White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2012, 10:04 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
So we can argue that the AL Central is the strongest division in baseball, and that the World Series would have been won by the White Sox if not for the greatness of the Tigers outplaying them in a fierce struggle between two baseball titans.

If I'm a kid, and a bully spends six months beating me up on the playground, I don't wish him well. Of course, it means nothing who you support. It has no effect on who will win. The players don't care. It's not like you are going to run into Tigers fans who will welcome you on the bandwagon after supporting a bunch of losers all season. Maybe swallowing your pride would come with free drinks.

I like the Giants. I like the way they play baseball, strong pitching and defense, not swinging for the fences etc. But even if the Cardinals had won the NLCS, I wouldn't get a good feeling about seeing the Tigers win. Really, from a neutral perspective, there are more feel-good stories associated with the Giants than with the Tigers, although it's been months since anyone on the Tigers has been accused of a hate crime.
In this case, the kid was kicking the other kid's butt until the first kid wore down, at which point the second kid finished the fight. I see no bullies in this scenario. Regardless, seeing another AL Central team win the World Series would be mildly gratifying for me, if only because some of my friends are Tigers fans.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 10-24-2012, 12:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnkleSox View Post
Detroit is a rotting cesspool full of jerks.
Really? Every time I've been to Detroit I thought the people were more friendly than the average city.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:45 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
... I see no bullies in this scenario. Regardless, seeing another AL Central team win the World Series would be mildly gratifying for me, if only because some of my friends are Tigers fans.
Delmon Young, though, is a lousy excuse for a human being, who has been accused of being a bully. But I digress.

I'm sorry if my analogy doesn't ring true with you. It gives me no satisfaction to see a team that spent the summer beating up on the White Sox playing for the championship. Watching the Tigers win does nothing to legitimize my cheering for the White Sox in my mind or the mind of others. I took joy in seeing that they lost five of six to the Mariners, and I would take joy in watching them lose four games in the upcoming week.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:05 PM
WSI Personality

Hopefully the long layoff has cooled down Detroit's bats, but if will not cool down the pitching,

the Giants have to come out of the gate hitting if they want to win it.

"I give you five minutes when we get there. Anything happens in that five minutes and I'm yours. No matter what. Anything a minute on either side of that and you're on your own. I don't sit in while you're running it down. I don't carry a gun. I drive."
Old 10-24-2012, 08:29 PM
WSI Church Elder

Thank you Sandoval!! I hope Detroit gets swept.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:29 PM
WSI Prelate

One inning in, and I'm already sick of Joe Buck. Justin Verlander is a great pitcher, not a mythical creature. It's not a miracle if someone turns on his fastball.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:59 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
Thank you Sandoval!! I hope Detroit gets swept.
Wishful thinking IMO, but that would be sweet.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:01 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUsoxfan View Post
Eh...sadly have to go with Detroit in this one. Can't cheer for the BALCO Bombers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
No team in the majors hit fewer home runs than the Giants this year, and it really wasn't close.
They had 1 guy hit more than 12 home runs. And he had 24. Only 3 guys hit double digits in hr.
This is mind boggling considering the days of Bonds and that he almost hit more in 1 season than the entire team this year.

Depressing seeing tigers there after we fell apart last 3 weeks

Last edited by 34rancher; 10-24-2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:12 PM
WSI Personality

Barry Zito wasn't even on the World Series roster when the Giants won it all in 2010 and now he is starting game 1 of the 2012 World Series. Tim Lincecum won the NL CY Young in 2008 and 2009 and won 2 games in the 2010 World Series and is now in the bullpen for the 2012 World Series. Baseball is a strange game!
Old 10-24-2012, 09:15 PM
WSI Prelate

4-0 via the 2-run blast by Sandoval!
Old 10-24-2012, 09:15 PM
Winner 2014 WSI PTC Contest

Wow. 4-0 Giants bot of 3rd. You gotta get to Verlander early, and they have. Can it hold up?
Old 10-24-2012, 09:16 PM
WSI Church Elder

Sandoval does it again!!! 4-0 Giants bottom of 3rd. This is great watching Verlander get lit up after all of Joe Buck's praising. Man he's horrible.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:21 PM
WSI Personality

Verlander is having a meltdown,
Old 10-24-2012, 09:22 PM
WSI Church Elder

Maybe this game would be different if it were in Detroit. Karmic justice for Verlander treating his all star start like a self-serving joke. Hope his fun was worth it.

-A Tigers fan, just before the Pale Hose defeated the Kitties 9-1.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:34 PM
WSI Personality

Want a good laugh? Check out the Tigers forum right now.