White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2012, 08:57 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
I hold nothing against Buehrle, he must have finally thought that the money was more important than playing for the city and team he said he loved so much, so many times, during all the years he played here. I hope he enjoys his next 3 years down there.
The real question is whether he loves his family more than he loves the city & team. He made the correct choice, especially since there wasn't really a choice since the Sox couldn't have signed him for half of what Miami was offering.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:58 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Yes I would, but I would have been upfront and told the world, Show me the money. Im a hired gun and I go to the highest bidder.
Which was untrue since he called the Sox after Miami made their offer and was willing to come back for less. JR told him it would be crazy not to take the money.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:06 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Which was untrue since he called the Sox after Miami made their offer and was willing to come back for less. JR told him it would be crazy not to take the money.

I dont remember anything about him willing to take less. I thought it was him telling Reinsorf what he was being offered and maybe hoping Reinsdorf would match but things didnt work out that way.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:12 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
The real question is whether he loves his family more than he loves the city & team. He made the correct choice, especially since there wasn't really a choice since the Sox couldn't have signed him for half of what Miami was offering.
I know you really like Buerhle and I respect that and you. We feel different on this one and I dont want to continue to muddy a thread about a good signing with this.

Im glad the Sox signed Peavy and I will enjoy the rest of day as a result of this.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I hold nothing against Buehrle, he must have finally thought that the money was more important than playing for the city and team he said he loved so much, so many times, during all the years he played here. I hope he enjoys his next 3 years down there.
Kind of hard to sign a contract you were never offered, isn't it?
Old 10-30-2012, 09:16 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Also, I am not so sure the White Sox even made him an offer. I know they offered him arbitration but I think that that is about it. I seem to remember reading in the Tribune that Buehrle's call to JR also asked if the White Sox were going to make ANY offer.

Go Sox!!!
Old 10-30-2012, 09:28 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Also, I am not so sure the White Sox even made him an offer. I know they offered him arbitration but I think that that is about it. I seem to remember reading in the Tribune that Buehrle's call to JR also asked if the White Sox were going to make ANY offer.
Exactly. The Sox couldn't offer him anything that wouldn't be short of a complete slap in the face.

Noneck's said his peace; you know how I feel about it. I guess let's move on....
Old 10-30-2012, 09:41 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
The biggest news of the Rick Hahn era:

Today is Tuesday.
Hmmm.... Is Tuesday the new Wednesday?
Robin!

Yaz! Pliers!

"Robin Ventura has one thing Ozzie does not have -- CLASS!" ~My dad, in response to seeing the Sox commercials that featured Robin, 03.08.12

Old 10-30-2012, 09:53 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxGal85 View Post
Yay! This is good news.
October26 - Twenty-SEVEN years ago, I married my husband on October 26. Since that day, we have been blessed with a wonderful family. Then, on October 26, 2005, when the baseball gods bestowed their good fortunes upon us, we saw the White Sox win the World Series. An incredibly talented team of grinders made every Sox fan's dream come true. My family and I celebrated with reckless abandon. And now, we look forward to that day when our White Sox will once again be World Series Champions!
Old 10-30-2012, 10:36 PM
WSI Church Elder

Peavy wins the Gold Glove too, great day for Jake. Glad he'll be here a while.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:41 PM
WSI Regular

I like the re-sign of Peavy and the pickup of Floyds option, both good moves in today's pitching market. And as always pitching wins. the Giants and Cardinals showed how important pitching depth is over the last three years.

Starters:

1Sale
2Peavy
3Danks (hopefully)
4Floyd
5 Quintanna or Santiago

Relievers:

Axlerod
Santiago or Quintanna
Thorton
Crain
Reed
Veal
Nate Jones

Thats a good start. I would not be surprised if Thorton is dealt with his salary and the Sox surplus of LH relievers.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:43 PM
WSI Personality

Agree

Absolutely fantastic news. Jake is a winner and with Sale and Peavy it keeps the Sox with a heck of 1 2 punch. Chicago White Sox baseball you have to love it.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:49 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWHITESOX View Post
Absolutely fantastic news. Jake is a winner and with Sale and Peavy it keeps the Sox with a heck of 1 2 punch. Chicago White Sox baseball you have to love it.
So we're paying Danks ace money to be a #3. Fantastic.

Last Game: N/A
Next Game: TBD
Nacho Helmet Count: 0

- 2011 WSI H2H2 Keeper League Runner-up (Relatively Decent)

Frank Thomas, Hall of Famer. I love the sound of that.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:01 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtGrnwdSoxFan View Post
So we're paying Danks ace money to be a #3. Fantastic.
Yep. Just like the Giants paid Tim Lincecum $18M to come out of the bullpen when it counted most.

Starting pitching, actually pitching depth in general, is the most important thing in this game and teams are going to pay for it. What would you consider Kyle Lohse in St. Louis (with Carpenter and Wainwright)? Because he was being paid $11.875M the past two seasons and will - without a doubt - get more in FA this off season to be a 2 or 3 somewhere else.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:10 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadMoney View Post
Yep. Just like the Giants paid Tim Lincecum $18M to come out of the bullpen when it counted most.

Starting pitching, actually pitching depth in general, is the most important thing in this game and teams are going to pay for it. What would you consider Kyle Lohse in St. Louis (with Carpenter and Wainwright)? Because he was being paid $11.875M the past two seasons and will - without a doubt - get more in FA this off season to be a 2 or 3 somewhere else.
I'm not necessarily complaining, I understand proven solid starting pitching comes at a premium price. Hopefully he comes back and becomes the pitcher he was pre-injury.

I'm glad we have another solid rotation this year (on paper, at least).