White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 11:11 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLL1855 View Post
If Morel could provide this for a season I think I could live with it. The problem is that I'm not sure he's got the potential for it.
I think he can produce that if he's healthy. It's not a matter of potential or talent, it's a matter of health.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:23 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLL1855 View Post
If Morel could provide this for a season I think I could live with it. The problem is that I'm not sure he's got the potential for it.
I don't think he does. I understand people not wanting to bring Youkilis back. Youk is a big injury risk in his own right, and he's asking for a lot of money. But the Sox have got to move on from Brent Morel. He hasn't shown me enough, even when healthy.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 11-23-2012, 03:21 PM
WSI Personality

Default Mark Reynolds

It looks like the Orioles are not going to bring back Mark Reynolds. Is he our third baseman for 2013? He's alot younger and cheaper than Youk. The bad thing is he's very similar to Adam Dunn. Alot of home runs with a low batting average and lots of strikeouts.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:22 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
It looks like the Orioles are not going to bring back Mark Reynolds. Is he our third baseman for 2013? He's alot younger and cheaper than Youk. The bad thing is he's very similar to Adam Dunn. Alot of home runs with a low batting average and lots of strikeouts.
No thanks. He's a god-awful 3rd baseman (Baltimore had to move him to 1st, and he was pretty bad there), and the last thing this lineup needs is another sub .250 hitting 3 outcome player.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:36 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehozenychicty View Post
I agree. Viciedo should be kept around. He'll get better and provide value at a good price point. This is even with arbi raises.

Sometimes you have to lose players in a trade for the greater benefit. You need value to get value.

I'm just wondering what this team wants to do going forward. I think we saw the peak of potential. If they want to get better - they might just want to get more pitching and build toward the future of Sale/Danks/Peavy/X/Quintana.

Rios is possibly at the highest value he'll ever be. Viciedo is young - but replaceable as far as outfielders go. I say move whoever - been sick of this team for a while. The Dunn era is a joke.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:57 PM
WSI Regular

Default So the 2013 Sox have some options.

As of now the only people I can honestly slate in stone into our line up are: A. Ramirez, A. Dunn, and P. Konerko....Everyone else is either undecided (C and 3B) or are in some type to trade talks.

I like our OF of Viciedo-DeAza-Rios, it above avg defensively and seemed to produce enough offensively. But I think we have two guys that can slide into Rios spot saving some salary and be productive.
We have several solid young OFs coming up, Thompson, Mitchell, Danks...but I'm very put off by the # of Ks thompson and mitchell rack up as speed guys.

I think C. Sanchez is our 3B/2B of the near future. Been high on Beckham since 09 but I think for 600,000 you ride him out one more year. Sanchez has NO power at all which is why some say he'll never play 3B, but that's a poor judgement on 3B production.

Catcher is deep also, flowers, phegley, smith...no superstars here though...

Our pitching is set.
danks, floyd, sale, peavy, quintana, santiago, thornton, crain, reed, jones, veal, axelrod.

Which looks pretty solid.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:24 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by balke View Post
Sometimes you have to lose players in a trade for the greater benefit. You need value to get value.

I'm just wondering what this team wants to do going forward. I think we saw the peak of potential. If they want to get better - they might just want to get more pitching and build toward the future of Sale/Danks/Peavy/X/Quintana.

Rios is possibly at the highest value he'll ever be. Viciedo is young - but replaceable as far as outfielders go. I say move whoever - been sick of this team for a while. The Dunn era is a joke.
I am not saying that the White Sox should trade Dayan but I pretty much agree with your sentiment here. If I am Rick Hahn the only guy I wouldn't consider trading is Sale (though if for some reason the Angels wanted to trade Trout for Sale I would do that in heartbeat! )

Go Sox!!!
Old 11-25-2012, 10:06 AM
WSI Prelate

As for trades, Viciedo hit 25 homers as a rookie - everyone knows his weak points (Ks, low OBP) but he was a rookie. We really want to dump him? Beckham doesn't hit, but he can field...we want to dump him (for peanuts), but bring Morel to 3rd? (we can move him to third). If we can spend some money for serious upgrades, then great. But selling low is a fools-game.
De Aza or Rios - I'm okay with selling high - just make sure we do it. No zeroing in on a team's #6 prospect off of a bad year like we did last year with Quentin and Santos.
But if we can't, find maybe one starter upgrade, and continue to improve the pen.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:42 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
I am not saying that the White Sox should trade Dayan but I pretty much agree with your sentiment here. If I am Rick Hahn the only guy I wouldn't consider trading is Sale (though if for some reason the Angels wanted to trade Trout for Sale I would do that in heartbeat! )
The problem is the FA market for OFs is pretty deep. Why would I trade something good when I can get a deal?
Old 11-25-2012, 11:49 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg83 View Post
The problem is the FA market for OFs is pretty deep. Why would I trade something good when I can get a deal?
Fair point. The only reason to deal someone like Dayan Viciedo for an outfielder would be to acquire a young superstar. I think the Sox, like most teams, would consider dealing Viciedo as part of a package to get Giancarlo Stanton, Mike Trout or Bryce Harper. Trout or Harper are, no doubt, going nowhere but maybe Stanton is.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:53 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
As for trades, Viciedo hit 25 homers as a rookie - everyone knows his weak points (Ks, low OBP) but he was a rookie. We really want to dump him? Beckham doesn't hit, but he can field...we want to dump him (for peanuts), but bring Morel to 3rd? (we can move him to third). If we can spend some money for serious upgrades, then great. But selling low is a fools-game.
De Aza or Rios - I'm okay with selling high - just make sure we do it. No zeroing in on a team's #6 prospect off of a bad year like we did last year with Quentin and Santos.
But if we can't, find maybe one starter upgrade, and continue to improve the pen.
i'd like to see bacon get another shot at 3rd also.............
Old 11-25-2012, 05:08 PM
WSI Personality

3rd base tends to be a power position. Why would you move Beckham there when he is struggling offensively now. I think finding a 2nd baseman with some power would be harder than finding a 3rd baseman.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:21 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
3rd base tends to be a power position. Why would you move Beckham there when he is struggling offensively now. I think finding a 2nd baseman with some power would be harder than finding a 3rd baseman.
Or the Sox could move that Sanchez kid over to 2B and put Beckham at 3B. I mean, I think the Sox are looking at internal options at this point and there aren't many.

2014 PtC Score: 1
Old 11-25-2012, 06:19 PM
WSI Prelate

Beckham will never be a Schmidt, A-Rod or even a Ventura, but if he ever gets rid of the hitch in his swing, he might be able to peak at the power of Joe Crede and thus be serviceable at the hot corner. That's not the worst thing in the world if the Sox can develop Sanchez into the switch-hitting, high contact, .280+ from both sides of the plate, speedy middle infielder who can hit second for the next decade.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:25 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
3rd base tends to be a power position.

I have always disagreed with this line of thinking, and I always will. I want a guy that can catch the damn ball and get it to first base accurately.