White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2012, 09:52 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
If the Sox use Wise as a real backup, 25th man on the roster type, it will be the first time.
Because, so far, he plays, and when he starts, the Sox give him the most at bats in the lineup.
Not everyone has a bad bench...the Sox do. Not a good start to improving it. Hopefully, the sign 3 guys for the bench who are better than him. Because if we don't, we won't improve.
Exactly. I don't hate Dewayne Wise the 25th man. I hate the Dewayne Wise who actually plays.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:05 PM
WSI Church Elder

Wise has speed, defensive ability and some pop. If he put up a respectable OBP as well, he'd be a starting player in the major leagues. Signed at 700k, he could be released if need be. I don't see what the big deal is, he's a solid bench guy. I wouldn't want him to be the #1 bat off the bench, though, hopefully the Sox can pick up a solid bat as well.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:15 PM
WSI High Priest

I don't mind it if it is for depth. I mind it, like everyone else, if we are talking 300 at bats where he is hitting in the top 5 in the lineup.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:09 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
I don't mind it if it is for depth. I mind it, like everyone else, if we are talking 300 at bats where he is hitting in the top 5 in the lineup.
Best No. 3 hitter ever!

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 12-03-2012, 06:22 PM
WSI Personality

Maybe Wise can play 3rd.................................
Old 12-03-2012, 06:23 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
Wise has speed, defensive ability and some pop. If he put up a respectable OBP as well, he'd be a starting player in the major leagues.
In c. 1100 ML plate appearances, he has 30 homers and an OBP of .264. What makes you think he's starter quality? (and when he did start for the Sox in 2009 as the lead-off hitter, oh, well you remember how that went).
Old 12-03-2012, 08:42 PM
WSI Regular

I saw the Red Sox non tendered Ryan Sweeney, would have been a better choice for a lefty 4th outfielder in my opinion; he still may have some upside and is a good outfielder who can play all three positions. Too late...
Old 12-03-2012, 08:46 PM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
In c. 1100 ML plate appearances, he has 30 homers and an OBP of .264. What makes you think he's starter quality? (and when he did start for the Sox in 2009 as the lead-off hitter, oh, well you remember how that went).
You did read the entire post, didn't you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
Wise has speed, defensive ability and some pop. If he put up a respectable OBP as well, he'd be a starting player in the major leagues. Signed at 700k, he could be released if need be. I don't see what the big deal is, he's a solid bench guy.I wouldn't want him to be the #1 bat off the bench, though, hopefully the Sox can pick up a solid bat as well.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives- Jackie Robinson

www.twitter.com/Spawn_03
Old 12-04-2012, 05:56 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn View Post
You did read the entire post, didn't you?
I read it. I'm looking for reasons to think there is any chance he puts up a respectable OBP. And with 30 homers in 1100 at bats, your OBP needs to be more than respectable.

Ryan Sweeney is injury-prone and has little power. He's been a bust, really. I'd look at Shierholz as 4th OF. But we already have one, so that's that.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:29 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I read it. I'm looking for reasons to think there is any chance he puts up a respectable OBP. And with 30 homers in 1100 at bats, your OBP needs to be more than respectable.

Ryan Sweeney is injury-prone and has little power. He's been a bust, really. I'd look at Shierholz as 4th OF. But we already have one, so that's that.
Yeah, that works out to 15 homeruns a year. Considering he stole 19 bases in limited duty last year, I'd say 30+ stolen bases is not out of the question. You don't think a guy who plays plus defense at CF along with say a .340 OBP and those numbers wouldn't be starting? Tampa, for example, just won ninety games with two OFers who put up worse numbers than that. Obviously, nothing indicates Wise would put up a .340 OBP, but maybe you should review the meaning of "if". For example, if I were just struck by lightning, I'd be dead, but I'm still alive. According to your analysis, I should be dead anyway if my premise were true.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:38 PM
WSI Personality

In defense of Wise, his OBP vs RH pitchers was .322 last year with a wOBA of .337. As long as he only plays against RH pitchers, this is a fine pick-up. A .322 OBP for a bench player is decent. The problem is that he had 68 PA against left-handers last year, and only posted a .221 OBP vs lefties. Hopefully, the Sox carry 5 outfielders and the other back-up is right handed.