White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #211  
Old 11-27-2012, 08:28 PM
WhiteSoxNation WhiteSoxNation is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: S.S. Chicago
Posts: 142
Default

Folks, Beckham is an average 2B man, who hits .240/15/60 in FULL seasons

He hit 16 bombs last year, decent pop for 2B. But he doesnt run well, doesnt get on base.

He's a nice 8-9 hitter in the AL at a postion where most other 2B man are near the bottom of the order anyway.

I say lets ride him out another year.

Also-
Leave Tank in the OF he's a solid outfielder who teams don't dare to run on.
Spend the $, move the pieces, go get us a 3B
__________________
"C'mon Timo!"
World series Champs 99-63 (11-1) GO GO White Sox
  #212  
Old 11-27-2012, 08:34 PM
soxfanreggie soxfanreggie is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Normal, IL/Sarasota, FL
Posts: 10,034
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSoxNation View Post
Viciedo is a good LF/RF

Beckham was actually a better 3B than he was 2B.

If Beckham can play great 3B, Hit .270/15/70 that's fine for me at 3B.

LF- Viciedo
SS- Ramirez
1B- Konerko
DH- Dunn
2B/3B- Beckham
2B/3B- Sanchez
CF- DeAza
I'll take into next year......move rios, get a catcher. Napoli would be nice.
I've been on us to get after a catcher for years. If we lose AJ, please go get a good catcher! Even if we keep him, let's plan for the future!
__________________
  #213  
Old 11-28-2012, 09:03 AM
russ99 russ99 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 11,642
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSoxNation View Post
Folks, Beckham is an average 2B man, who hits .240/15/60 in FULL seasons

He hit 16 bombs last year, decent pop for 2B. But he doesnt run well, doesnt get on base.

He's a nice 8-9 hitter in the AL at a postion where most other 2B man are near the bottom of the order anyway.

I say lets ride him out another year.

Also-
Leave Tank in the OF he's a solid outfielder who teams don't dare to run on.
Spend the $, move the pieces, go get us a 3B
I don't question that both Beckham and Viciedo could be placeholders for another year, and could improve in 2013. But there's two reasons why the Sox could think about moving them this offseason:

1) Improving the offense is going to be tough to do at other positions - Dunn, Konerko and Rios are pretty much locks to be here next year. De Aza has leadoff set, so where else can you add an improved bat?

The Sox have Morel and Flowers as a contingency at 3B and C and that would weaken the offense, not improve it. While I'd love to have A.J. and/or Youk back, those guys are getting older and starting to regress, so it would be status quo and just kick the holes in those positions down the road another year.

2) Both are increasing in salary. Beckham hits arbitration this year, and Viciedo is already at $2.75M with his bonus factored in and Boras will be looking for a bump in 2013. Teams won't buy into trading for their potential later on if the price tags get too much higher. It may be hard for Hahn to pass up a deal that gets us younger, cheaper and/or higher ceiling players back.
  #214  
Old 11-28-2012, 01:34 PM
russ99 russ99 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 11,642
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Don't look now, but Chone Figgins just got released by the Mariners.

We need a 3B and Kenny loves reclamation projects and does usually end up with his "guys".

He'd fit right in with our crew of sub .240 hitters.


  #215  
Old 11-28-2012, 01:52 PM
SoxSpeed22 SoxSpeed22 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,750
Default

Figgins can't really hit anymore, but at least he can play multiple positions to give our guys some rest in the summer.
__________________
  #216  
Old 11-28-2012, 02:25 PM
Foulke You Foulke You is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 9,075
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Don't look now, but Chone Figgins just got released by the Mariners.

We need a 3B and Kenny loves reclamation projects and does usually end up with his "guys".

He'd fit right in with our crew of sub .240 hitters.


I don't follow the Mariners that closely but I know that the Figgins contract was a huge bust considering he was a really valuable player on the Angels. The M's certainly "bought high" on Figgins but overall, he was a really solid player in his career with LAA. Did he just pick up some bad habits in Seattle? Did he just age quicker than others and lose a step? Did he develop a mental issue like Adam Dunn in 2011? I'd like to hear from a WSI poster who can offer more insight on his fall. Inviting Figgins to Spring Training certainly wouldn't excite me as a fan but sometimes the Sox have success with reclamation projects. Hopefully, that is not Hahn's "plan A" for 3B.
__________________
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
  #217  
Old 11-28-2012, 08:58 PM
WhiteSoxNation WhiteSoxNation is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: S.S. Chicago
Posts: 142
Default

Figgins is not good. he's going on 35, coming off 2 horrid seasons at a big price tag.

I cant see the sox making a big splash at any of the remaining "good" FAs

I'd like Victorino or Bourn to give us a very good leadoff hitter but we have no room for them.

Not big on Napoli.

Swisher would be nice, but again, no where to play......We need 3B/C, Hahn has to be cooking up a trade involving one of our 6 starters right?

Chase Headley/D. Wright are ringing in my ears
  #218  
Old 11-28-2012, 09:22 PM
shingo10 shingo10 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 821
Default

Come on Hahn throw us a bone...something, anything. I'd even settle for a rumor right now.
  #219  
Old 11-28-2012, 10:57 PM
RCWHITESOX's Avatar
RCWHITESOX RCWHITESOX is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Placentia, California
Posts: 990
Icon15

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSoxNation View Post
Figgins is not good. he's going on 35, coming off 2 horrid seasons at a big price tag.

