White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 12:51 PM
WSI High Priest

0% chance that he is worse than Brent Morel.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 12-05-2012, 01:06 PM
WSI Church Elder

I'm not a big fan of signing a 33 year old mediocre player to a 3 year deal. At least Teahen had upside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 12-05-2012, 01:11 PM
WSI Personality

Not a bad deal.

Look what Angel Pagan just got from the Giants.

"I give you five minutes when we get there. Anything happens in that five minutes and I'm yours. No matter what. Anything a minute on either side of that and you're on your own. I don't sit in while you're running it down. I don't carry a gun. I drive."
Old 12-05-2012, 01:12 PM
WSI High Priest

I think they had no choice.

One, Keppinger should be a solid #2 hitter. I think that will really help this team.

Two, it looks obvious that Youkilis will get either a year for $10-12 million, or two-years for $20+ million. No way is that a good signing for us.

Three, the chances of acquiring anyone either at or between Keppinger and Youkilis skill set without spending a lot or giving up a ton was remote.

Four, he will have maybe a third of the K's Morel, Hudson, and Youkilis totaled, meaning a more versatile batter in that spot.

And lastly, defensively he is better than Youkilis by far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai_sox View Post
Not a bad deal.

Yes, just a year after he was nearly non-tendered.

'We drafted him... He achieved greatness here... A 2-time MVP, and one of the BEST hitters in MLB history... And soon he will wear a White Sox uniform again... On his Hall of Fame plaque. He's #35, Frank Thomas!
Old 12-05-2012, 01:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai_sox View Post
Not a bad deal.

I'm not a fan of that deal either

Both of these guys were extremely late bloomers. While it doesn't always follow, most late bloomers tend to fall off a cliff really early.

I like Keppinger. I don't like the deal. Even if it was our best option.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:22 PM
WSI High Priest

Desperate times calls for desperate measures. Youk was not a solution and wouldnt be had, Morel will be playing a harp soon, Sanchez isnt ready and may never be ready, Viciedo would be a carnival show at 3rd, so 3yrs at 4m each is what had to be done.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:26 PM
WSI High Priest

Awesome pickup. I've been calling for this guy to fill the 3B hole since before FA started, and I've been a fan of Keppinger since he's been with the Astros.

Perfect #2 bat for our lineup, especially considering the cost and experience issues with other options. Plus $4M for a good contact hitter isn't an exhorbitant number.

Sounds like we beat out both the Cubs and Yanks for his services. Well done Mr. Hahn. Now about that catching issue.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
I'm not a big fan of signing a 33 year old mediocre player to a 3 year deal. At least Teahen had upside.
Comparing this signing to Teahen is beyond ludicrous.

We just solved the 3B situation by signing a guy who hits for average and gets on base. Which is what this team needs.

Give me a break.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:31 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxGal85 View Post
I think I like this move.

That says it all..!!
Old 12-05-2012, 01:32 PM
WSI Church Elder

Given our situation and the fact that a boffo, blockbuster option is not a reasonable possibility, I find Keppinger a very sound solution--me likee. Certainly beats the prospect of having Morel or a disintegrating Youk there all year.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:34 PM
WSI Personality

The third year at age 35 scares me a bit.

On the upside, with the stick he looks like the anti-Dunn. Total of 173 K's in over 2700 PA's in his career.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:34 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Sounds like we beat out both the Cubs and Yanks for his services. Well done Mr. Hahn. Now about that catching issue.

My guess is the 3rd year is what did it since I read a lot about 2 yr deals for Keppinger. I like the signing and 4 mil really isn't that bad compared to the alternatives.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:46 PM
WSI Regular

I like the deal, gives us help at 3B immediately with a guy who rarely strikes out and has decent OBP. I didnt want to pay Youk the money it likes like he will receive, it can be better spent on a starter or a catcher. In today's baseball world $4 million per annum is a below average salary. Gives us better bench depth too in the future if Sanchez comes up next year or if we obtain a 3B prospect for Floyd....

... and I agree that the comparison to Teahan is off base... Keppinger has been a more consistnt two way player and is a known quantity
Old 12-05-2012, 01:49 PM
WSI Church Elder

I like this move. If the Sox manage to find a good third baseman to fulfill the starting role next year, Keppinger could slide into a supersub role and give you solid output, offensively and defensively.

He's not THE piece, but he is certainly A piece. Good signing Mr. Hahn. Now get a catcher and a reliever or two, and we are good.

Last Game: N/A
Next Game: TBD
Nacho Helmet Count: 0

- 2011 WSI H2H2 Keeper League Runner-up (Relatively Decent)

Frank Thomas, Hall of Famer. I love the sound of that.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:49 PM
WSI High Priest

As most know I watch most of the Rays games and Keppinger is a solid contact hitter. Trouble in TB is that Madden plays musical infielders a lot especially with Longoria missing a large part of last season. One never got the feeling of how guys played at any one position because they were constantly moved around. I still think Keppinger can be our answer at 3b and fill the role of a number 2 hitter in the lineup.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 12-05-2012 at 01:56 PM.