White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the Sporting News ROTY award, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2012, 10:35 PM
WSI Guru

Default Bill James / Paul Konerko

I'll let those who more closely follow stats explain this one to me. Bill James in his latest book, according to Phil Rogers, says Konerko is the worst defensive first baseman in baseball having cost the Sox 11 runs.

Now I only know what I see and that's the fact that Paul's glove consistently saves runs by his digging out bad throws particularly from Ramirez.

I do agree with James' other contention, that Konerko is the slowest runner in MLB over the last 10 seasons.

Lip
Old 11-17-2012, 10:51 PM
WSI Guru

Zero range?
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:55 PM
WSI Prelate

Konerko has minimal range these days and it is possible that after his concussion this year his defense suffered some but there is no way he is the worst defensive first baseman in baseball. He saves the Sox a ton of runs by digging balls out of the dirt.

I know that there are some in the sabermetric community that believe you don't have to watch a baseball game (Billy Beane was once quoted as saying he would be a better GM if he never watched a game) but defense is really one of those things where you need to watch a guy every day to get a sense of how bad or how good he is. The more you watch Konerko the more you appreciate his defense.

Go Sox!!!
Old 11-17-2012, 11:01 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Konerko has minimal range these days and it is possible that after his concussion this year his defense suffered some but there is no way he is the worst defensive first baseman in baseball. He saves the Sox a ton of runs by digging balls out of the dirt.

I know that there are some in the sabermetric community that believe you don't have to watch a baseball game (Billy Beane was once quoted as saying he would be a better GM if he never watched a game) but defense is really one of those things where you need to watch a guy every day to get a sense of how bad or how good he is. The more you watch Konerko the more you appreciate his defense.
I think a lot of people in the sabermetric community will tell you that defensive stats are rather flawed at this point.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:03 PM
WSI Personality

I call bull**** on this one. This is something great for talk radio hosts but I can't for the life of me think of when Konerko has cost us big time over there. Sure he has a few errors now and then but if they are saying his range is what cost them then I disagree.

Like someone mentioned he has bailed out Alexi on numerous occasions and probably saved us more runs than he's cost us.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:21 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
I do agree with James' other contention, that Konerko is the slowest runner in MLB over the last 10 seasons.

Lip
His pet turtle once escaped from its terrarium. Paulie chased it, but it got away.

He is.......the Slowest Man in the World. He doesn't run much, but when he does, a drunk with a walker outpaces him.

All hail The Rick
Old 11-17-2012, 11:27 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
His pet turtle once escaped from its terrarium. Paulie chased it, but it got away.

He is.......the Slowest Man in the World. He doesn't run much, but when he does, a drunk with a walker outpaces him.
Disagree. Both of the older Molina brothers are timed in the 60 yard dash using a calendar. They both make Paulie look like a speed merchant in comparison.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:09 AM
WSI Church Elder

Has Bill James ever seen Prince Fielder play first base?
Old 11-18-2012, 12:21 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryzner View Post
Has Bill James ever seen Prince Fielder play first base?
It's not like it's his personal opinion, I'm sure it's based on whatever metrics he uses (and defensive metrics are rather flawed, IMHO).
Old 11-18-2012, 12:26 AM
WSI Church Elder

Yes, Konerko digs a lot of balls out of the dirt, but so do most first basemen. He has very little range.

What I've never understood about Konerko's defense is that he never stretches on close plays. I've come to believe that his back must hurt him. That definitely costs us some outs over the long haul.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:34 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleHoser View Post
Disagree. Both of the older Molina brothers are timed in the 60 yard dash using a calendar. They both make Paulie look like a speed merchant in comparison.
This is the most hyperbolic hyperbole I've ever seen.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:35 AM
WSI Personality

Has Bill James watched Adam Dunn play 1st? He doesnt dig balls out of the dirt as well as Konerko does and usually lets Beckham chase any type of popup while he watches.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:03 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

I have never seen anything special about him defensively. Just an average fielder.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:42 AM
WSI Church Elder

I love PK, want him to finish his career in Chicago, and have a statue one day. He digs everything out of the dirt and snags everything hit at him. It is the hits that go past him that, due to lack of range, cost runs as opposed to throws from infielders. Still, I can't see him being the worst defender as long as Fielder is around and it is price well worth paying to have him on our team.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:11 AM
WSI Church Elder

That's crazy. I think the stat people who keep making up things to justify their position must be trying to justify their salaries after the giants this year. To say Paulie is worst first basemen on defense tells me they have ray Charles and Stevie Wonder calculating their stats. What a joke.