White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 05:44 PM
WSI Church Elder

It looks like we have a Major League third baseman. Now we need a Major League second baseman.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:52 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
Keppinger's strengths are his versatility and the fact that he hits the **** out of left-handed pitching.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...&year=2012&t=b

He batted .376 with an OPS over .900 against LHP last season. He's a career .333 hitter against LHP.
He also popped 9 HRs out of the park last year which was a career high for him. I hope that continues. If he hits for high avg, makes good contact, and supplies 8-10HRs, I'll be happy. My only reservation about this signing is that we won't be getting a ton of power out of the 3B spot which is traditionally a power type position. Perhaps his HR total will be helped by those warm July games at 35th and Shields when the ball is jumping.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 12-05-2012, 06:05 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
He also popped 9 HRs out of the park last year which was a career high for him. I hope that continues. If he hits for high avg, makes good contact, and supplies 8-10HRs, I'll be happy. My only reservation about this signing is that we won't be getting a ton of power out of the 3B spot which is traditionally a power type position. Perhaps his HR total will be helped by those warm July games at 35th and Shields when the ball is jumping.
I'm not too worried about the HRs.

The Sox need people who can put the ball in play, badly.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:11 PM
WSI High Priest

Sounds like a "Herbert Perry" type of fill in at 3rd- the 3rd year doesn't really thrill me- but sounds like he can help as a utility guy if we find a real stud for 3rd by 2015.

What's the word on his defense?
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 12-05-2012, 06:14 PM
WSI Church Elder

Location: Yes in Ranhco Sahuarita, AZ...(WAS near the home of White Sox spring training baseball)
Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Sox didn't have many options so this signing is OK by me.

Lip
I agree...Nice glove!!
Old 12-05-2012, 06:15 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
I'm not too worried about the HRs.

The Sox need people who can put the ball in play, badly.
We took a positive step in that direction last season. Still a lot of progress to be made though. And it would help if we were built for six months instead of five-and-a-half.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:16 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Sounds like a "Herbert Perry" type of fill in at 3rd- the 3rd year doesn't really thrill me- but sounds like he can help as a utility guy if we find a real stud for 3rd by 2015.

What's the word on his defense?
Probably better than what the Sox were getting from gimpy Youk at 3B, but he won't wow you. Good hands, but nothing special range-wise.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 12-05-2012, 06:35 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Of course you want power in that role. But there was VERY little out there who would supply that wish.

RV is walking through the door, but not on the diamond.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:33 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Makes one seriously consider DHing him for Dunn against LHP.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:41 PM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
I'm a bit puzzled by some of the skepticism. Nothing to not like about him for $4M per. He is a style of hitter we are sorely lacking, and though he isn't the sexy move to compete offensively that we always hope for, he makes us better immediately in a position of weakness.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives- Jackie Robinson

www.twitter.com/Spawn_03
Old 12-05-2012, 08:01 PM
WSI Personality

[QUOTE=Foulke You;3010864]He also popped 9 HRs out of the park last year which was a career high for him. I hope that continues. If he hits for high avg, makes good contact, and supplies 8-10HRs, I'll be happy. My only reservation about this signing is that we won't be getting a ton of power out of the 3B spot which is traditionally a power type position. Perhaps his HR total will be helped by those warm July games at 35th and Shields when the ball is jumping.[/QUOTE

I just hope no one seriously thinks that guys are going to hit 5-7 more home runs a year because they play at the Cell anymore. Not saying you do but after hearing it about Dunn, Rios, Teahen, pretty much every batter the Sox have traded for the last couple years I've grown weary of it. Doesn't seem like it makes all that much of a difference to be honest.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:14 PM
WSI Personality

I like the move. I like like it alot more if the SOX pick up another IF who can play pretty good D all over the diamond, hit LH and hit RHP very well. Play Keppinger at 3B against all LHP plus about half the games against RHP, and let the other IF take 2 games a weeks or so at 3B. Figgins, Rolen, Kelly Johnson, Inge and maybe even Wigginton would all be options on the FA market.

I am sure Hahn will make a few deals before all is said and done. Maybe he will pick up that IF via a trade.

2012 Attendance Record: 6-4
2011 Attendance Record: 3-3
2010 Attendance Record: 4-3
Old 12-05-2012, 08:15 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkChopExpress View Post
Also, he has a couple of ties to our clubhouse already. He played 2 years with Dunn in Cincy, and he's a Georgia Bulldog, like Gordo.
Heyman noted on MLB just now that Keppinger has ties with Buddy Bell also, which is another reason he chose the Sox.

As KRS said, it's not a sexy move, but the Sox got what they needed. I like TDog's idea of slotting Keppinger in at #2 in the lineup.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:39 PM
WSI High Priest

Definitely a Kenny-like under the radar move. The only negative is three years may be a bit much, but he's also not real expensive. Don't know a lot about him, but if he can stay somewhere near his career numbers, this is a good move.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:11 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
As KRS said, it's not a sexy move, but the Sox got what they needed. I like TDog's idea of slotting Keppinger in at #2 in the lineup.
Agreed. Scott Podsednik wasn't a sexy move either, but he filled a giant need for the team. The small moves can make a big difference over the course of a long season.

3 years at 4 million per year is not a bad deal for the Sox, especially for a guy whose history suggests he can flirt with a .300 average and get on base regularly while playing above average defense. I'm sure a lot of teams would love to have a guy like that.