White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2012, 04:32 PM
WSI Personality

I also went, and was also dissapointed. I've been going to the clubhouse sale for the past 3 years, and this was by far the least organized one yet. Also, as has been stated earlier, the amount of items was also dissapointing. At least Grandstand had a pretty good sale going on, 25% off your total purchase, so I picked up a few good items there.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:33 PM
WSI Church Elder

It wasn't really a holiday sale. It was a leftover sale in the worst possible way.

The game-used stuff in the home clubhouse was junk -- game-issued jerseys never worn that were priced as if they were. Bats best for firewood. Autographed balls with smudged signatures on balls with huge stickers on them.

The assorted items in the visitors clubhouse were limited. Plenty of Buehrle and Ramirez bobbleheads for $20 apiece. A few Fisk statues for $25 that were gobbled up quickly. Game-used baseballs for $10 or three for $25. Yo-yos, bracelets, Buehrle perfect game and Fisk collectible pictures on a $1 table. Bowling shirts for $25, aprons for $10 and chest-protector backpacks for $10. I think the ever-present mystery bags were $20.

The various sales the Sox have over the course of the season really vary from sale to sale and year to year. You never know how each one is going to be until you show up. Last year's holiday sale was a collecting bonanza in both clubhouses. This year's was pretty worthless. I guess you win some and lose some.

The crowd was surprisingly large. The line was still very long outside the park when I left a little after 11 a.m. The clubhouses aren't big to begin with and they were cramped with all the people in them. The checkout line in the visitors clubhouse moved extemely slowly with only one cash and one credit checkout worker. For that reason, the line to enter the clubhouse moved at a snail's pace. The sale should be run much better.

On a pathetic note, a couple wack jobs toward the front of the line ran past everyone to the game-used items when fans were let inside the park. One college-aged clown did so for the second-straight sale. He was later spotted in the visitors clubhouse disrespecting the line again and acting like a bull in a china shop, at one point ignoring a woman in a wheel chair as he moved through her to snare some items on a table. One woman just positioned herself near the front of the line outside the park, had two or three people join her minutes before we were let inside, and then ran past everyone. What kind of people act like this? Sad to say, it's time for the Sox to station a security guard or two outside these sales to uphold the integrity of the line. Line order should also be preserved on the way inside.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:39 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
On a pathetic note, a couple wack jobs toward the front of the line ran past everyone to the game-used items when fans were let inside the park. One college-aged clown did so for the second-straight sale. He was later spotted in the visitors clubhouse disrespecting the line again and acting like a bull in a china shop, at one point ignoring a woman in a wheel chair as he moved through her to snare some items on a table. One woman just positioned herself near the front of the line outside the park, had two or three people join her minutes before we were let inside, and then ran past everyone. What kind of people act like this? Sad to say, it's time for the Sox to station a security guard or two outside these sales to uphold the integrity of the line. Line order should also be preserved on the way inside.
There is/was a WSI poster whose signature included a quote that was something like "people are bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling." I say it to myself all the time because it really is true!
Old 12-02-2012, 10:54 AM
WSI Regular

At the risk of piling on I also thought the holiday sales was a huge disappointment. I got there an hour early so I was part of the first group in the jerseys / bats clubhouse and there was nothing to be had. I did find an Addison Reed warmup jersey but thats all I bought . I thought about going to the other clubhouse but the line was extremely long.

The Sox had a tremendous turnout, probably the largest sale turnout ever. And from all of the comments I heard on Saturday most left extremely disppointed.

The Sports Depot had 25% off of everything which brings the prices closer to retail, I did pick up a few things there. With a purchase you could bring your receipt for a free appetizer at Bacardi. When I got to Bacardi about 11am the bartender was quickly overwhelmed. He kept saying "why dont the tell us when they are going to do something like this?"- he apparently was not expecting all of these customers. They added a second waiter but service was very slow. Again, people left disappointed and the Sox miss another opportunity to showcase their facilities

Just poor execution
Old 12-02-2012, 11:12 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
It wasn't really a holiday sale. It was a leftover sale in the worst possible way.

The game-used stuff in the home clubhouse was junk -- game-issued jerseys never worn that were priced as if they were. Bats best for firewood. Autographed balls with smudged signatures on balls with huge stickers on them.

The assorted items in the visitors clubhouse were limited. Plenty of Buehrle and Ramirez bobbleheads for $20 apiece. A few Fisk statues for $25 that were gobbled up quickly. Game-used baseballs for $10 or three for $25. Yo-yos, bracelets, Buehrle perfect game and Fisk collectible pictures on a $1 table. Bowling shirts for $25, aprons for $10 and chest-protector backpacks for $10. I think the ever-present mystery bags were $20.

The various sales the Sox have over the course of the season really vary from sale to sale and year to year. You never know how each one is going to be until you show up. Last year's holiday sale was a collecting bonanza in both clubhouses. This year's was pretty worthless. I guess you win some and lose some.

The crowd was surprisingly large. The line was still very long outside the park when I left a little after 11 a.m. The clubhouses aren't big to begin with and they were cramped with all the people in them. The checkout line in the visitors clubhouse moved extemely slowly with only one cash and one credit checkout worker. For that reason, the line to enter the clubhouse moved at a snail's pace. The sale should be run much better.

This is what gets me mad. These were all giveaways that were provided to the Sox by a sponsor for free and the Sox are turning around and selling them. I guarantee that there were fans who went to those games and did not get the giveaway because they were "out" but now they mysteriously appear at the sale. How about just giving out the "extra" kids chest protector backpacks to the kids at the next game? It would make a kid extremely happy to get a giveaway when they were not expecting it. Instead, the Sox just want to make a buck.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:19 PM
WSI Regular

The two prior years were so much better in regard to selection. I enjoyed visiting with Kittle and getting our photo taken with him, but the sale lacked variety.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

I don't see how Bacardi could have been surprised by the extra business. It was promoting the holiday sale and its discounted appetizers on social media for the past week.

