White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the Sporting News ROTY award, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 12-03-2012, 02:59 PM
TheVulture TheVulture is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,135
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieDarko View Post
Maybe I read what you posted wrong, but from my limited understanding of anatomy, you can't really "strengthen" ligaments.
I think you read it wrong, he said the muscles attached to the ligaments need to be strengthened.

Personally, I think signing Sale to a long term deal would be too risky at this point. I would give him two more years and then think about it.
__________________
A bad idea is better than no idea at all- Hawk
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 12-03-2012, 03:04 PM
DonnieDarko DonnieDarko is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Northwest Side, 60626
Posts: 1,921
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
I think you read it wrong, he said the muscles attached to the ligaments need to be strengthened.

Personally, I think signing Sale to a long term deal would be too risky at this point. I would give him two more years and then think about it.
Indeed I did read it wrong. Whoops.

And I wouldn't say 2 years, really. Hell, in my opinion, if he can do what he did last year or better in 2013...I'd say lock his skinny ass up as soon as possible. Doubly so if he goes so far as to win the Cy Young.
__________________

2014 PtC Score: 1
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 12-03-2012, 03:05 PM
blandman blandman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
I think you read it wrong, he said the muscles attached to the ligaments need to be strengthened.

Personally, I think signing Sale to a long term deal would be too risky at this point. I would give him two more years and then think about it.
Yeah, but it's still confusing. Someone rail thin can't significantly strengthen the muscles around ligaments like the original poster is implying unless you add a significant amount of weight (which is what RJ did). Think about it. Being tiny but as cut as possible isn't going to do you much good with that violent a motion, the muscles can only get so strong without mass.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 12-04-2012, 06:28 PM
Falstaff Falstaff is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 295
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Yeah, but it's still confusing. Someone rail thin can't significantly strengthen the muscles around ligaments like the original poster is implying unless you add a significant amount of weight (which is what RJ did). Think about it. Being tiny but as cut as possible isn't going to do you much good with that violent a motion, the muscles can only get so strong without mass.
Hi. Muscles attach to tendons. Ask Roger Clemons what happens when you make the muscles stronger faster than the tendons (as with PEDS). Remeber 2005? He blew out leg tendon for this reason.

Ligaments attach one bone to the other at joints. They take hella strain too.

Best plan would be for Sale to use liberal Ben-Gay or Oil O'Wintergreen and get the juices pumping before each start. And work on the off-speedo junk, like forkball, knuckle-curve, sloshball to gain command of low speed low stress ways to get hitters out. When you try to throw 97mph all the time, it gets to be more like 91.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 12-04-2012, 08:17 PM
Mr. Jinx Mr. Jinx is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
Hi. Muscles attach to tendons. Ask Roger Clemons what happens when you make the muscles stronger faster than the tendons (as with PEDS). Remeber 2005? He blew out leg tendon for this reason.

Ligaments attach one bone to the other at joints. They take hella strain too.

Best plan would be for Sale to use liberal Ben-Gay or Oil O'Wintergreen and get the juices pumping before each start. And work on the off-speedo junk, like forkball, knuckle-curve, sloshball to gain command of low speed low stress ways to get hitters out. When you try to throw 97mph all the time, it gets to be more like 91.
Sale is also only 23 and still growing. I would think trying to put on a few pounds and strengthen himself is a better course than learning junkballs at this point.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 12-04-2012, 08:34 PM
CoopaLoop CoopaLoop is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Des Plaines
Posts: 1,898
Default

Is there any precedent for this type of deal with pitchers?
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 12-04-2012, 11:58 PM
Nellie_Fox's Avatar
Nellie_Fox Nellie_Fox is offline
Official Professor
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: North Mankato, MN
Posts: 16,285
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
And work on the off-speedo junk, like forkball, knuckle-curve, sloshball to gain command of low speed low stress ways to get hitters out. When you try to throw 97mph all the time, it gets to be more like 91.
I'm under the impression that the forkball/split finger is VERY hard on the elbow.
__________________

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:45 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.