White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 12:02 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Coopaloopa:

Considering the Sox have nothing at this moment in time other than Moreal to try to play the position (they aren't going to re-sign Youk...) it's understandable that some fans might want an update on his back issues.

Lip
My prediction, for better or worse, is that Viciedo will open the season at third.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:37 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
My prediction, for better or worse, is that Viciedo will open the season at third.
That is a downright scary thought.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:50 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:

Is there any actual reason people seem to think this is what the Sox are planning

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 11-14-2012, 02:18 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Is there any actual reason people seem to think this is what the Sox are planning
I don't think that as of November 14, this is what the team is planning or wants. But if Youkilis signs elsewhere (which is certainly a real possibility) and the team isn't able to trade for a third baseman, the options seem to be Morel, Sanchez or Viciedo. Sanchez seems like a reach to be the opening day third baseman. Morel is, well, Morel and if the bottom third of the order is Flowers-Beckham-Morel, God help us all.

I think it is generally easier to trade for or sign a decent leftfielder than third baseman -- especially if that leftfielder is seen as only a temporary fix until the young outfielders in the Sox system (e.g. Thompson, Hawkins, Mitchell) are major league ready.

Rick Hahn has already said he would consider Viciedo at third for next season, so I don't think it's implausible that he might open the season there. No one will ever confuse Viciedo for Brooks Robinson, but the Sox have a long and tortured history of playing people out of position (Hudson at 3B, Beckham at 3B, Swisher in CF, Mackowiak in CF, Ozuna in LF, Valentin in CF, Valentin at 3B, Fisk in LF, Santo at 2B etc.) So that's the basis for my prediction. It's not what I'm hoping for, but it's what I think will happen.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:37 PM
WSI Regular

He's pretty good in MLB The Show '12. In my season he's hitting like .270, 24 HR, 78 RBI with a week to go in the regular season.

Yep...
Old 11-15-2012, 01:42 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I don't think that as of November 14, this is what the team is planning or wants. But if Youkilis signs elsewhere (which is certainly a real possibility) and the team isn't able to trade for a third baseman, the options seem to be Morel, Sanchez or Viciedo. Sanchez seems like a reach to be the opening day third baseman. Morel is, well, Morel and if the bottom third of the order is Flowers-Beckham-Morel, God help us all.

I think it is generally easier to trade for or sign a decent leftfielder than third baseman -- especially if that leftfielder is seen as only a temporary fix until the young outfielders in the Sox system (e.g. Thompson, Hawkins, Mitchell) are major league ready.

Rick Hahn has already said he would consider Viciedo at third for next season, so I don't think it's implausible that he might open the season there. No one will ever confuse Viciedo for Brooks Robinson, but the Sox have a long and tortured history of playing people out of position (Hudson at 3B, Beckham at 3B, Swisher in CF, Mackowiak in CF, Ozuna in LF, Valentin in CF, Valentin at 3B, Fisk in LF, Santo at 2B etc.) So that's the basis for my prediction. It's not what I'm hoping for, but it's what I think will happen.
This is why I say Beckham. It should be relatively easy to find a respectable second baseman...certainly easier (at least for us, historically) than a third baseman.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:51 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
This is why I say Beckham. It should be relatively easy to find a respectable second baseman...certainly easier (at least for us, historically) than a third baseman.
In a perfect world we have a new 3b and a new 2b.... gordon is not a respectable second baseman really, so he is even worse at 3rd...
Old 11-15-2012, 07:37 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
In a perfect world we have a new 3b and a new 2b.... gordon is not a respectable second baseman really, so he is even worse at 3rd...

Disagree with this. Beckham is definitely not a great hitter yet but his defense at second base has been superb. Its the only thing keeping him here.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:34 PM
WSI Guru

Hahn tonight told Gonzo they have basically ruled out Dayan or Dan Johnson playing 3rd base. Looking more and more like the options are either:

* re-signing Youk
* Morel
* trade for 3rd baseman

In no particular order.

Lip
Old 11-15-2012, 11:23 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Acquiring something decent for Beckham needs to go down first, IMO as his value continues to go down and his salary is starting to creep up.

As for a respectable 2B, Jeff Keppinger is a FA, and he made $1.5M last year and $2.3M two years ago, hitting .325/.367/.439 last year for the Rays, though he's considered an average to below average fielder.

Morel shouldn't be an option at 3B until we know his back is relatively healthy.

I also think Floyd may be moved for either a catcher or 3B + prospects.

Guess we have to wait on Youk's decision first...
Old 11-17-2012, 08:32 AM
WSI Church Elder

How expensive would it be to get David Wright out of Gotham?
It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. - A. Bartlett Giamatti
Old 11-17-2012, 10:39 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky F. Dent View Post
How expensive would it be to get David Wright out of Gotham?
Nearly impossible.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

You can never count on a third baseman with a bad back.

The Opening Day third baseman has yet to be acquired.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:51 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Hahn tonight told Gonzo they have basically ruled out Dayan or Dan Johnson playing 3rd base. Looking more and more like the options are either:

* re-signing Youk
* Morel
* trade for 3rd baseman

In no particular order.

Lip
Yes the white sox need to focus on a player with bat of Melton, hands of Crede, clutch of Ventura. Tall order. I am tired of them dinking around with this position ever since Joe C back blew out. Lets find a legitimate franchise player ie Carl Yastrzemski and do what it takes. Also players should be using massage w oil o'wintergreen; stay loose during the season, we got the horses to do this.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:34 PM
WSI Guru

For the first time that I know of, Gonzo reported tonight from the winter meetings that Morel had in fact a bulging disc in his lower back last year and not a "lower back strain" that the Sox were claiming.

As someone who has a bulging disc in the lower back I honestly don't know how they think he can go out there and play every day even with the best training and rehab in the world. You simply can't take that kind of punishment.

Lip