsenalist.com/video/?id=xh2dx6

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:00 AM
WSI Church Elder

Can't cheer for Detroit. Go Giants!
It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. - A. Bartlett Giamatti
Old 10-23-2012, 10:41 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakath View Post
).

Giants actually hit better for average over the season than the Tigers (.269 vs. .268) despite playing in the NL. Tigers made up for that with a team ERA of 3.75 vs. 3.68 for the Giants, despite playing in the AL.

Giants seem to be better at stringing hits together to produce runs, and while their starters aren't quite as strong as the Tigers, they make up for it with a much better bullpen. The longer the series goes, the more I believe it favors the Giants.
Also, Barry Zito,Ryan Vogelsong and Matt Cain each had an RBI in their last LCS starts.

GO GIANTS!!

I think the Giants take it in 6.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:43 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky F. Dent View Post
Can't cheer for Detroit. Go Giants!
Neither can I,Bucky.Sox play the Tiggers too often for me to cheer for them.If the Tigers do win,it's a positive for
Leyland and Dombrowski.That's about all I could take away from the Tigers winning the WS.I still dislike them.They are
a division rival.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:15 AM
WSI Personality

Detriot sucks!
Old 10-23-2012, 12:05 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagowhitesox1 View Post
I'm going for our Central Division. Tigers in 6.
So we can argue that the AL Central is the strongest division in baseball, and that the World Series would have been won by the White Sox if not for the greatness of the Tigers outplaying them in a fierce struggle between two baseball titans.

If I'm a kid, and a bully spends six months beating me up on the playground, I don't wish him well. Of course, it means nothing who you support. It has no effect on who will win. The players don't care. It's not like you are going to run into Tigers fans who will welcome you on the bandwagon after supporting a bunch of losers all season. Maybe swallowing your pride would come with free drinks.

I like the Giants. I like the way they play baseball, strong pitching and defense, not swinging for the fences etc. But even if the Cardinals had won the NLCS, I wouldn't get a good feeling about seeing the Tigers win. Really, from a neutral perspective, there are more feel-good stories associated with the Giants than with the Tigers, although it's been months since anyone on the Tigers has been accused of a hate crime.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:52 PM
WSI Church Elder

Should be interesting, but I'll be pulling for San Fran (and I actually think I like them in this series).

I will say this: The existence of just two power bats and an ace doesn't make a champion. The Giants play like a team and don't swing for the fences. They'll surely put pressure on the Tigers defense. The Tigers WILL need pitching and defense (in addition to their 'big 3') to win this.

And this is interesting...
- The White Sox were #3 in MLB in HRs (748 Rs), they couldn't do it.
- The Athletics were #7 in MLB in HRs (804 Rs), they couldn't do it.
- The Yankees were #1 in MLB in HRs (713 Rs), they couldn't do it.
- The Giants were DEAD LAST in MLB in HRs (718 Rs)... let's see if they can do it.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:23 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakath View Post
Wednesday and Thursday in San Francisco, Saturday-Monday in Detroit, next Wednesday (Halloween) and Thursday back in San Francisco.

Despite the fact that these two are among the "original eight" in each of their leagues, they have never met in the World Series.

Giants in their 19th World Series (most by any NL team), Tigers in their 11th. Giants are 6-12 in their previous 18, Tigers 4-6 in their previous 10.

Remember that the Giants have home field due to the All-Star Game, mostly because Verlander got pounded in the first inning of that game, where a number of Giants had a big hand in that pounding. Usually it ends up that the All-Star Game is won or lost by players that won't even make the playoffs.
It looks like the Giants broke a 3-way tie of most World Series appearances by an NL team. The Cardinals and Dodgers also have appeared in 18 WS. So, either way this year, the winner of the NLCS was going to make their 19th World Series appearances.

Oh, and as far as the 16 original franchises go, the White Sox are tied with Cleveland for dead last in appearance with only 5.

The Flubs have had 10 appearances, but of course their last appearance was almost 70 years ago.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:10 PM
WSI High Priest

Giants have always been my favorite NL team so this call is easy for me....Go Giants!

I saw a stat that since they have gone to this format there are 6 teams that went into the World Series with 5 or more days off....5 of them lost.

Tigers were one of them in 2006...and they were swept by the Cards.

On paper, the Tigers have everything but home field going for them...4 rested starters who are on fire with ERA's under 1.0 in the playoffs...kind of like the Sox in 2005.

Verlander will only pitch twice unless Leyland changes his plan.
The Giants have to jump on them and get the Series back to SF, minimum.. they can win the last two in SF if they are trailing.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:54 PM
WSI Church Elder

Go Giants.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:41 PM
WSI High Priest

Location: In the water barrel off the now-finished Borman Expressway

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkjt View Post
I saw a stat that since they have gone to this format there are 6 teams that went into the World Series with 5 or more days off....5 of them lost.
The exception was the 2008 Phillies, who had 7 days between the end of the NLCS win over the Dodgers and the start of the series vs. the Rays.

Obligatory 2014 attendance record: 1-1

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

JACK....IS....BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-23-2012, 11:41 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
So we can argue that the AL Central is the strongest division in baseball, and that the World Series would have been won by the White Sox if not for the greatness of the Tigers outplaying them in a fierce struggle between two baseball titans.

If I'm a kid, and a bully spends six months beating me up on the playground, I don't wish him well. Of course, it means nothing who you support. It has no effect on who will win. The players don't care. It's not like you are going to run into Tigers fans who will welcome you on the bandwagon after supporting a bunch of losers all season. Maybe swallowing your pride would come with free drinks.

I like the Giants. I like the way they play baseball, strong pitching and defense, not swinging for the fences etc. But even if the Cardinals had won the NLCS, I wouldn't get a good feeling about seeing the Tigers win. Really, from a neutral perspective, there are more feel-good stories associated with the Giants than with the Tigers, although it's been months since anyone on the Tigers has been accused of a hate crime.
That's funny.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:29 AM
WSI Church Elder

San Francisco is a great city and a joy to visit. Detroit is a rotting cesspool full of jerks.

Go Giants.