White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 05:25 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKlu59 View Post
Brilliant sage minds think alike...Poor attempt at a johnny come lately fad league wide. Also made Bull Luzinski look like trying to fit 30 lbs of sausage in a 1 lb casing. Not a fave of a purist who was weaned on pinstripes and and the diagonal SOX script.

BK59
How about Smokey Burgess in those 83 togs.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:28 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
And you just came up with about the only possible way to have made that uniform even more embarrassing.

The "batter man" was not on the jersey; only on the dugout jacket.
I just meant that the "batter man" should have been on the hat.

"I give you five minutes when we get there. Anything happens in that five minutes and I'm yours. No matter what. Anything a minute on either side of that and you're on your own. I don't sit in while you're running it down. I don't carry a gun. I drive."
Old 12-06-2012, 12:58 AM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai_sox View Post
I just meant that the "batter man" should have been on the hat.
I knew what you meant. That's what I was referring to when I said that was about the only way possible to make that uniform even more embarrassing. I wouldn't wear the propeller beanie home cap during those years, only the road cap. If it had the "batter man" on it, I wouldn't have gotten one at all.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 12-06-2012, 07:58 AM
WSI Church Elder

I was never a fan of the "batter man" logo. To me it looked like it belonged on a street sign.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:27 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
How about Smokey Burgess in those 83 togs.
Oh Lordy Lordy... He'd look like a Range ball rollin down to first base !!! Big Klu would have to turn his into a Stanley Kowalski wife beater... No way he'd get those guns in a Chicago Park District Softball Uni..

BK59
Old 12-06-2012, 01:35 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Barchetta View Post
I was never a fan of the "batter man" logo. To me it looked like it belonged on a street sign.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:48 PM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

I love those uniforms, mostly because they were worn during my formative years as a fan (I was 10 in 1983). I really hated the late '80's uniforms with the curlicue C that looked more like an e. I will never feel nostalgia for those. It doesn't help that the team was miserably bad almost the entire time they wore them.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:41 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses_Scurry View Post
I love those uniforms, mostly because they were worn during my formative years as a fan (I was 10 in 1983). I really hated the late '80's uniforms with the curlicue C that looked more like an e. I will never feel nostalgia for those. It doesn't help that the team was miserably bad almost the entire time they wore them.
There seems to be a bit of nostalgia with those. I have a Frank Thomas jersey from that model and I constantly get asked where I got it. I also see lots of people wearing that cap around town.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:00 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses_Scurry View Post
I thought the uniforms were OK (after they removed the numbers from the pants), but I hated the caps. I remember towards the end of that era, the SOX had put together a pretty good team under Torborg and Larry Himes produced some great home-grown talent; McDowell, Ventura and Thomas to name a few. The SOX were still in the West division and although they played well against the A's, Oakland kept winning the division.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:02 PM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

Quote:
I thought the uniforms were OK (after they removed the numbers from the pants), but I hated the caps. I remember towards the end of that era, the SOX had put together a pretty good team under Torborg and Larry Himes produced some great home-grown talent; McDowell, Ventura and Thomas to name a few. The SOX were still in the West division and although they played well against the A's, Oakland kept winning the division.
As I recall, the '90 team was the last to wear the curlicues. Coincidentally it was the first year of the minidynasty. The uniforms didn't even survive the season as they started wearing the black pinstripes in the 2nd half.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:24 PM
WSI Personality

At least the Sox letters aren't red last last year's throwbacks from the 70s. I just don't understand why the team would have ever designed a Sox logo in red when there's a team named the Red Sox playing in their same sport.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:26 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMestan View Post
Ugly!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You mean WINNING UGLY!
Old 12-06-2012, 06:05 PM
WSI Church Elder

They must have changed the cut of those uniforms, because they were awful in 1983 and awesome in 2008, in my opinion.

Just compared the uniforms, one major difference which I think affects the look quite a bit is the originals had a three inch navy blue band in lieu of a belt, while the throwbacks use a belt similar to the modern uniforms. Makes a huge difference, plus the modern material compared to polyester of the original along with the looser style players wear today really improves the look.

Last edited by TheVulture; 12-06-2012 at 06:15 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:05 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jinx View Post
At least the Sox letters aren't red last last year's throwbacks from the 70s. I just don't understand why the team would have ever designed a Sox logo in red when there's a team named the Red Sox playing in their same sport.

This again?

I maintain that they adopted red to emulate the the successful teams of the NL that wore red, particularly the Reds. But I have no proof of that, just a guess. After all, the Red Sox and Tigers won the AL in 1967-68, and in 1969 the Sox trotted out with the same design of uniform. Coincidence? Don't think so. Likewise, the "Big Red Machine" tore up the NL in 1970. The next year, the Sox trot out red uniforms.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:18 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
It makes for a cool T, particularly the one with the Chicago skyline. I actually found an original I had when I was about eight or nine years old recently and gave it to my GF's kid, he wears it all the time now. It has autographs of Kittle, Ken Williams, Thigpen and Greg Walker on the front.