White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 06:36 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
Seems like if WAR is actually measuring relative value of a player to a replacement specifically at his position, the relative value would have to be based on the average or median of production at that position, and therefore the net sum of all WARs would be zero or close to it.
The "replacement level player" isn't the average player at his position, since the assumption is that a team doesn't have a league average player just sitting waiting on the bench or in AAA. An average player, of course, is actually quite valuable--he's better than half the league. For that reason, "replacement level" is kind of a fringe bench/AAAA player.

2014: 4-8 plus Fenway and HOF weekend
2013: 4-6 plus St. Louis and Milwaukee
2012: 7-4
2011: 6-4 plus NYC parks and Minnesota
2010: 5-6
2009: 2-4 plus Pittsburgh

"Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled."
--David Foster Wallace, () "Roger Federer as Religious Experience"
Old 11-20-2012, 02:02 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Sorry, I actually wanted to finish my comment and got called into a meeting at work. I wish work would get its priorities straight haha.

Anyway, I played first base through college, and I do agree its a more reactionary position. However, range is huge to that reaction. In the MLB most 1b play at the back of the dirt. The ability to get 2 more steps than a less mobile 1b is often the difference between a double and an out. Furthermore, more agility means more balls get caught when diving. A good example that should be fresh is Derek Lee. He could pick it as good as anyone, but he also could get up and catch a high throw (PK doesn't do that well) and also sucked up anything in his vicinity. PK can stab anything hit directly at him, but Range for a 1b is a very important step or 2 to the right and left, and PK does not do that well.

I would still call that reaction and not range (a quick step or 2). True guys like Teixeira would be better than Paulie with that. However how many times in a year was a double down (that anyone would have a chance at) the line really been a problem? Konerko not only saved many a run with his picks at first, but was great at feeding the pitcher on tough 3-1 put-outs, and maybe the best at turning the 3-6-3 or 1 dp of any right hand throwing 1b.

That being said, DH may be in Paulie's near future.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:17 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephClone89 View Post
They're a work in progress. Anything is an improvement over errors/fielding percentage.
They're not a work in progress, they're total crap. Why does defense need a number? Why does "range" need a number? I love baseball stats as much as the next guy, but the direction saber and "statheads" have gone is just insanity. I'm all for modern technology moving us forward, but there are times when it's overkill and not needed.

"I'm sorry that you don't like our 3-4-5 hitters. Or our closer.

"I'm sorry that you don't like our third baseman and our shortstop. Or our left fielder and our right fielder.

"I'm sorry people feel this way about our club. But I also want you to know something about that:

"We don't care."

-Kenny Williams before start of 2005 season
Old 11-24-2012, 05:09 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephClone89 View Post
The "replacement level player" isn't the average player at his position, since the assumption is that a team doesn't have a league average player just sitting waiting on the bench or in AAA. An average player, of course, is actually quite valuable--he's better than half the league. For that reason, "replacement level" is kind of a fringe bench/AAAA player.
I just don't believe that replacing Konerko with an average fielding player who hits like Eric Hosmer will only cost the Sox 1.4 wins.

Last edited by MISoxfan; 11-24-2012 at 07:55 PM.