White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 02:30 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milw View Post
I dunno, the Phillies went into this season with Jim Thome on their roster. Given that interleague play is now a year-round event, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that an NL team could find a use for Dunn. Whether they'd give up anything of value for him is a different question, of course...
They weren't paying Thome $30 million, and they didn't have to give up anything to get him. There is no NL team that will take Adam Dunn's contract. No one offered it to him 2 years ago, amd he has done nothing to show he is worth it since.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:52 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
To be fair, why would the fanbase care about Dunn's accomplishments prior to 2011? He could have been Babe Ruth through 2010, but that has no bearing on what he's done over the last two years or what he'll do in 2013 & 2014. Over the last two years, he hasn't been worth the $26 million he's been paid (really, not even close), and the prognosis does not look good for the next two years at $30 million.
Because you're trying to make educated decisions about whats best for the franchise going forward and only a completely crazy person would cut off 10 years of data and rely solely on 2.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:27 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Because you're trying to make educated decisions about whats best for the franchise going forward and only a completely crazy person would cut off 10 years of data and rely solely on 2.
The crazy person would look at baseball statistics as if they were in a vacuum. What Adam Dunn in 2004 is irrelevant to what he's done in the past two years, which has been to fall off a cliff. It happened to Jermaine Dye. It could have happened to Konerko, but he reinvented himself a bit and learned how to poke base hits to right field.

If Dunn was even batting .235, this wouldn't be a discussion. He batted .267 and .260 with Washington in '09 and '10. Hovering around .200 or below is not what the Sox were paying for when they signed that contract.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:40 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milw View Post
I dunno, the Phillies went into this season with Jim Thome on their roster. Given that interleague play is now a year-round event, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that an NL team could find a use for Dunn. Whether they'd give up anything of value for him is a different question, of course...

Interleague play is a year-round event in that there will be an interleague series going on at all times, but each team will play only 20 interleague games. A National League team would only have 10 games in American League parks. The Phillies, for example, have four games in AL Houston in mid-September after the rosters expand and when they may or may not be in the race. I don't believe the demand for defensively challenged hitters will increase among NL teams. I think it's unlikely that the schedule change will make Adam Dunn more attractive to NL teams.

I would love for the Sox to trade Dunn. When they signed him, I thought they could get pretty much the same productivity out of Mark Reynolds for a smaller salary, but I didn't believe that would help them win either. I don't believe Dunn's game translates to winning baseball, and he has had two poor miserable years with the White Sox. If he got off to a good start in 2012 after making adjustments, those adjustments have either been surrendered by him or countered by opposing pitchers. There is no reason to believe the game he displayed in the NL, where he wasn't a part of winning teams, will ever show up in the AL where is being paid huge money to win.

The White Sox are stuck with Dunn, and it will be difficult to drastically improve the offense with him hitting third, fourth or even fifth on an everyday basis.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:33 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Ventura had ten good years, maybe we should give him a crack.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:46 PM
WSI Prelate

Another thing to remember about 3B is that Beckham can play 3rd. If there is a capable 2B out there, we could take him and just move Beckham over and solve the problem (with the offensive hole shifted from 2b to 3B).
Old 11-11-2012, 06:50 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Another thing to remember about 3B is that Beckham can play 3rd. If there is a capable 2B out there, we could take him and just move Beckham over and solve the problem (with the offensive hole shifted from 2b to 3B).
There was an article somewhere last week that the Sox were thinking about moving the Tank back to 3B.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:17 PM
WSI Personality

Dunn still has value especially to a team like the Astros now that they're heading to the AL.

Always looking for Game used jerseys
Check out my collection at
http://whitesoxcollectibles.webs.com/
Old 11-11-2012, 08:31 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8mexico View Post
Dunn still has value especially to a team like the Astros now that they're heading to the AL.
Why would a rebuilding team take on a 2-year, $30 million contract of a 32-year old DH on the decline? They dealt Carlos Lee to the Marlins last season for a reason. Brett Wallace can put up better numbers than Dunn, at basically the minimum.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:37 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post

Why would a rebuilding team take on a 2-year, $30 million contract of a 32-year old DH on the decline? They dealt Carlos Lee to the Marlins last season for a reason. Brett Wallace can put up better numbers than Dunn, at basically the minimum.
Exactly. Even as a native Texan on a bad team with payroll flexibility, you can do better.

Just put him in there and hope for the best.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:23 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
I agree that the Astros won't want Dunn, but they need an upgrade. Brett Wallace has a zero chance of putting up numbers anywhere near Dunn's. Walllace has no power at all.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:57 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
I agree that the Astros won't want Dunn, but they need an upgrade. Brett Wallace has a zero chance of putting up numbers anywhere near Dunn's. Walllace has no power at all.
Yeah, you're right. I saw that Wallace had a better AVG and similar or better OBP, but his OPS still pales in comparison.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:55 PM
WSI Personality

I'm thinking the Astros care only about one number and that is salary.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:57 PM
WSI Personality

Trade Dunn for Altuve. Move Bacon to 3B. Done.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:11 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyWhiSoxFan View Post
If true about Beckham, I think it says a lot about what they think of Sanchez.
Then I think they may be overrating Sanchez.

Bob
Closed Thread