I cant see the sox making a big splash at any of the remaining "good" FAs

I'd like Victorino or Bourn to give us a very good leadoff hitter but we have no room for them.

Not big on Napoli.

Swisher would be nice, but again, no where to play......We need 3B/C, Hahn has to be cooking up a trade involving one of our 6 starters right?

Chase Headley/D. Wright are ringing in my ears
You have to be kidding. We can't find room for either Bourn or Victorino. Believe me the Sox can find room.
  #220  
Old 11-29-2012, 11:07 AM
PorkChopExpress PorkChopExpress is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 905
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSoxNation View Post
Figgins is not good. he's going on 35, coming off 2 horrid seasons at a big price tag.

I cant see the sox making a big splash at any of the remaining "good" FAs

I'd like Victorino or Bourn to give us a very good leadoff hitter but we have no room for them.

Not big on Napoli.

Swisher would be nice, but again, no where to play......We need 3B/C, Hahn has to be cooking up a trade involving one of our 6 starters right?

Chase Headley/D. Wright are ringing in my ears
We've got room. Just Move Viciedo back to 3B, and DeAza to LF (since he said he likes that position better than CF anyway). Yes, I know the general consensus is that Viciedo is not a good defensive 3B, and some here probably consider him the worst of all time, but in reality, he is probably just sub-par. Personally, I'll take that, if it helps the Sox get other pieces that will make the offensive machine work better. I'm still of the firm belief that it was the offense that killed us last year. Just out of curiosity, any of you stats guys out there have any idea how the Sox offense ranked in total number of 1-2-3 innings?
  #221  
Old 11-29-2012, 12:18 PM
russ99 russ99 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 11,642
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkChopExpress View Post
We've got room. Just Move Viciedo back to 3B, and DeAza to LF (since he said he likes that position better than CF anyway). Yes, I know the general consensus is that Viciedo is not a good defensive 3B, and some here probably consider him the worst of all time, but in reality, he is probably just sub-par. Personally, I'll take that, if it helps the Sox get other pieces that will make the offensive machine work better. I'm still of the firm belief that it was the offense that killed us last year. Just out of curiosity, any of you stats guys out there have any idea how the Sox offense ranked in total number of 1-2-3 innings?
Remember when Carlos Lee played 3B? Viciedo at 3B would be like that. Subpar is putting it lightly. His bat (other than power) is still below average to average, it's not like we're hiding an all-star at that position like Miguel Cabrera. Bad idea.

If Youk or a trade for Headley doensn't work, there are also some lower cost FA options for 3B like Keppinger and Polanco who are good contact hitters and decent defensive players.
  #222  
Old 11-29-2012, 12:45 PM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 53,935
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Remember when Carlos Lee played 3B? Viciedo at 3B would be like that. Subpar is putting it lightly. His bat (other than power) is still below average to average, it's not like we're hiding an all-star at that position like Miguel Cabrera. Bad idea.

If Youk or a trade for Headley doensn't work, there are also some lower cost FA options for 3B like Keppinger and Polanco who are good contact hitters and decent defensive players.
Carlos Lee has yet to play an inning of 3B at the MLB level so... no.

That said, I see no reason to move Viciedo, who has settled in as a competent defensive LF. The guy's been bounced around his entire minor league career, hopefully some stability in the field will help increase his production at the plate.

At any rate, I agree it is patently ridiculous to say the Sox have no space for a Bourn or Victorino type player. This is a team with Dewayne Wise as it's #4 OF. There's plenty of space.
__________________
2014 Obligatory Attendance & Record Tracker

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
  #223  
Old 11-29-2012, 01:26 PM
CWSpalehoseCWS CWSpalehoseCWS is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lombard, IL
Posts: 1,563
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
Come on Hahn throw us a bone...something, anything. I'd even settle for a rumor right now.
Ask and you shall receive!

Quote:
JIM BOWDEN ‏@JimBowdenESPNxm
Rangers, Red Sox, White Sox, Angels are all "playing" on Mike Adams
__________________
2008 Attendance Record: 16-3
2008 ALDS Attendance Record: 1-0
2009 Attendance Record: 9-5
2010 ST Attendance Record: 1-0-1
2010 Attendance Record: 10-3
2011 Attendance Record: 4-6
2012 Attendance Record: 2-1
  #224  
Old 11-29-2012, 02:54 PM
DonnieDarko DonnieDarko is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Northwest Side, 60626
Posts: 1,913
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSpalehoseCWS View Post
Ask and you shall receive!
...an RHP? C'mon, what this team needs is a damned Catcher and 3B.
__________________

2014 PtC Score: 1
  #225  
Old 11-29-2012, 03:24 PM
Domeshot17 Domeshot17 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minooka
Posts: 9,503
Default

What this team NEEDS is Jeff Keppinger. We need a high average guy who can keep the lineup moving.

De Aza
Keppinger
Rios
PK
Dunn
Tank
Flowers
Ramirez
Gordon

That is a pretty solid lineup right there
__________________
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:39 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.