White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2012, 11:15 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdog1017 View Post
I'd like to have AJ and Youk back, but I don't see how its going to work financially. Somebody is going to throw some stupid money at AJ, making it dumb to bring him back at huge money for at least 2 years, most likely 3.
Somebody get traded. At least that what someone on the score said Hahn mentioned when Peavey was signed. Dunn maybe? Back to the national league...San Fran maybe? It could be a Johnson/Konerko dh/1b time share.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:23 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
He's fragile,
This is true

Quote:
bad defensively, can't run the bases and is walk/HR or nothing.
Defense is solid when he is healthy. When that knee degraded on him this year, he had the range of a parked car.

Quote:
and is walk/HR or nothing.
I disagree here. He gives quality ABs and sees a ton of pitches. Fouls off lots of tough pitcher's pitches and in general is a very tough out. He had over 100 hits and 15 doubles so they weren't all HRs.

Youk makes a solid addition to the Sox lineup but I would only want him on a short term contract. Given the ridiculously thin FA market on 3B, Youk will likely garner a larger offer than the Sox are willing to give which would be ok with me. I'd like Youk back but not with a foolish contract.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 10-31-2012, 11:32 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
This is true

Defense is solid when he is healthy. When that knee degraded on him this year, he had the range of a parked car.

I disagree here. He gives quality ABs and sees a ton of pitches. Fouls off lots of tough pitcher's pitches and in general is a very tough out. He had over 100 hits and 15 doubles so they weren't all HRs.

Youk makes a solid addition to the Sox lineup but I would only want him on a short term contract. Given the ridiculously thin FA market on 3B, Youk will likely garner a larger offer than the Sox are willing to give which would be ok with me. I'd like Youk back but not with a foolish contract.
He does give you good at bats. I don't believe he'll ever be healthy. He's not that old, but broken, and frankly, fat. I'd rather have a guy who hits for average, runs the bases well and can really pick it. That guy might not exist, but at the price, I'd rather you or me at the hot corner over Youk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 10-31-2012, 11:44 AM
Official Professor

Quote:
I'd rather you or me at the hot corner over Youk.
Ridiculous hyperbole.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 10-31-2012, 12:17 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
Ridiculous hyperbole.
On a sports message board? Shocking. Truly shocking.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:44 PM
WSI Church Elder

Out of those three, I'd only prefer to have A.J. back, and that's only because I don't trust Flowers in a starting role. Pierzynski should command a lot of $ though. I feel like it's going to be Buehrle all over again. Youk is going to break down at some point next year. Only logical way to bring him back is if the DH was an open spot so he could switch back and forth, and that can't happen with PK and Dunn.
2010 ST Attendance Record: 1-0-1
2010 Attendance Record: 10-3
2011 Attendance Record: 4-6
2012 Attendance Record: 2-1
Old 10-31-2012, 12:57 PM
WSI Prelate

If the Sox had a bigger payroll, I would be fine with keeping Youkilis as a utility player, who could play first, third and DH, could pinch hit, and could give Robin flexibility to pinch run for Paulie and Dunn late in tie games.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:09 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
If the Sox had a bigger payroll, I would be fine with keeping Youkilis as a utility player, who could play first, third and DH, could pinch hit, and could give Robin flexibility to pinch run for Paulie and Dunn late in tie games.
If Floyd isn't traded for a 3B, I wouldn't be surprised to see Youk back. I don't know what free agent 3b could put up decent numbers as Youk did (.230/.340/.430, IIRC) at a reasonable price.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:23 PM
WSI Guru

The question is what is "reasonable" for Youk and what is "reasonable" for the Sox.

Lip
Old 10-31-2012, 01:35 PM
WSI Church Elder

I'm not big on bringing Youk back either, but compared to what the Sox were putting out there at third prior to his acquisition, Youkilis this year was George Brett. The idea to move Viciedo to third sounds horrible to me. If his future is at third, he should have not been moved to the OF in the first place. I'd rather let Morel and Sanchez battle it out and leave a fine LFer where he belongs.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:40 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
He does give you good at bats. I don't believe he'll ever be healthy. He's not that old, but broken, and frankly, fat. I'd rather have a guy who hits for average, runs the bases well and can really pick it. That guy might not exist, but at the price, I'd rather you or me at the hot corner over Youk.
3B is really becoming one of the tougher positions to fill these days. There just aren't a lot of quality guys available at the hot corner. The really good ones like Evan Longoria, David Wright, Ryan Zimmerman, etc. are all likely staying put. For me, I just want a guy who is decent on defense who provides a little pop in the lineup because 3B is traditionally a power position. Until Youk arrived, our 3B power production was laughable.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:45 PM
Official Professor

Quote:
On a sports message board? Shocking. Truly shocking.
That makes it no less ridiculous. Being on the internet doesn't require everything be grossly overstated to make your point.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:07 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
That makes it no less ridiculous. Being on the internet doesn't require everything be grossly overstated to make your point.
This is literally the most truthful statement I have ever heard.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:29 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Why do you care? He knew what I was communicating. Sure, it was hyperbole. It was intended to have a bit of humor too. Lighten up.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:43 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zisk77 View Post
Somebody get traded. At least that what someone on the score said Hahn mentioned when Peavey was signed. Dunn maybe? Back to the national league...San Fran maybe? It could be a Johnson/Konerko dh/1b time share.
I would love to see Dunn traded, and expect to be attacked for expressing as much. I think Dunn hitting .300, though, is a more likely future event than Dunn being traded to the Giants. (The Giants, being free of the albatross $10 million Aubrey Huff contract signed in the post-2010 championship euphoria, are not going to deal for Adam Dunn.) Maybe I'm wrong, though. Maytbe tGiants management belives they could have won the NL West and World Series this year if they found more home runs and more strikeouts in their lineup.

The only team I could see Dunn going to would be the Yankees, with their shallow right field and deep pockets. I really wouldn't mind a Dunn-for-Alex Rodrieguez swap if the Yankees made it financially attractive to the White Sox, which is probably unlikely. Rodriguez would probably be better at third than Youkilis was for the White Sox in 2012. Youkilis' production for the White Sox fell off after the All-Star break. He compared well to Hudson, who comared well to Morel, but looking for a third baseman in trade seems a bigger gamble than picking up the Youkilis option.