White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 09:20 PM
WSI Church Elder

Why the fuss about not signing Chavez? He's 2+ years older than Keppinger and last year was the first since 06 that he played in over 100 games. He's nowhere near the GG 3B man he was at Oakland. The Sox did about as well as they could in signing Keppinger.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:34 PM
WSI Personality

I am okay with this signing. Pretty decent bat and relatively cheap. We'll see how goes it.

Anticipated next game: Unknown
Old 12-05-2012, 09:47 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
Why the fuss about not signing Chavez? He's 2+ years older than Keppinger and last year was the first since 06 that he played in over 100 games. He's nowhere near the GG 3B man he was at Oakland. The Sox did about as well as they could in signing Keppinger.

Neither is a knock my Socks off move.

But I think Chavez would bring more pop and a much needed left handed stick with AJ leaving.

Regardless, both are upgrades over Morel.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:02 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Neither is a knock my Socks off move.

But I think Chavez would bring more pop and a much needed left handed stick with AJ leaving.

Regardless, both are upgrades over Morel.
He can't stay on the field. His back can't handle it anymore. He was done by the playoffs last season.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:04 PM
WSI Prelate

I approve this move. It would be nice to find a LH platoon partner with similar positional flexibility, ideally with some pop and an ability to play LF and RF; someone like a younger Rob Mackowiak (for lack of a better comparison), or a Mark Teahen-type with a smaller contract. Then, I'd like to bring back AJ and ease him into a platoon with Flowers. This would give Ventura a decent lineup with which he could play matchups and have pinch hitting options.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:06 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Heyman noted on MLB just now that Keppinger has ties with Buddy Bell also, which is another reason he chose the Sox.

As KRS said, it's not a sexy move, but the Sox got what they needed. I like TDog's idea of slotting Keppinger in at #2 in the lineup.
He's a #2 hitter but he can't run. Like Youk! I'm still OK with this. If Morel comes back strong (never say never) you have a nice problem which may affect other infield positions.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:08 PM
WSI Guru

Joe Madden tonight said Keppinger's defense is better than people think for what that's worth to you.

Lip
Old 12-06-2012, 06:42 AM
2013 Preseason Prediction Contest Champion

Joe Maddon had enough confidence in Keppinger to use him at all the IF positions and hit him in several slots in the lineup. And IMO Maddon doesn't ask players to do things they're not capable of.

Overall he should fit well with the White Sox.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:28 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Joe Madden tonight said Keppinger's defense is better than people think for what that's worth to you.

Lip
He OK, just doesn't have a lot of range.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
He OK, just doesn't have a lot of range.
Yeah I'd like him a lot better at 2B. If we're gonna just punt offense from one of the spots, why not move Gordon back to 3rd? He's adequate there defensively.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:17 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post

Yeah I'd like him a lot better at 2B. If we're gonna just punt offense from one of the spots, why not move Gordon back to 3rd? He's adequate there defensively.
Gordon is a better 2B than 3B. Beckham, as frustrating as he is is actually not a terrible offensive 2B plus his defense is top notch. Moving him to 3B would absolutely crush what little value he brings to this team.

0-4

LAST GAME: May 31 - Padres 4, Sox 2
NEXT GAME: Maybe never? Apparently I am bad luck
Old 12-06-2012, 10:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Gordon is a better 2B than 3B. Beckham, as frustrating as he is is actually not a terrible offensive 2B plus his defense is top notch. Moving him to 3B would absolutely crush what little value he brings to this team.
IDK...I mean, we're gonna get his offensive production and Keppinger's no matter the position anyway. Keppinger is better than average at 2B. Beckham might be better defensively there, but we might be better defensively overall with these pieces if he plays third.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:52 AM
WSI Church Elder

I think this move signals the end of Beckham in 2014 with a hunt for another 3B that year.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:25 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehozenychicty View Post
Of course you want power in that role. But there was VERY little out there who would supply that wish.

RV is walking through the door, but not on the diamond.
Yeah, this year's FA 3B class was very weak which is why we did ok with Keppinger considering what was out there. I wasn't advocating for Mark Reynolds or anything. You just don't want to go back to what happened in 2010 where we got out slugged in our own ballpark. We would have likely needed to part with Floyd (or more) to get a quality 3B who could do everything. As I said, if Keppinger gives us 7-10 HRs, I'll be satisfied with his power output considering how he handles the bat and hits for contact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingo10 View Post
I just hope no one seriously thinks that guys are going to hit 5-7 more home runs a year because they play at the Cell anymore. Not saying you do but after hearing it about Dunn, Rios, Teahen, pretty much every batter the Sox have traded for the last couple years I've grown weary of it. Doesn't seem like it makes all that much of a difference to be honest.
I agree with you that our ballpark being a pure "launching pad" is a bit overblown. It's really only that way from mid June through late August. In April and May when it is chilly, the ball does not carry well at all. However, there is no question that The Cell gives up its share of cheapies in the warm months, especially in the corners. I'm not sure what part of the field Keppinger likes to hit to, but it isn't out of the question that he adds a *few* to his HR total during the hot days at The Cell that he otherwise wouldn't have gotten. You are correct that it would definitely be a mistake to assume he'll start cranking out 20HRs now just because he is in our ballpark.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 12-06-2012, 11:30 AM
WSI Church Elder

Meanwhile, the Yanks are offering a 1-year 12M deal for Youk.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...ording-sources