White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-16-2012, 03:12 PM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 26,378
Default Blue Jays sign Melky...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,2549818.story

These guys are spending a lot of money for a 4th place finish aren't they?

Lip
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-16-2012, 05:25 PM
Thome25 Thome25 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Elkton, Maryland
Posts: 4,149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,2549818.story

These guys are spending a lot of money for a 4th place finish aren't they?

Lip
They obviously noticed the rise of a young and talented O's team, the fact that the Red Sawx won't be down for long (especially with the money they cleared and will have to spend), a still very strong Tampa Bay team, and the Yankees being the Yankees every year and don't want to be in the cellar in the AL East.

I applaud the Blue Jays for whay they're trying to do. The AL East will no longer be a two (Yankees VS Red Sawx) and sometimes three (Yankees-Red Sawx-Rays) team race.

On paper, it looks like any one of the teams in the AL East could take that division....and it's about time.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-16-2012, 05:29 PM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 26,378
Default

Thome:

Your point about the Red Sox, I read a story at ESPN.com yesterday which quoted their owner as saying by the start of the season they'll have "one of the highest" payrolls in baseball.

Nothing changes does it?

Lip
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-16-2012, 05:39 PM
palehozenychicty palehozenychicty is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,312
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,2549818.story

These guys are spending a lot of money for a 4th place finish aren't they?

Lip
You really think Baltimore is better than them on paper? You really think the Red Sox will be better than them?

If they stay healthy, they'll be good.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-16-2012, 05:39 PM
Thome25 Thome25 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Elkton, Maryland
Posts: 4,149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Thome:

Your point about the Red Sox, I read a story at ESPN.com yesterday which quoted their owner as saying by the start of the season they'll have "one of the highest" payrolls in baseball.

Nothing changes does it?

Lip
No it doesn't Lip.

That's just one of the reasons (among the others that I listed above) that I believe there's a sudden sense of urgency in Toronto.

For the first time in a long time, I'm actually interested in the AL East race because if you look at where each team is right now, any one of them could take that division.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-16-2012, 05:45 PM
palehozenychicty palehozenychicty is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,312
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Thome:

Your point about the Red Sox, I read a story at ESPN.com yesterday which quoted their owner as saying by the start of the season they'll have "one of the highest" payrolls in baseball.

Nothing changes does it?

Lip

I doubt it. Henry gutted out both the Red Sox and Liverpool payrolls this season. If anything, he's going to sell his shares. It's been whispered around MLB and the Boston media. He's just trying to fire up the fan base. It defies logic for them to gut payrolls in order to exceed their previous limits now.

Plus, payroll is becoming a decreasing measurement of success anyway. You can spend to reach the playoffs, but that's it.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-16-2012, 06:11 PM
DSpivack DSpivack is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Evanston
Posts: 28,961
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehozenychicty View Post
I doubt it. Henry gutted out both the Red Sox and Liverpool payrolls this season. If anything, he's going to sell his shares. It's been whispered around MLB and the Boston media. He's just trying to fire up the fan base. It defies logic for them to gut payrolls in order to exceed their previous limits now.

Plus, payroll is becoming a decreasing measurement of success anyway. You can spend to reach the playoffs, but that's it.
Henry's $2 billion company is now worth $100 million. I doubt he spends big on either of his teams.
__________________
Attendance records:
09 : 3-2.
10 : 2-3.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-16-2012, 06:47 PM
WLL1855 WLL1855 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Peoria, IL
Posts: 606
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thome25 View Post
...
For the first time in a long time, I'm actually interested in the AL East race because if you look at where each team is right now, any one of them could take that division.
I'm with you there. The Yankees are becoming old lions and 'the boss' isn't around any more. It won't be soon until their legacy players walk off into the sunset. I'd love to see that division turn on its head here in the next year or two.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-16-2012, 06:57 PM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 26,378
Default

Pale:

Baltimore is an interesting case and you can make a good argument that the season they just had was about as big a fluke season as you'll ever get...I mean when you win, what was it, 14 consecutive extra inning games, that's as big a fluke as you'll ever find.,..but they do have some talent real solid talent in four or five spots. And it's going to get better.

I can't make that claim about Toronto a lot of guys on the downside of their careers...we'll see though, that's why they play the games.

And the Yankees will always be among the best teams with a high payroll making the playoffs practically every year because the consequences to ownership if they don't will be catastrophic. The fan base simply will not tolerate anything less than 90+ winning seasons and a playoff spot. They simply won't show up otherwise and will be vocal about it, plus the media in New York would destroy ownership and the Steinbrenner family ALL have tremendous ego's.

Lip
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-19-2012, 09:58 PM
palehozenychicty palehozenychicty is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,312
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Pale:

Baltimore is an interesting case and you can make a good argument that the season they just had was about as big a fluke season as you'll ever get...I mean when you win, what was it, 14 consecutive extra inning games, that's as big a fluke as you'll ever find.,..but they do have some talent real solid talent in four or five spots. And it's going to get better.

I can't make that claim about Toronto a lot of guys on the downside of their careers...we'll see though, that's why they play the games.

And the Yankees will always be among the best teams with a high payroll making the playoffs practically every year because the consequences to ownership if they don't will be catastrophic. The fan base simply will not tolerate anything less than 90+ winning seasons and a playoff spot. They simply won't show up otherwise and will be vocal about it, plus the media in New York would destroy ownership and the Steinbrenner family ALL have tremendous ego's.

Lip
The Yankees have the capital to always contend. That we know. But they made the playoffs every year because of Rivera, Pettitte, Jeter, Posada, and Bernie Williams. Those guys were drafted and developed by their system. They added the FA pieces, but that was the backbone. Two of those guys are gone. Two more of them are close to the end. One can never make up his mind.

The media will shout and scream, but time slows everything. They're still the Yankees, but Hal Steinbrenner is looking to cut costs by '14. They have holes in the OF and starting rotation. The IF is really old.

I think Toronto has a lot of good young pitching which got hurt. The new guys are older, but still strong. Reyes and Buehrle makes any team better.

Baltimore has some good talent, but not enough on the mound. They could improve or regress some from last year with the close games. Greinke would be a bold, but necessary move for them as a contender.

It'll be an interesting division.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:02 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.