The Sox do a tremendous job with their charity. It's hard to fault them in this area. However, the prices for some items are just too much for a fan sale like this. After driving to the park and waiting in line, I think it's reasonable to expect some kind of deal on pricing. You can find a Fisk statue cheaper on eBay than the $25 price at the sale. Bobbleheads for $20 apiece weren't exactly a deal either. Even the chest-protector backpacks at $10 apiece I found to be a bit much for what they are. Many, if not most, autographed balls were smudged and, with big ID/price stickers on them, were pretty worthless. Yet they were priced higher than market value even if they were in perfect condition.

What's worse are the "game-issued" jerseys being sold at "game-used" prices. The Sox have never really distinguished the difference between the two. It's fine if you know how to tell the difference, but many fans don't. I feel sorry for someone who enthusiastically buys a Buehrle or Vizquel jersey for $1,000 and then tries to sell the jersey down the line and finds the jersey is only worth maybe $200 because it's only game-issued.

I'm not sure why so many people turned out for this sale. Perhaps the effects of social media? In any case, I doubt many will return next year after yesterday's experience.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:14 PM
WSI Church Elder

I have to echo everything said here. I spent maybe 15 minutes looking around and took off. I did go over to Grandstand and bought a few things there.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:10 AM
WSI Regular

Agree also. Nothing worth purchasing and spent 10 minutes there. Went to Grandstand instead also..
Old 12-03-2012, 09:28 AM
2008 WSI Pick 'Em Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxFann View Post
Agreed that this year's sale was very disappointing and I was extremely surprised at how large the line was this morning. Past clubhouse sales were less crowded and had better variety of merchandise by far. My guess is they want you to go to the Sports Depot across the street to buy current player merchandise rather than just leave shirts and stuff in their lockers.

Baccardi's was very understaffed today too. I tried it for the first time and the food was very good, but they only had two people working the bar and table area when I went in. I felt bad for the guy and gave him a good tip since they were doing their best.
I hang at Bacardi when I can and the staffing can be a problem. They usually don't get that many customers so they staff the bar the way the Sox staff a weekday afternoon game. They should have at least expected a larger crowd for this day. Great place otherwise IMO.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:00 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedema View Post
This is what gets me mad. These were all giveaways that were provided to the Sox by a sponsor for free and the Sox are turning around and selling them. I guarantee that there were fans who went to those games and did not get the giveaway because they were "out" but now they mysteriously appear at the sale. How about just giving out the "extra" kids chest protector backpacks to the kids at the next game? It would make a kid extremely happy to get a giveaway when they were not expecting it. Instead, the Sox just want to make a buck.
The sponsor provides the amount that was given out at the game. The Sox buy some for themselves, I would think that a 20k giveaway, the Sox buy at least another 10k if not 20k. They send out all the promotions to season ticket holders at the end of the season too. This is also for charity, not the Sox, so we aren't padding the wallets of Jerry and Co.

The Sox are awful at running promos. Why give away stuff at games that people are gonna go to anyways? Which is why you run the promo, to get people at the game.

This sale was awful compared to the one in the summer. They jacked the prices from the summer sale, and the selection was pretty bad. I collect bobbles much like everyone, was hoping to see some Peavy ones.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:44 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerko View Post
I hang at Bacardi when I can and the staffing can be a problem. They usually don't get that many customers so they staff the bar the way the Sox staff a weekday afternoon game. They should have at least expected a larger crowd for this day. Great place otherwise IMO.
Do they alter their pricing accordingly for the off-season. Have contemplated going down there for a Bears game since the crowds are probably sparser than up north and it's pretty accessible by the CTA, but the $6 for a Miller Lite draft in a plastic cup that was a deal on a Sox gameday would be a real turn-off now.

Last edited by doublem23; 12-04-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:36 PM
2008 WSI Pick 'Em Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Do they alter their pricing accordingly for the off-season. Have contemplated going down there for a Bears game since the crowds are probably sparser than up north and it's pretty accessible by the CTA, but the $6 for a Miller Lite draft in a plastic cup that was a deal on a Sox gameday would be a real turn-off now.

Most beers are between 4 and 6 dollars IIRC. They also have a "bucket" which is 5 beers for 15 bucks. Some "bacardi" drinks are 5 bucks, parking is free. Here is the menu. Tall (16 oz) Millers were 4 bucks.

http://www.scribd.com/embeds/104324074/content
Old 12-04-2012, 02:13 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerko View Post
Most beers are between 4 and 6 dollars IIRC. They also have a "bucket" which is 5 beers for 15 bucks. Some "bacardi" drinks are 5 bucks, parking is free. Here is the menu. Tall (16 oz) Millers were 4 bucks.

http://www.scribd.com/embeds/104324074/content
Pretty nice. $3 Big Hurt cans?

Old 12-05-2012, 06:01 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkZ35 View Post
What an overall terrible experience. I've gone to this sale just about every year so far and today was horrible. Disorganized and horrible selection. It turned into a free for all around 11 when they decided to let everyone inside.
This. Christine O'Reilly had the idea of letting everyone in from the cold at 11am. That is all fine and good, but prior to that, you had to go through the visitor's clubhouse before entering the home clubhouse. So after waiting outside for over an hour, and was about to get into the visitor's clubhouse, they let people in behind us. Of course, they could go straight to the home clubhouse that had no line. So after sifting through nothing in the visitor's clubhouse, we had to wait another hour to get into the home clubhouse. Extremely disappointing unless you wanted a Lance Broadway autographed baseball for $20.